'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Changes Official Visit Rules, Help or Hurt MU?  (Read 3810 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
NCAA Changes Official Visit Rules, Help or Hurt MU?
« on: April 19, 2016, 10:18:07 PM »
Rule change announced today

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/story/_/id/15271513/ncaa-passes-rule-allowing-institutions-pay-two-guardians-accompany-recruits-official-visits

On an official visit the school will pay for up to two parents and/or guardians to accompany the recruit.  Prior rule was just the recruit was paid for by the school.

My thinking is this helps schools that recruit nationally and hurts schools that recruit regionally.  Recruit can travel across the country with parents, more likely to warm up to a school with mom and dad in tow.

An example, MU has more of a national reach that UW.  Helps them.  Additionally, future state of Wisconsin studs that are considering Madison can now take their parents with them to visit other schools, easier to wow them away from Bucky.

These are thought to get the ball rolling.  Agree/disagree?  Other thoughts?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:25:00 PM by Heisenberg »

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: NCAA Changes Official Visit Rules, Help or Hurt MU?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »
Your first thought after reading this article was about the Badgers?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/story/_/id/15271513/ncaa-passes-rule-allowing-institutions-pay-two-guardians-accompany-recruits-official-visits

On an official visit the school will pay for up to two parents and/or guardians to accompany the recruit.  Prior rule was just the recruit was paid for by the school.

My thinking is this helps schools that recruit nationally and hurts schools that recruit regionally.  Recruit can travel across the country with parents, more likely to warm up to a school with mom and dad in tow.

If you want to be blunt, MU has more of a national reach that UW.  Helps them.  Additionally, future state of Wisconsin studs that are considering Madison can now take their parents with them to visit other schools, easier to wow them away from Bucky.

I seem to remember Haanif brought his Mother with him on the trip to Cal and they had an earthquake, so that was the end of Cal lol

I think your are pros and cons. Yes bringing the whole family in theory brings the adult perspective into play, on the other hand it makes the communication three times as complicated. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 10:25:59 PM »
MU has a big recruiting budget. New rule might be more detrimental to lower budget schools. Maybe it is an anti-Louisville rule.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:26:43 PM »
Ok, here is another example.  Lots of other sites think this is a negative for the PAC-12 ... too expensive for recruits to take their parents east.  Now they can.  Gives the rest of the country better shot at getting west coast kids.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:31:39 PM »

If you want to be blunt, MU has more of a national reach that UW.  Helps them.  Additionally, future state of Wisconsin studs that are considering Madison can now take their parents with them to visit other schools, easier to wow them away from Bucky.

While all programs claim to foster a "family" feel, I really do feel that MU excels in this area. A truly tight-knit sense of community and belonging. And Wojo is really emphasizing rounding up and bringing back past players, and not just the "legends".  Parents of recruits seem to really feel this sense of family at Marquette, and feel good entrusting their sons to MU. So, I don't see how making it easier to bring the folks to Milwaukee could do anything but help us going forward.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »
MU has a big recruiting budget. New rule might be more detrimental to lower budget schools. Maybe it is an anti-Louisville rule.

Anti-Louisville ... because Slick Rick has to get more hostesses so they can "service" both recruit and dad (or maybe even mom) all at the same time?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 11:46:53 PM »

According to at least one recruit, his dad also received the..."deluxe" package
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 09:11:45 AM »
Anti-Louisville ... because Slick Rick has to get more hostesses so they can "service" both recruit and dad (or maybe even mom) all at the same time?

HAHA - this was my initial reaction too.  Says a lot about Pitino...
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »
I think the rule is good and will have negligible effect on recruiting for Marquette or any other big budget programs.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »

On an official visit the school will pay for up to two parents and/or guardians to accompany the recruit. Prior rule was just the recruit was paid for by the school.

An example, MU has more of a national reach that UW.  Helps them.  Additionally, future state of Wisconsin studs that are considering Madison can now take their parents with them to visit other schools, easier to wow them away from Bucky.

No - you are mistaken. This was a FBS football change. Men's basketball has been able to do this since 2011.

Bylaw 13.5.2.6.1 - read and learn.

Yes, I realize traditional media has done a horrendous job of reporting this "change" and understand why many are confused, but "well the media said so" is no excuse. Taking what the media says as likely being correct, especially when it comes to finance, compliance, rules & regs, is a no no.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 05:10:48 AM »
well it might cut down on the "hangover" movie-like moments heyheyheyn'a?  junior won't wake up with a bombay tiger in his room,  a mike tyson tat on half his face,  a full compliment of teeth and he can still pee straight
don't...don't don't don't don't

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »

I don't think MU has a better advantage over UW with this rule. I think it helps every school. I will tell you this, more kids know about Wisconsin than Marquette outside of the state of Wisconsin.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
I don't think MU has a better advantage over UW with this rule. I think it helps every school. I will tell you this, more kids know about Wisconsin than Marquette outside of the state of Wisconsin.

Based on what?  That Wisconsin is also the name of a state so by word association that can figure it out?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 05:32:07 PM »
Based on what?  That Wisconsin is also the name of a state so by word association that can figure it out?

Based on the rule isn't new - it's been in college basketball for 5 years.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.