'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Henry Ellenson signs with Roc Nation Sports  (Read 23621 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: [Matt Velazquez] Henry Ellenson signs with Roc Nation Sports
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
Still think the kid should have stayed at Marquette.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »
Agree on the swag (needs a better picture), but you're 100% wrong on Jay-Z.  He is a world class businessman!

Hmmm.....some good, some not so good.  Tidal comes to mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »
Henry Ellenson signs with Roc Nation Sports

Former Marquette standout Henry Ellenson, who last Tuesday announced his decision to leave for the NBA draft after one year with the Golden Eagles, has signed with an agency.

Source: Henry Ellenson signs with Roc Nation Sports
So much for the theory that Henry was surrounding himself with quality people.....

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
So much for the theory that Henry was surrounding himself with quality people.....

???  What's wrong with ROC Sports?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 09:02:49 PM »

???  What's wrong with ROC Sports?

Here is a small example of the owners character:

Criminal charges
On December 1, 1999, Jay Z, who had come to believe that record executive Lance "Un" Rivera was behind the bootlegging of Vol. 3..., allegedly stabbed Rivera at the release party for Q-Tip's album Amplified at the Kit Kat Klub, a now-defunct night club in Times Square, New York City. Jay Z's associates at the party were accused of causing a commotion within the club, which Jay Z allegedly used as cover when he supposedly stabbed Rivera in the stomach with a five-inch (127 mm) blade.[165] He surrendered to police the following evening and was placed under arrest, although he was soon released on $50,000 bail.[166][167] When he was indicted in Manhattan Criminal Court in late January 2000, he pleaded not guilty; he and his lawyers contended that they had witnesses and videotapes proving he had been nowhere near Rivera during the incident. Nevertheless, he later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and accepted a three-year probation sentence.[168]

Jay Z later addressed the case in his 2010 book Decoded:

One night I went to Q-Tip's solo album release party and at some point in the night, I ran into the guy everyone's been telling me is behind the bootleg. So I approached him. When I told him what I suspected, to my surprise, he got real loud with me right there in the middle of the club. It was strange. We separated and I went over to the bar. I was sitting there like, "No the unnatural carnal knowledge this nigga did not....." I was talking to people, but I was really talking to myself out loud, just in a state of shock. Before I even realized what I was doing, I headed back over to him, but this time I was blacking out with anger. The next thing I knew, all hell had broken loose in the club. That night the guy went straight to the police and I was indicted...

There was no reason to put my life on the line, and the lives of everyone who depends on me, because of a momentary loss of control..... I vowed to never allow myself to be in a situation like that again.[169]

---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 09:07:36 PM »
Oh that. 

Well you've been bashing Henry since he started at MU, so now you have a reason to carry that nonsense into the pros.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »
Oh that. 

Well you've been bashing Henry since he started at MU, so now you have a reason to carry that nonsense into the pros.

Here is another one. Henry is being represented by a first class thug.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/09/19/jay-zs-past-includes-being-crack-dealer-stabbing-record-producer/
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 09:50:09 PM »
Lol. Scoop is awesome man.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2016, 10:37:46 PM »
Hmmm.....some good, some not so good.  Tidal comes to mind.

I'm not very familiar with Tidal, but if the increase of 2.5M subscribers (total 3M) reported a couple weeks ago is correct, I wouldn't call it "not so good".  At a minimum of $10/month per subscriber, that $3M/month, $36M/year revenue on a $50M investment (again, minimum) isn't too shabby...especially if the growth continues.

Certainly there's been a lot of bad media in the past year, but not a flop yet.   You could have called the first 5 years of SpaceX a flop too.

And even if Tidal flops - it's a small part of Jay-Z's portfolio.

But I can understand why you're unhappy, ROC is not a "Traditional" sports management company.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:48:07 PM by rocky_warrior »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2016, 11:51:52 PM »

Your two examples are from when Henry was 1yr old and 1982. Are you saying people don't change? Who were you 17yrs ago? How about who were you in 1982...
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 10:56:51 AM »
Your two examples are from when Henry was 1yr old and 1982. Are you saying people don't change? Who were you 17yrs ago? How about who were you in 1982...

