Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Less-than-flattering take on JFB  (Read 20075 times)

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

CAGASS24

• All American
Re: Less-than-flattering take on JFB
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:22:28 AM »
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/bulls_reporter_jimmy_butler_has_collosal_ego_hangs_with_mark_wahlberg/s1_127_20716072

Only one guy's take, but pretty brutal nonetheless...

Seems like you could see this coming over the last two years - thibs leaving only cemented te deal - jimmy bet on himself and won - you understand why he's got an ego - but if you can't be an effective leader what's the point -

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
I think the Mark Wahlberg thing is a headline attention grab but there is something very wrong in that lockerroom and the rumors of the Bulls willing to trade Butler instead of just getting rid of the shell of D-Rose shows it has something to do with Butler. As Bucks fan, he is in my top five for players I can't stand. Just runs his mouth the whole game and not in a games manship kind of way either. (Basically in a Lance Stephenson kind of way where you question if something is wrong with him) It's too bad cause he has such a great background story, he should be one of the most loved players in the NBA. Then again, he probably wouldn't have made it this far if he was so warm and fuzzy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »
They have to trade Butler because the alternative for Gar/Pax is to get rid of their guy Hoiberg.  (And Gar/Pax is going to survive this debacle?)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »
For every negative story on JFB, there are - what - a hundred good stories?

Reminds me of a couple years ago when a few people wrote stuff trying to make DWade look like a bad person.  Now those articles are just background noise.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 09:21:04 AM »
View this story in the context of what the Bulls have and are. Rose has consistently been a horrible leader and teammate. Management asks JFB to step, he doesn't have developed leadership skills to execute that role and probably doesn't want that job. I think JFB getting traded would be the best thing for JFB and the Bulls. What can you get for Rose?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:23:03 AM »
Whoa ... an NBA star with a colossal ego? That is a shocking revelation.

Also, this comes from Sam Smith, the made his chops with unflattering portrayals of a previous Bulls star.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »
The Bulls were one of the most disappointing teams in the NBA this season. Jimmy is the team's best player and appointed himself the leader. As a result, he's going to get an inordinate amount of blame.

The players on that roster didn't like Thibs, don't respect Hoiberg and don't want to follow their best player. A big part of that is obviously on those 3 guys, but a significant part also has to do with the personalities on the roster.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 09:24:06 AM »
Whoa ... an NBA star with a colossal ego? That is a shocking revelation.

Also, this comes from Sam Smith, the made his chops with unflattering portrayals of a previous Bulls star.

Which were pretty much accurate however.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »

Which were pretty much accurate however.

Some of them.
Regardless, the criticism of JB is asinine. Even if the stuff Smith is saying is true, who cares?
NBA teammates need to be besties? Hanging out with Mark Wahlberg somehow makes Jimmy a bad dude?
Jimmy and his ego are far down the list of the Bulls' problems, and this reeks of someone - Hoiberg, Pax, the Rose camp - throwing him under the bus to deflect far more deserved criticism on them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 09:35:03 AM »
For every negative story on JFB, there are - what - a hundred good stories?

Reminds me of a couple years ago when a few people wrote stuff trying to make DWade look like a bad person.  Now those articles are just background noise.

The Bulls were good when they had a tough as nails coach (Thibs) and were led by tough as nails players (JFB, Noah). Without the other two Jimmy was on an island surrounded by softies (Rose, Gasol, Hoiberg) posing as leaders. Those guys were way too comfortable with mediocrity. Butler wasn't and still isn't which ruffles feathers. Hope the Bulls do Jimmy the favor of trading him to an organization (players, coach and front office) with a collective fire in its belly.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »
Daaaah Bulls dah Bulls dah Bulls. Sound like a bunch of whiners.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »
Some of them.
Regardless, the criticism of JB is asinine. Even if the stuff Smith is saying is true, who cares?
NBA teammates need to be besties? Hanging out with Mark Wahlberg somehow makes Jimmy a bad dude?
Jimmy and his ego are far down the list of the Bulls' problems, and this reeks of someone - Hoiberg, Pax, the Rose camp - throwing him under the bus to deflect far more deserved criticism on them.

The Bulls were good when they had a tough as nails coach (Thibs) and were led by tough as nails players (JFB, Noah). Without the other two Jimmy was on an island surrounded by softies (Rose, Gasol, Hoiberg) posing as leaders. Those guys were way too comfortable with mediocrity. Butler wasn't and still isn't which ruffles feathers. Hope the Bulls do Jimmy the favor of trading him to an organization (players, coach and front office) with a collective fire in its belly.

I agree with both of these things.  Butler has been a problem for the Bulls, and as I said above, they should trade Butler instead of admitting they screwed up with Hoiberg. 

Knowing the Bulls, they will do neither and have the same troubles next year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 09:45:08 AM »

I agree with both of these things.  Butler has been a problem for the Bulls, and as I said above, they should trade Butler instead of admitting they screwed up with Hoiberg. 

Knowing the Bulls, they will do neither and have the same troubles next year.

And they'll bring back Gasol and Noah  :o

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 09:47:18 AM »
I'm a Bucks fan and I would LOVE to get JFB on the Bucks.  I'm not holding my breath on that deal happening, but Jimmy would be a good leader on the young Bucks.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 10:20:17 AM »
Jimmy has been a cancer on this Bulls team all year. Few of the people who cover the Bulls regularly would deny this.

But, there is also no doubt that Jimmy is a hard worker - maybe the hardest worker on the team. And it may have a lot to do with the situation this year, where the two team leaders - Rose and Noah have become whiny and lazy.

Rose and Jimmy are never going to work on the same team. Rose can't be traded, so the Bulls are stuck. Jimmy is by far the better player, but he and Rose are both alpha dogs doomed to disaster playing together.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »
Sam Smith is the same guy who wrote an entire 300 page book on Jordan, much of it painting him in a very unflattering light.  Is that book, and this stuff about Jimmy probably true?  Sure, but if you can find a way to win, nobody is going to care.  I think if you put the right guys around Jimmy, they will win, so it's not an impossible problem to fix.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 10:38:21 AM »

+1.  I have no idea how the contracts line up but JFB for Middleton and Monroe.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 10:43:11 AM »

1) The Bulls will never add JFB to a division opponent with Giannis and Jabari.
2) Monroe would be the same problem he is in Milwaukee.
3) Middleton is just a very poor man's Jimmy.
4) If they did then also beg them to take MCW.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:48:40 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »
when you are losing you've got to make somebody the scapegoat...hence reaching for reasons, (the b.s. stories they are mean, ego, etc.)   

Doesn't Jimmy have one of the highest values over replacement in the NBA?   The stuff that counts, on the court, makes me think Jimmy isn't the problem.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »

Will never happen.... unless scoop uses the #donedeal when talking about it and write 94 haikus about it.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 10:50:46 AM »
JFB seems to be best friends with Marky Mark.  I could totally see this coming.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »
I know it'll never happen guys.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
One report had the Bulls agreeing to trade Butler to the Celtics but it fell through when Boston wouldn't include Crowder in the deal.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
1) The Bulls will never add JFB to a division opponent with Giannis and Jabari.
2) Monroe would be the same problem he is in Milwaukee.
3) Middleton is just a very poor man's Jimmy.
4) If they did then also beg them to take MCW.

I don't disagree with number 1 being a reality but it is crazy stupid logic that a lot of GMs still have today. Hammond had previously made a comment about not dealing with Cleveland because of being in the same divisions. Divisions in the NBA are completely meaningless. Any eastern conference team will have the same competitive situation since the playoff seeding has changed to limit the significance of central division champs.

feedback