collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Reunion Weekend Suggestions?  (Read 5824 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Reunion Weekend Suggestions?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 01:25:13 PM »
True dat.  Nice to see for those who haven't been back in awhile.

I was wow-ed when I ran along the riverwalk one morning and noticed the multiple apartment complexes going up along the river especially near the Lakefront Brewery.
Made my first visit ever to the 3rd Ward.
And in a weird twist of fate, we went to The Domes.  I had only been to the park before for Mr. Jiggles Fest.  My first time going inside in 30 years and 2 or the 3 domes were closed for maintenance.  Go figure?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »
I was wow-ed when I ran along the riverwalk one morning and noticed the multiple apartment complexes going up along the river especially near the Lakefront Brewery.
Made my first visit ever to the 3rd Ward.
And in a weird twist of fate, we went to The Domes.  I had only been to the park before for Mr. Jiggles Fest.  My first time going inside in 30 years and 2 or the 3 domes were closed for maintenance.  Go figure?

I ccouldn't even name one person I knew who ventured to the domes in the 4.5 years I was there. (2011-2015) Not a popular spot anymore.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
I ccouldn't even name one person I knew who ventured to the domes in the 4.5 years I was there. (2011-2015) Not a popular spot anymore.

It's not closed for maintenance.  It's closed because it was literally falling down.  It's not going to open back up any time soon.  It's going to cost $75 million to fix.

I know a bride who had her wedding booked there and was told only a few weeks beforehand that she had to find somewhere else to have her reception.

https://www.biztimes.com/2016/02/08/mitchell-park-domes/
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
It's not closed for maintenance.  It's closed because it was literally falling down.  It's not going to open back up any time soon.  It's going to cost $75 million to fix.

I know a bride who had her wedding booked there and was told only a few weeks beforehand that she had to find somewhere else to have her reception.

https://www.biztimes.com/2016/02/08/mitchell-park-domes/

Bummer!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 03:26:52 PM »
I couldn't even name one person I knew who ventured to the domes in the 4.5 years I was there. (2011-2015) Not a popular spot anymore.

Actually, that's not true.  Attendance in 2015 was 240,000 and had increased 28% over the past five years.  And that doesn't count the new green house area where a winter farmer's market is held each Saturday morning November through April. 

All three are being repaired, with one open now and the other two to be open (allegedly) by the end of October.  It won't be a permanent fix, but one that will allow them to reopen for now.  And yes, a bunch of brides had to scramble, which had to be pretty awful, but better than having a chunk of concrete hit her tiara. 

And not particularly surprising, the Domes have apparently been a hot bed of Pokeman Go activity. 
Ludum habemus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »

And not particularly surprising, the Domes have apparently been a hot bed of Pokeman Go activity.

My kids were looking.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »
Did it last year, nothing is the same, no Korchinoffs, Whiskey-a-go-go,  Abbot Crest,  Mells, Fin'n Feather, Vogue, Angelo's or Varsity.   Memories were at the Pfister, great breakfasts and some old Milwaukee class.

Most attendees were Milwaukee locals (commuter students) or frat. sorority types.  Such is life, the world changes.  My "friends" have mostly passed away, my freshman/soph. room mate, sr. room mate, college "sweatheart", best friend, and all the bartenders. 

Enjoy your trip, see you at the Garden.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 05:10:23 PM »
Did it last year, nothing is the same, no Korchinoffs, Whiskey-a-go-go,  Abbot Crest,  Mells, Fin'n Feather, Vogue, Angelo's or Varsity.   Memories were at the Pfister, great breakfasts and some old Milwaukee class.

Most attendees were Milwaukee locals (commuter students) or frat. sorority types.  Such is life, the world changes.  My "friends" have mostly passed away, my freshman/soph. room mate, sr. room mate, college "sweatheart", best friend, and all the bartenders. 

We're your friends vogue.  Even if you are old as dirt.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2016, 10:17:34 AM »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »
We're your friends vogue.  Even if you are old as dirt.

Thanks I needed that, sometimes I wonder who I would be if I had remained in Milwaukee????
I lived in Milwaukee for 5 1/2 years, I'm a slow learner, and I still love the city and university. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »

Fin'n' Feather is still alive and well (as a divebar) in Greenfield http://www.yelp.com/biz/fin-n-feather-milwaukee

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »
Fin'n' Feather is still alive and well (as a divebar) in Greenfield http://www.yelp.com/biz/fin-n-feather-milwaukee

Far cry from the night we had the Secret Service and Lucy J.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 09:40:49 PM »
The Palms became Hoops in the early '80's, featuring Tarzana.  That's what I heard, at least.   ;)

Bingo!  Thanks.  Without guys like us rehashing some of these legendary moments, they would all become just a dusty footnote only in our memories.
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback