[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...

stay at 10 teams
53 (32.7%)
add UConn and Dayton
33 (20.4%)
add UConn and VCU (Gtown may veto)
14 (8.6%)
add UConn and highest ranked team available (Wichita St?)
18 (11.1%)
add UConn and someone else
44 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...  (Read 72819 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »
We can speculate, wish and hope about the possibility of UConn coming back to the Big East. But I see no reason to believe UConn will give up on football if the Big 12 doesn't extend an invite — or if the AAC falls apart.

To be fair, the prospect of losing Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis would pretty much be the AAC falling apart.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
To be fair, the prospect of losing Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis would pretty much be the AAC falling apart.

Agreed. If that happens, I'll bet it doesn't change UConn's outlook in the slightest.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »

I don't really agree with that.  There are a number of solid schools in there that still make it a viable conference.  If they add the likes of UAB, MTSU and Charlotte, it would still be the strongest non-BCS conference outside of the Mountain West. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2016, 02:46:21 PM »
I don't really agree with that.  There are a number of solid schools in there that still make it a viable conference.  If they add the likes of UAB, MTSU and Charlotte, it would still be the strongest non-BCS conference outside of the Mountain West.

I had to look up who MTSU was and I bet you 99% of sports fans would have too.  That doesn't make them a solid school. 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2016, 02:57:02 PM »
The AAC will have its choice of decent college football schools. Conference USA (Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Southern Mississippi, etc.) is the most likely to be targeted. You could probably make a case for MAC schools like Bowling Green or Toledo — if you're just looking at strength in football.

This follows a familiar pattern going back to the early days of the Big East football conference: 1) schools with better football programs leave for greener pastures in the Power Five; 2) those schools are replaced by others with slightly lesser football programs and often mediocre to pathetic basketball programs; 3) the overall strength and significance of the conference is diminished; 4) the process is inevitably repeated, often within a year or two.

This may keep the AAC alive as a conference. But it doesn't get UConn any closer to joining the Power Five. If anything, it illustrates how little UConn football matters on a national level.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
The AAC will have its choice of decent college football schools. Conference USA (Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Southern Mississippi, etc.) is the most likely to be targeted. You could probably make a case for MAC schools like Bowling Green or Toledo — if you're just looking at strength in football.

This follows a familiar pattern going back to the early days of the Big East football conference: 1) schools with better football programs leave for greener pastures in the Power Five; 2) those schools are replaced by others with slightly lesser football programs and often mediocre to pathetic basketball programs; 3) the overall strength and significance of the conference is diminished; 4) the process is inevitably repeated, often within a year or two.

This may keep the AAC alive as a conference. But it doesn't get UConn any closer to joining the Power Five. If anything, it illustrates how little UConn football matters on a national level.

Do you know anything about Southern Mississippi, they are the dregs of Conference USA and will continue to be.  They are lucky they didn't get a death penalty.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2016, 03:03:41 PM »
I had to look up who MTSU was and I bet you 99% of sports fans would have too.  That doesn't make them a solid school.

In a quick glance of CUSA schools, they stood out.  But I guess I pay attention to more than their Q scores.  I mean, MTSU just upset Michigan State in the NCAA tournament this year. 

But Marcus had some other good suggestions.  Bowling Green, etc. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »

Exactly.  Which is why I find MUFINY suggestion that their admittance to the ACC is "just a matter of time" to be highly suspect.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2016, 03:11:10 PM »
Do you know anything about Southern Mississippi, they are the dregs of Conference USA and will continue to be.  They are lucky they didn't get a death penalty.

I don't follow college football or care much about it — outside of how it impacts my favorite sport (college basketball) and team (Marquette).

Southern Miss was only an example. I know next to nothing about the school, apart from their conference affiliation and nickname. But I wouldn't get too hung up on which teams the AAC will add before the Big 12 has made any expansion announcement. Given their history, the university presidents might not be able to agree on a single candidate.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
Exactly.  Which is why I find MUFINY suggestion that their admittance to the ACC is "just a matter of time" to be highly suspect.
Don't shoot the messenger . I was just reporting what ESPN told me.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #285 on: August 01, 2016, 10:17:39 AM »
Don't shoot the messenger . I was just reporting what ESPN told me.

There's a difference between that which ESPN "reports" and that on which ESPN "opines."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #286 on: August 01, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »
I'm seeing some "TV partner" stories out there today.  They have no interest in paying more for Memphis or Houston.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 01, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »
I'm seeing some "TV partner" stories out there today.  They have no interest in paying more for Memphis or Houston.

It's all negotiation.  Don't pay too much attention to it.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #288 on: August 03, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »
My feelings about UConn, who sold out their basketball excellence in the pursuit of mediocre football, accelerating the demise of the Superconference Big East, now complaining about having to play basketball games against East Carolina and UCF, and begging to be admitted back into the Big East.

“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 03, 2016, 11:19:49 AM »
My feelings about UConn, who sold out their basketball excellence in the pursuit of mediocre football, accelerating the demise of the Superconference Big East, now complaining about having to play basketball games against East Carolina and UCF, and begging to be admitted back into the Big East.

THEY ARE????

