Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2016-17 Roster Released  (Read 25138 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2016-17 Roster Released
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2016, 11:43:27 PM »
How undersized is GSW. 

7'0"  Bogut
6'8"  Barnes
6'7"  Green
6'7"  Thompson
6'3"  Curry

For reference; Cleveland

6'10" Love
6'9" Tristan Thompson
6'8" James
6'6" JR Smith
6'3" Kyrie Irving

The GSW power forward (Green) is small height wise for the position, but plays far far bigger than his size.  Overall though GSW is pretty average size in the NBA (as long as Bogut is on the floor).

Aren't you skewing that a bit?

The guys that play the most...Bogut starts, but he gets the fewest minutes of a starter to the point that he is 7th in overall minutes on the team

Curry  6'3  G
Thompson  6'7  G
Barnes  6'8  F
Iguodola  6'6  F
Green  6'7  F

Livingston is 6'7  G  6th in minutes

Barborosa  6'3"  G  8th in minutes

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2016, 06:12:58 AM »
The 3-pointer is an equalizer for weaker teams. It can enable you to win games where you're the lesser team.

Still, many good teams do not rely heavily on the trey. (Think of 1-seeds UNC and Virginia as examples this past March.)

On AVERAGE, the 3-point shot is far more effective than the 2-point shot in terms of eFG%. That's true every year in college bball.

However, the 3-point shot is far more volatile. If you DEPEND too heavily on it, you will lose games you shouldn't.. and win some you shouldn't.

It's stylistic.

I don't believe it's defining of the game overall.

Many truly great team would prefer not to rely heavily on 3-pointers. Too much volatility.

you are correct jay bee-traditionally speaking.  but as we are seeing more and more of a faster, quicker game, the 3 pointer becomes the weapon that the 7 foot "aircraft carrier" did starting back in al's day.  note the evolution toward the bigs and playing outside-dirk n. et.al.  if the kids start realizing the 3 point shot is money, they will become more proficient-note klay and steph.  now, bring in the grinnell/westhead system and make it work, it will be a win-win.  the fans will love it and the players will knock down grandma to play it.  also note that the grinnel/westhead system uses more players because of the fast pace, it's like changing hockey lines without losing a beat.  that means you need at least 10-12 GOOD fast shooters.  if a kid is good and knows he's going to get minutes, where's he gonna go?  in the article i posted re:lsu-loyola marymount overtime  140's game, one of the lsu guards purposely threw the ball out of bounds so he could catch his breath a little.

if wojo is thinking about bringing in some aspect of this, hold on to your ya-ya's gentlemen/women

obviously, in order for this to work, the team HAS to shoot 40% or better from the 3 point line.  otherwise, yes, it will be a real stink bomb.  how many times have you seen an upset where the underdog shot lights out from the 3?  what did you hear?  well if so and so hadn't been unconscious from the 3....well you might start seeing more and more of that

next, i'm sure we will hear more about moving the 3 point line out further-well, start practicing.  note where klay and steph are unloading from even now?  they can't move it back to the half court mark, can they?  i don't think they want to ruin want the fans want.  it used to be thunder dunks.  today-the 3 point bomb and lots of scoring
don't...don't don't don't don't

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2016, 07:52:27 AM »
I guess it depends on what your goal is. If you are satisfied with Sweet 16's and the occasional elite 8, you can be successful playing small ball. However, if your goal is to be a final four team you need a high level bigman.
I don't think Wojo set out to build a small team.  But he does understand that you MUST have good guard play and you MUST be able to shoot outside shots.  So he was going to hedge his bets in that area and have extra players there so that IF someone didn't work out or got hurt there would be another player who could deliver the same skill set.  Then when he missed on Young and others "well at least it is still possible to be competitive".  And right now the goal is to get back in the tourney consistently.  Once we've re-established that for a few years then we can plan to build a team that can win the BE and make noise in the tourney.
I've seen what happens when a team has skilled bigs but the guards aren't up to the high major level.  I'm ready to go with it the other way around and see what happens

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2016, 10:02:24 AM »
you are correct jay bee-traditionally speaking.  but as we are seeing more and more of a faster, quicker game, the 3 pointer becomes the weapon that the 7 foot "aircraft carrier" did starting back in al's day. 

obviously, in order for this to work, the team HAS to shoot 40% or better from the 3 point line.  otherwise, yes, it will be a real stink bomb.

