collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette: McAdams matter FAQs  (Read 50708 times)

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
Re: Marquette: McAdams matter FAQs
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
I know MU is most often represented by Foley and Lardner but I'm not 100% certain they are handling this specific matter.  They were my top choice 'go to' guys over a 30 year banking career.  Outstanding albeit expensive at a price point no different than the big houses in Chicago.  BTW, I'm told that the original 'decency' communication was drafted entirely by outside counsel with MU's input.

One factor that could turn out to be very important in the legal battle was Rebecca Bradley defeating Joanne Kloppenburg for the WI Supreme Court seat.  When this all began, Patrick Crooks (before he passed away) held the seat and he often sided with the liberal wing of the court and was getting David Prosser to come along occasionally, as well.  MU could have seriously thought it had a shot with that group.

Now you put Rebecca Bradley there, and the composition is much different.  You have two liberal votes where Ann Walsh Bradley will follow whatever Shirley Abrahamson does, but now there is a solid block of four conservative justices.  And Rebecca Bradley is big on "freedom of speech" issues. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why McAdams is now very confident in his chances.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2016, 04:47:48 AM »
   "It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why McAdams is now very confident in his chances."

shirley, i mean surely you meant surgeon   ;D

don't...don't don't don't don't

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2016, 10:58:51 AM »
I know MU is most often represented by Foley and Lardner but I'm not 100% certain they are handling this specific matter.  They were my top choice 'go to' guys over a 30 year banking career.  Outstanding albeit expensive at a price point no different than the big houses in Chicago.  BTW, I'm told that the original 'decency' communication was drafted entirely by outside counsel with MU's input.

I don't believe Marquette typically uses Foley for litigation matters; I think it is usually Whyte Hirschboek. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2016, 12:26:29 PM »
I don't believe Marquette typically uses Foley for litigation matters; I think it is usually Whyte Hirschboek.

Certainly possible.  Thanks.  Another outstanding firm.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
I was under the impression that Gass Weber & Mullins was handling this dispute for Marquette.  Specifically Ralph Weber.
Ludum habemus.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2016, 01:50:06 PM »
I heard that Hamlin Hamlin & McGill were brought in to handle this case specifically. Howard Hamlin and Chuck McGill are tag teaming it for MU, although Kim Wexler is assisting on doc review.

McAdams is being represented by Davis & Main.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:52:54 PM by Coleman »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2016, 01:57:10 PM »
I was under the impression that Gass Weber & Mullins was handling this dispute for Marquette.  Specifically Ralph Weber.

Does Marquette have mutaman warming up in the bullpen to bring some of that $500 an hour heat?

A little chin music from the mute and John McAdams goes down.

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2016, 06:32:58 PM »
After reading through all the recent comments, I again point out that Lovell's primary job responsibility is to raise money for the school. That is what college Presidents do. All other activities are in furtherance of that objective.

Moving this into litigation costs the school money and alienates guys with the  8-9  figure  resources who can help Marquette in the future.

I would drop the apology condition, and deal with the push back from the faculty in some other way.

A court battle ensures that MU is a loser either monetarily or in the court of public opinion. This is not the case to take that stand. We have too good of an institution to amortize our goodwill on this stuff.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2016, 10:59:58 PM »

Ralph's a great guy.  Truly respect him...his father was one of my favorite professors at Marquette.  That being said, I will not be sad to see MU lose this.

I remember when Ralph was with Kravit, Gass and Weber....a long time ago.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »
After reading through all the recent comments, I again point out that Lovell's primary job responsibility is to raise money for the school. That is what college Presidents do. All other activities are in furtherance of that objective.

Moving this into litigation costs the school money and alienates guys with the  8-9  figure  resources who can help Marquette in the future.

I would drop the apology condition, and deal with the push back from the faculty in some other way.

A court battle ensures that MU is a loser either monetarily or in the court of public opinion. This is not the case to take that stand. We have too good of an institution to amortize our goodwill on this stuff.

Was talking with a Prof at MU yesterday and asked him what he thought of Lovell (he knows him a bit personally...both are runners).  He said he came across as very organized, structured and deliberate, which is why his apology demand and twitter rant came as such a surprise to many of the faculty.  They all realized that it would just escalate the situation, which is what happened.  The suspension was viewed as a fair compromise and the apology was a "poison pill" and now everyone is just waiting for the legal proceedings to begin.

An interesting thing he said is that there is now a lot of conversation on campus among Profs about the issues of freedom of speech and tenure and what can/cannot be said and in what venue (ex.blog). 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2016, 10:08:27 AM »
his apology demand and twitter rant came as such a surprise to many of the faculty.

An interesting thing he said is that there is now a lot of conversation on campus among Profs about the issues of freedom of speech and tenure and what can/cannot be said and in what venue (ex.blog).

Go figure. You throw gasoline on embers and you get...a fire.

As I have said, the GE company will not take adverse action against an employee for speaking in public unless it violates trade secrets, etc...

I am not saying Marquette should not have taken action. I am saying be smart about it.

Gifted leadership knows what the levers of power are and, more to the point, knows how to wield them effectively.   

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2016, 11:03:15 AM »
  "An interesting thing he said is that there is now a lot of conversation on campus among Profs about the issues of freedom of speech and tenure and what can/cannot be said and in what venue (ex.blog)."

this company's been deluged with orders from MU faculty

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/counter+surveillance/best+counter+surveillance+equipment.do

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2016, 11:10:04 AM »

I am sure it is really confusing.

Is this issue about freedom of speech or academic freedom?