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #290 on: August 03, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »
It amazes me that some here still believe that UConn wants to come back to the Big East.  Top comments from the Boneyard this morning:

"I understand the nostalgia for some people, especially those who limit themselves to the MBB board. But, how many memorable games against Xavier, DePaul, Providence, Marquette, Butler, Seton Hall, Creighton, St. Johns, do you really remember? Villanova and Georgetown are the only real rivals still in that league and we don't need to be in it to play them. It's also not like the BE is a northeast bus league anymore either. Do you guys know where Creighton, Depaul, and Marquette are located?"

"Yeah I know EXACTLY where those leech schools are located. As for your comment memorable games..I remember games against St Johns, PC many times...and Marquette a few times, Fact of the matter is as a fan I want absolutely NOTHING to do with those schools any more except maybe a OOC game in hoops, and dealing with PC in HE!"

UConn, their fans, alumni, administration and students want nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the Big East.  Exactly why would we want to invite a school that has zero interest in being a part of the conference?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #291 on: August 03, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »
It amazes me that some here still believe that UConn wants to come back to the Big East.  Top comments from the Boneyard this morning:

UConn, their fans, alumni, administration and students want nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the Big East.  Exactly why would we want to invite a school that has zero interest in being a part of the conference?

I think you are right that UCONN and their fans are focused on P5 and not BE, but pulling opinions from the boneyard to support your position is like claiming statements in the comments section of JS Online is a good representation of what people in WI think.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »

"I understand the nostalgia for some people, especially those who limit themselves to the MBB board. But, how many memorable games against Xavier, DePaul, Providence, Marquette, Butler, Seton Hall, Creighton, St. Johns, do you really remember? Villanova and Georgetown are the only real rivals still in that league and we don't need to be in it to play them. It's also not like the BE is a northeast bus league anymore either. Do you guys know where Creighton, Depaul, and Marquette are located?"

"Yeah I know EXACTLY where those leech schools are located. As for your comment memorable games..I remember games against St Johns, PC many times...and Marquette a few times, Fact of the matter is as a fan I want absolutely NOTHING to do with those schools any more except maybe a OOC game in hoops, and dealing with PC in HE!"

Boneyard is about the last place you should go for rational opinions on UConn. Just like Scoop is one the last places you should go for rational opinions on Marquette.

There is a chunk of the fan base that would love to be back in the BEast but many aren't quite ready to give up on football. The administration might not be as against the idea as you think. But they are still holding out hope for that P5 invite.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #293 on: August 04, 2016, 02:36:37 PM »
I am just glad we don't have to worry about the football musical chairs any more.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #294 on: August 04, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »
I am just glad we don't have to worry about the football musical chairs any more.
You said it. Thank You, FS1!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2016, 10:32:10 AM »
You said it. Thank You, FS1!

Yup all MU and the rest of the Big East schools have to do is stand pat and sit pretty. I love UCONN from a basketball perspective, but the BE doesn't need them in the slightest. Were raking in the cash from the TV contract and we have the defending national champions, with both Nova and X poised to have another great season.

I used to be in the camp that said take UCONN no matter what, but after their comments from fans and their AD they can go ahead and rot in the AAC.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #296 on: August 05, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »
Yup all MU and the rest of the Big East schools have to do is stand pat and sit pretty. I love UCONN from a basketball perspective, but the BE doesn't need them in the slightest. Were raking in the cash from the TV contract and we have the defending national champions, with both Nova and X poised to have another great season.

I used to be in the camp that said take UCONN no matter what, but after their comments from fans and their AD they can go ahead and rot in the AAC.

We do need them. Not now, but by 2026 (I think that's the year). BEast basketball ratings have been extremely underwhelming. If we don't give Fox more bang for their buck, no way we get anywhere close to this kind of money when we renew our contract. Best things we can do are keep winning (not totally in our control) and add programs that move the needle. UConn moves the needle more than any other program we could reasonably hope for.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #297 on: August 05, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »
We do need them. Not now, but by 2026 (I think that's the year). BEast basketball ratings have been extremely underwhelming. If we don't give Fox more bang for their buck, no way we get anywhere close to this kind of money when we renew our contract. Best things we can do are keep winning (not totally in our control) and add programs that move the needle. UConn moves the needle more than any other program we could reasonably hope for.

Don't necessarily disagree with your line of thinking, but I'm not sure the underwhelming ratings are because of the product being presented. UConn does move the needle so it wouldn't hurt certainly but I'm not sure how well FS1 has done to drive eyeballs to the product. They are in year 3 of their new enterprise and have some relatively established shows/platforms, I think this is the year we see whether the Big East sinks or swims from a ratings perspective.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #298 on: August 05, 2016, 02:54:06 PM »
Don't necessarily disagree with your line of thinking, but I'm not sure the underwhelming ratings are because of the product being presented. UConn does move the needle so it wouldn't hurt certainly but I'm not sure how well FS1 has done to drive eyeballs to the product. They are in year 3 of their new enterprise and have some relatively established shows/platforms, I think this is the year we see whether the Big East sinks or swims from a ratings perspective.

With MU taking a 28-2 record into the Big East Tournament, FS1 ratings will be soaring, my friend!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #299 on: August 05, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
With MU taking a 28-2 record into the Big East Tournament, FS1 ratings will be soaring, my friend!

2 losses?!? Pessimist.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.