Well sure... back in Al's day the 3-pointer wasn't a weapon because it didn't exist.

There were 10 teams (including 15-17 Wofford) who shot 40% or better on their 3FGA's last season. Less than 3% of DI schools. And that was the first time there were double-digit 40% teams since 2009-10, but it's generally been in that 6 to 9 team range for several years.

Can it move up a bit if the line stays at 20'9"? Unlike free throws, I think so.. but to implement a strategy where you MUST shoot 3-pointers better than 97% of college bball? Tough...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
Perhaps there is a big downside to relying on three point shots that nobody is considering. That is that a three point shooting team may not draw a lot of fouls. That is important for two reasons. The obvious one is that you shoot less free throws. However, maybe the more important factor is that you are not putting the opposing team in foul trouble.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »
Perhaps there is a big downside to relying on three point shots that nobody is considering. That is that a three point shooting team may not draw a lot of fouls. That is important for two reasons. The obvious one is that you shoot less free throws. However, maybe the more important factor is that you are not putting the opposing team in foul trouble.

free throws no matta

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
Aren't you skewing that a bit?

The guys that play the most...Bogut starts, but he gets the fewest minutes of a starter to the point that he is 7th in overall minutes on the team

Curry  6'3  G
Thompson  6'7  G
Barnes  6'8  F
Iguodola  6'6  F
Green  6'7  F

Livingston is 6'7  G  6th in minutes

Barborosa  6'3"  G  8th in minutes

No, I'm not.  They have the size and can use it if necessary.  The thing is, when they take Bogut out and put Iguodola in, the other team can either try to exploit the mismatch (with their big) or concede defeat and match the small ball. 

If Iguodola is a better overall player and GSW can compensate for the lack of size, by rotating on defense; they win.  If not, they put Bogut back in and they win.

They have plenty of size. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2016, 05:58:26 PM »
free throws no matta
However, fouls on the other teams players do.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »

the 3 is contested more and more, especially if you are making them.  they teach the players to exaggerate any contact, like floppin after a 3.  fouls will be called, but ya gotta be hitting otherwise they will sag(the defense, that is :D)
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »
No, I'm not.  They have the size and can use it if necessary.  The thing is, when they take Bogut out and put Iguodola in, the other team can either try to exploit the mismatch (with their big) or concede defeat and match the small ball. 

If Iguodola is a better overall player and GSW can compensate for the lack of size, by rotating on defense; they win.  If not, they put Bogut back in and they win.

They have plenty of size.

Who is playing the minutes?  What are the sizes of those playing the minutes?  Just because you have size on a roster, if they are playing less minutes says a lot.

An interesting calculation metric would be size per minutes played. What is the average size per avg minute played by GSW vs other teams?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2016, 07:33:53 PM »
Who is playing the minutes?  What are the sizes of those playing the minutes?  Just because you have size on a roster, if they are playing less minutes says a lot.

An interesting calculation metric would be size per minutes played. What is the average size per avg minute played by GSW vs other teams?

You are being ignorant and arguing for the sake of arguing.  At Center:

Bogut, Speights, and Ezeli played 48 minutes a game combined during the season.  They are:

7'0" 260 lbs; 6'10" 255 lbs; 6'11" 265 lbs

And it is the GSW bigs that are dominating the Cavaliers.

