collapse

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Could Brazil's Financial Crisis Lead to Olympic Cancellation?  (Read 8621 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Could Brazil's Financial Crisis Lead to Olympic Cancellation?

Apr 20, 2016
Jeremy Botter

http://www.flotrack.org/article/41140-could-brazil-s-financial-crisis-lead-to-olympic-cancellation

It is not a likely scenario. But warnings of financial peril have begun to emerge from leaders in Rio de Janeiro, the host of the XXXI Olympiad scheduled to begin in August.

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Could Brazil's Financial Crisis Lead to Olympic Cancellation?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »
No.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »
But it could make other nations look more closely at the logistics of hosting the Olympics. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 07:33:22 PM »
I remember complaining 6 years ago of how terrible a decision this was by the IOC. Now it's 2016 and I'm still right. (probably with a bunch of other people to be fair)

Standing by what my 16 year old self said the day Rio got it, I'm boycotting it completely, no merchandise this year like I usually get, and not even watching a single event. It it petty? Sure, but every reasonable person knew this was going to be a bad idea, just how Qatar is a terrible world cup destination.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »
But it could make other nations look more closely at the logistics of hosting the Olympics.

Their is only one city in the world that has all the facilities to run the Olympics ... LA/Orange County.  For years the word has been that LA/Orange country is the emergency backup.  UCLA's dorms would serve as the Olympic village.

It's never happened.  Maybe this is the year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »
I remember complaining 6 years ago of how terrible a decision this was by the IOC. Now it's 2016 and I'm still right. (probably with a bunch of other people to be fair)

Standing by what my 16 year old self said the day Rio got it, I'm boycotting it completely, no merchandise this year like I usually get, and not even watching a single event. It it petty? Sure, but every reasonable person knew this was going to be a bad idea, just how Qatar is a terrible world cup destination.

You should be grateful that the IOC selected Rio. You want the financial mess in Chicago and Illinois to be even worse? 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 07:48:45 PM »

You should be grateful that the IOC selected Rio. You want the financial mess in Chicago and Illinois to be even worse?

This. + Infinity

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 07:53:17 PM »

Boston was going to be the US nominee for 2024, but local concerns about finances caused them to give it up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/sports/olympics/boston-2024-summer-olympics-bid-terminated.html?_r=0

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:19:25 PM »
I've always been against nations building stuff just for the Olympics/World Cup. They always sell it as an economic boom, but the infrastructure is rarely maintained/used.

Now, if a country or group of countries already has everything in place, go nuts.

Seem like a good way to invite corruption, waste of resources, etc.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:42:59 PM »
Their is only one city in the world that has all the facilities to run the Olympics ... LA/Orange County.  For years the word has been that LA/Orange country is the emergency backup.  UCLA's dorms would serve as the Olympic village.

No longer true.  Beijing is also ready to take the games on a moment's notice, and i've heard they are the first option if Rio falls through.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:02:24 PM »
Wouldn't most or all of London's facilities be around?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 09:09:53 PM »

I think London reduced the size of their olympic facilities greatly. Plus Olympic Stadium is going to be the new stadium for West Ham starting next season so that's out as well.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »

London built lots of structures designed to be taken down. I bet there's less left than you'd think.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 09:24:40 PM »
This. + Infinity

LA made it happen with a profit.  Comes down to leadership, good management, etc.  Salt Lake City also pulled it off.

Peter Ueberoth and Mitt Romney

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »
LA made it happen with a profit.  Comes down to leadership, good management, etc.  Salt Lake City also pulled it off.

We're talking about Chicago/Illinois here, where there's been no state budget for 9 months, and corruption reigns. The Olympics would have been perfect here.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »

Was the same money being spent in 1984 as it is now? I feel like every new place has to "out do" the one before

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 09:32:28 PM »

Are you sure cities such as New York, Chicago, Dallas also are not viable?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 09:34:40 PM »
LA smartly used existing facilities or built facilities that were reused. Atlanta too.  And those games were 32 and 20 years ago.

But I have no doubt that Chicago would have blown their budget completely.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 09:35:39 PM »
Are you sure cities such as New York, Chicago, Dallas also are not viable?

Chicago doesn't have a big enough stadium for the opening ceremony and track. They could pull off most other things with the UC, soldier field, mccormick place and the lake but the track is an issue. Plus no olympic village either.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »
Chicago doesn't have a big enough stadium for the opening ceremony and track. They could pull off most other things with the UC, soldier field, mccormick place and the lake but the track is an issue. Plus no olympic village either.

They could use the 15(?) colleges that have dorms in Chicago for that. You're right that the only physical venue issue would be the track field. What does Depaul's track look like? Or if there was reallllly a pinch, what would the logistics be of building a track from the Chicago Fire's stadium.

Edit: If this was truly an emergency backup, the opening ceremony would most likely be cut/shortened

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 09:38:45 PM »
LA smartly used existing facilities or built facilities that were reused. Atlanta too.  And those games were 32 and 20 years ago.

But I have no doubt that Chicago would have blown their budget completely.

I do remember some of the plan. The Olympic Stadium was supposed to be in Washington park on the Southside and they were gonna build it to be reduced in size later. Olympic village was going to be on Notherly Island and then converted to condos. Most everything else was going to be in existing facilities with McCormick place taking pretty much all of the indoor events. Hardly a budget breaker.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:40:39 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »
The best thing to happen to Chicago in the last ten years was losing the Olympic bid.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 11:08:53 PM »
We're talking about Chicago/Illinois here, where there's been no state budget for 9 months, and corruption reigns. The Olympics would have been perfect here.

Exactly....lack of leadership.  My point is it can happen, but Chicago is corrupt to the core and devoid of leadership.  So I don't disagree with you, it would have been a disaster for Chicago.  My point was more that it has been successfully done in this country, SLC, Atlanta, LA, with the proper management and leadership.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 11:12:22 PM »
Was the same money being spent in 1984 as it is now? I feel like every new place has to "out do" the one before

Atlanta was profitable, too.  That was in the 1990's.  SLC was in the 2000's.    I understand your point, but the "out do" model is as much a knock on the incompetency of the organizing committees, cities, etc, that use the Olympics as a way to FUEL infrastructure.  They reap what they sow.  That's about management, that's about leadership.  You can't always have the shiniest toys and expect the piper doesn't demand payment.  Too many cities, local gov'ts, etc, don't quite get this.

feedback