People who commit crimes of that stature do not change. You have never been in the business world. These are very low grade people and they don't improve. I feel very bad for Henry. No reason to associate yourself with people like this.
            ---Al McGuire

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »
People who commit crimes of that stature do not change. You have never been in the business world. These are very low grade people and they don't improve. I feel very bad for Henry. No reason to associate yourself with people like this.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »
Does the ignore button not exist anymore? I really need to use it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 11:11:17 AM »
Being described as a Point Forward is the biggest crime of this whole thing.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2016, 11:26:07 AM »

How young do you think I am that I've never been in the business world? Maybe in return I play the "you've never been an urban youth" card.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2016, 11:30:29 AM »
How young do you think I am that I've never been in the business world? Maybe in return I play the "you've never been an urban youth" card.
I do lots of business with Urban Youth.  This will play out down the road when Henry finds out he has no money. It is a very classic scenario.   
            ---Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »

While I agree with the point being made here, let's not discount the fact that in the world of pro-sports representation, you'd be hard pressed to find an agency that isn't being run by like-minded individuals.

In other words, you don't need a rap sheet to act like a shady criminal.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2016, 11:39:55 AM »
I do lots of business with Urban Youth.  This will play out down the road when Henry finds out he has no money. It is a very classic scenario.

Does that equate to being an urban youth? Roc Nation has been very good to Luis Arias and I expect it'll do the same for Henry. Many Rap stars are business geniuses when it comes to the entertainment industry Dr Dre, Eminem, Kanye to name a few. They're very connected for endorsement deals and to athletes. I'd say your just being a grumpy person because of Jay z's hip hop persona. The guys married, has a kid, runs more business side of things than music now. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
While I agree with the point being made here, let's not discount the fact that in the world of pro-sports representation, you'd be hard pressed to find an agency that isn't being run by like-minded individuals.

All Henry needs is to hire a decent grade corporate attorney from a top tier firm In Minneapolis or Milwaukee and get a decent accounting firm to handle his taxes. Don't worry about a financial adviser, just save his money and live modestly and use common sense and listen to the parents.  He has a clean cut All American image and talent,  and all the endorsement he could ever want will come his way.
            ---Al McGuire

brandx

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »
All Henry needs is to hire a decent grade corporate attorney from a top tier firm In Minneapolis or Milwaukee and get a decent accounting firm to handle his taxes. Don't worry about a financial adviser, just save his money and live modestly and use common sense and listen to the parents.  He has a clean cut All American image and talent,  and all the endorsement he could ever want will come his way.

C l u e l e s s

brandx

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
This is a dumb question, but I don't know the answer so that's why I'm asking...

What value does an agent provide for a shoe-in NBA lottery pick? Aren't contracts dictated pretty strictly by draft order?

Obviously they are important after the initial contract when there is much more negotiation, free agency, etc. But what do they do for someone like Henry? Isn't the salary and length of contract already known the minute he is drafted? What is the agent bringing to the table that justifies the cost?

1. Money
2. Money
3. Money
4. Money

Steph Curry's shoe business with UA may possibly be worth up to $14 BILLION to the company. His agent better have known this and how to make a deal before Steph signed any papers.

Salary is only a minority percentage of many player's income - especially if they are represented well.

They are not represented by one agent - rather it is a stable of experts in many fields including sports, product representation, tax accounting, investment and more.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »

This will play out down the road when Henry finds out he has no money. It is a very classic scenario.

Yep, that's Jay-Z's master strategy, bankrupt his own clients in order to grow his representation business.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2016, 12:07:58 PM »

This sums up my thoughts on the issue.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »
Yep, that's Jay-Z's master strategy, bankrupt his own clients in order to grow his representation business.
That is not how guys like that look at things. Everything is how much can they steal and get away with.

This stuff plays out over a long period of time.

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2012/10/22/broke-5-financial-horror-stories-of-professional-a?page=2&slreturn=1460481029
            ---Al McGuire

feedback