Plenty of size.  With this I'm done. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2016, 07:40:34 PM »

Bogut, Speights, and Ezeli played 48 minutes a game combined during the season.  They are:

But what denominators are you using?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2016, 08:16:19 PM »

Nope. If you believe "we will try to draw fouls on their good players" is a great strategy, you're simply wrong.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »
Nope. If you believe "we will try to draw fouls on their good players" is a great strategy, you're simply wrong.
Both Wojo and Buzz believed it was important to take the ball inside and get to the line. They both believe a key metric is to make more free throws than the other team shoots. Under Wojo Wilson set the record for free throws made in a season by a freshmen. One year later Wilson is now third in free throws made by a freshmen as both Henry and Haanif made more free throws than Wilson did before. We have all seen MU effected by Fischer's foul problems. The same problem limited Carter's playing time last year. Trying to draw fouls in general is not the same as trying to draw fouls on good players. However, if a player like Fischer picks up three dumb fouls the other team is going to take the ball to him. Maybe not so much to draw fouls as it is that he cannot play as tough of defense as when he is not in foul trouble.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2016, 08:57:15 AM »
Both Wojo and Buzz believed it was important to take the ball inside and get to the line. They both believe a key metric is to make more free throws than the other team shoots. Under Wojo Wilson set the record for free throws made in a season by a freshmen. One year later Wilson is now third in free throws made by a freshmen as both Henry and Haanif made more free throws than Wilson did before.

Wow! The team must have done incredibly well then!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2016, 09:35:14 AM »

Wow! The team must have done incredibly well then!

I did expect someone to point that out. However, it does reflect two things. How, Wojo wants to play the game and the fact Wojo is recruiting players that can actually make free throws. Rowsey is a 90% free throw shooter and I believe Reinhardt is also a very good free throw shooter. I do not think we should expect Wojo to greatly change his m.o. and have a team that relies on chucking up threes. It will be interesting to see what he does with this team.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2016, 09:52:54 AM »
I did expect someone to point that out. However, it does reflect two things. How, Wojo wants to play the game and the fact Wojo is recruiting players that can actually make free throws. Rowsey is a 90% free throw shooter and I believe Reinhardt is also a very good free throw shooter. I do not think we should expect Wojo to greatly change his m.o. and have a team that relies on chucking up threes. It will be interesting to see what he does with this team.

83.5% for his collegiate career.

However, he has four more made FTs in college than Henry Ellenson does.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »
Playing with 4 guards doesn't mean you are shooting 3s all the time.  The 3 point threat spreads the floor opening up driving lanes.  If your guards are players like Haanif, DW, JJJ etc (which is the type of players Wojo is bringing in) and not like Jake Thomas the spread floor with one less big 4 on the base line is ideal for driving and hence drawing fouls.  What you're giving up is the inside high, low passing and low post game which of course also creates foul opportunities But I'd venture that if you have guards that can drive and finish you'll draw your share of fouls.  These are the type of teams Buzz relied on until he got Gardner and we did just fine.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2016, 11:01:16 AM »

I think Wojo is recruiting players that shoot better in general.  I don't think he is specifically targeting good free throw shooters.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2016, 01:07:29 PM »

I think Wojo is recruiting players that shoot better in general.  I don't think he is specifically targeting good free throw shooters.
Gone are the days where we are sitting in the stands worried that the other team is going to foul a player that cannot make more than 50% of his free throws.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »

Wat? You really think Wojo is focused on how well guys shoot free throws?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2016, 05:12:57 PM »
Wat? You really think Wojo is focused on how well guys shoot free throws?
I do not know, but he seems to be more focus on skills vs. Buzz being more focus on athleticism.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »
Gone are the days where we are sitting in the stands worried that the other team is going to foul a player 35 mpg point guard that cannot make more than 50% of his free throws.
FIFY
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2016, 05:31:39 PM »

You're skewing your numbers as well, however. All three missed a moderately significant number of games.

Bogut: 1,449 minutes in 70 games
Speights: 835 minutes in 72 games
Ezeli: 768 minutes in 46 games

So over the course of the season, they averaged 37.2 minutes per game, not 48. They have bigs and play them, but there are significant stretches of games where they have no true big men out there. In the playoffs it's even less time.

Bogut: 336 minutes in 19 games
Speights: 175 minutes in 19 games
Ezeli: 164 minutes in 18 games

Not a huge difference, but averaging 35.5 minutes per game in 19 games, so since the playoffs started Golden State has relied even less on their bigs. You are correct in saying they do play big men, but your assertion that they have a big on the floor 48 minutes per game is a significantly inaccurate overstatement.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.