No, this issue is about the professor’s conduct toward a graduate student. Dr. McAdams has been blogging for more than a decade, publishing approximately 3,000 posts, and the university administration has never disciplined him. He has the right to talk about controversial topics on his blog, and to disagree with and debate Marquette-related positions freely. Where Dr. McAdams crossed the line is when he launched a personal attack against a student, subjecting her to threats and hateful messages. Dr. McAdams continues to use the student’s name on his blog, even recently identifying where she is currently studying, leading to more hostile and threatening messages.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
This is from the guy heading up McAdams' legal team, so I'm well aware of the slant. But if this is true, Lovell better issue another call for decency and punish Dr. Snow.

"The student complained to Dr. Susanne Foster in the College of Arts & Sciences, and was sent to the Philosophy Department where he spoke with then-chair Dr. Nancy Snow and Dr. Sebastian Luft. Neither Dr. Snow nor Dr. Luft took any action on behalf of the student. In fact, Dr. Snow referred to him as an “insolent little twerp” in a communication with the College of Arts & Sciences."

http://www.rightwisconsin.com/opinion/perspectives/marquettes-double-standard-for-the-treatment-of-students

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »
But if this is true, Lovell better issue another call for decency and punish Dr. Snow.

If this is true, and that is a big if, Mike Lovell ought to look for a teaching job somewhere.

Let's see how this plays out but McAdams' legal team raises some troubling questions.

I can't fathom how stunningly bad Marquette projects itself in the public eye.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2016, 06:26:24 AM »
"In fact, Dr. Snow referred to him as an “insolent little twerp” in a communication with the College of Arts & Sciences."

sure sounds like they circled the wagons against the student-student, distinguishing him from the student-teacher-student.  abbate represented one of them in this instance, but not on paper.  huh?  see, MU conveniently uses the "student" title when referring to mcadams interaction with abbate, but treat her as one of their own(teacher-student) when addressing the situation/interaction with, let's just say, the "real student"

dr. snow's reference to the "real student" as an "insolent little twerp" is a personal reaction/interpretation interjected into the mix.  it will be very interesting how dr. lovell addresses this as part of the big picture as it seems  like he has got "women in stereo" going on.  i wonder who wears the pants or panties at home

this should have been nipped in the bud.  now, any action on dr. snow's opinion of the student would and should ring hollow and properly be viewed as an arse covering.  you know, one of those-as you all know this has been an emotional time for us at MU and sometimes words....speeches followed by a faux apology by dr. snow and life's good again-ayn'al?   

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »
These "Inside Baseball" insights cast Marquette in an exceedingly terrible light. The actions and behaviors of Nancy Snow and James South are unconscionable. To think they are leaders in an enterprise committed to free and open dialogue is disturbing.

I will watch closely to see how the University handles this situation but my expectations are low.

McAdams is suing and, frankly, based on these details, I hope the man hammers all of those responsible for creating a toxic atmosphere within a University I love more than any other.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
This is from the guy heading up McAdams' legal team, so I'm well aware of the slant. But if this is true, Lovell better issue another call for decency and punish Dr. Snow.

"The student complained to Dr. Susanne Foster in the College of Arts & Sciences, and was sent to the Philosophy Department where he spoke with then-chair Dr. Nancy Snow and Dr. Sebastian Luft. Neither Dr. Snow nor Dr. Luft took any action on behalf of the student. In fact, Dr. Snow referred to him as an “insolent little twerp” in a communication with the College of Arts & Sciences."

http://www.rightwisconsin.com/opinion/perspectives/marquettes-double-standard-for-the-treatment-of-students

LOL

The hypocrisy continues....he's a student after all....but in this case will MU come to his aid?   Get on that twitter Mike!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2016, 12:45:59 PM »

Nancy Snow is no longer at Marquette so he can't punish her.  She moved to the University of Oklahoma last year.

EDIT:  South should lose his associate dean position.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:48:01 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »

Nancy Snow is no longer at Marquette so he can't punish her.  She moved to the University of Oklahoma last year.

Correct, but doesn't take away the hypocrisy in how MU chose to handle this student's concerns vs Student Teacher concerns.

Dr. South, recording the conversation without consent....remember the dust up here when the real student did that? 

I can't wait for the trial.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2016, 12:49:02 PM »
Correct, but doesn't take away the hypocrisy in how MU chose to handle this student's concerns vs Student Teacher concerns.

Dr. South, recording the conversation without consent....remember the dust up here when the real student did that? 

Right I had just edited my comment that South should lose his assistant dean position and should apologize to the student.

But none of this excuses anything with regard to McAdams.  Hope Lovell stays the course so keefe can continue his self-hatred of the "University loves more than any other."  (Editorial comment:  LOL)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »
Get on that twitter Mike!!

Thank you. Now chick can focus her venom on you!

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »

Me too.

Even if Marquette loses, they stood for what's right.  I applaud that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:55:43 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »

Right I had just edited my comment that South should lose his assistant dean position and should apologize to the student.

But none of this excuses anything with regard to McAdams.  Hope Lovell stays the course so keefe can continue his self-hatred of the "University loves more than any other."  (Editorial comment:  LOL)

You confuse "hatred" with extreme disappointment. There is a profound difference.

And as The Bail Bondsman has said, I am waiting for Mike to grab a keyboard and provide the world with a pithy 140 character bon mot which puts McAdams in his place.

The real issue here isn't John McAdams. It is how the leadership of Marquette University not just mismanaged this matter but the excruciatingly awful decisions made by administrators that caused it to spiral out of control in the first place.

As I said, you are satisfied with Mike Lovell's stewardship in this matter and I am not.

Some people prefer Dom Perignon while others crave the bite of a well crafted Old Milwaukee.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2016, 01:12:56 PM »
I know.  If Marquette could only be known as "the Zipcar of higher education."  All would be good.