Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 4/6  (Read 108715 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/6
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2016, 10:50:43 AM »
Kalif Young will take visits to Providence 4/15, Alabama 4/19 and Marquette 4/28.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »
Kalif Young will take visits to Providence 4/15, Alabama 4/19 and Marquette 4/28.

I like visits.  Especially last visits.  Seriously,  has Wojo lost a HS recruit he actually got to campus?

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2016, 11:43:20 AM »
I like visits.  Especially last visits.  Seriously,  has Wojo lost a HS recruit he actually got to campus?

Glad it is end of April, maybe the weather will be above 40 by then.   Basketball at Alabama is second fiddle compared to Providence and MU.  This might depend on
if Bentl stays or goes.  At MU the 4 spot is open, that is for sure.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Glad it is end of April, maybe the weather will be above 40 by then.   Basketball at Alabama is second fiddle compared to Providence and MU.  This might depend on
if Bentl stays or goes.  At MU the 4 spot is open, that is for sure.

Bama will be a player here. Their leading returning rebounder is 6'5 and averaged a little over 5 rebs per game. Plenty of room for a PF to play right away which sounds like a big priority to Kalif.

Do like our chances, though, so long as he does make it to campus.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »

Sic 'em Wojo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2016, 12:19:46 PM »

I think he is our major target, and with Nova's NC he is nudged to the BEAST and we did beat PC twice.  Also with Henry gone that spot will look inviting.  Will start changing my name around 4/25.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
If no one else transfers, Kalif Young is absolutely who I want.

If someone does transfer, I want a grad transfer and a 2017 transfer. Say Chris Jenkins (grad transfer from Detroit) and Dylan Oste...ski. I think if we get a grad transfer PF, than Mr. Young will no longer be interested in our alma mater.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »
Miami, Wake Forest, Marquette, Alabama, Auburn, UNLV, Texas, Clemson, and ECU among those that have reached out Duquesne transfer LG Gill

LG Gill is 6'8 grad transfer

I think this is a very good idea. Can't teach 40 inch vertical leap. He will get the hard rebounds :)

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/lg_gill_850496.html
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2016, 12:35:51 PM »

If someone does transfer, I want a grad transfer and a 2017 transfer. Say Chris Jenkins (grad transfer from Detroit) and Dylan Oste...ski. I think if we get a grad transfer PF, than Mr. Young will no longer be interested in our alma mater.

Sound's like a good Plan.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2016, 12:39:48 PM »

If we go after a grad transfer and a 2017 eligible transfer in favor of Kalif Young will that put to rest the myth that we are in it for the long run rather than trying to win today?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2016, 12:41:42 PM »
Time to break out the hookers...I mean ice cream truck.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
If we go after a grad transfer and a 2017 eligible transfer in favor of Kalif Young will that put to rest the myth that we are in it for the long run rather than trying to win today?

I think we're trying to address both, based on how the chips fall.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »

Agree with cannon. If a 2 year eligibility shows up that's long run enough assuming we fill the hole next year too.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »
The videos I've watched of him have impressed me with his athletic ability and how smooth he runs the floor. Also of note is that he played behind thon maker and against some other good bigs on a fairly regular basis.

Sounds to me like the coaching staff may be visiting him this weekend or during this past week if I'm putting things together correctly.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »

No one is saying that. Wojo is absolutely trying to win today but isn't doing at the expense of the long run. If we had two schollies, a grad transfer and a 2017 transfer would make perfect sense. It addresses our immediate need for a PF and our greater future need for a big of any type in 17-18. Its winning today and being in it for the long run.

You would have a better argument if we only had 1 schollie and we went after a grad transfer over a Kalif Young or a 2017 transfer.
TAMU

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »

I am with you on this desire. I think he has a good chance to be an impact player here and has the coachability to reach that level. Given Vandy turnover, I really think that Marquette is in the driver's seat--especially given Kalif's desire to work under someone with a proven record of getting bigs to the league (Henry, Plumlee's, etc).
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »
Lets go Wojo, get Young. Make Marquette basketball great again. Just win baby.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »
Young is just kind of...meh. Now he may develop obviously, but the problem is, you want as many studs as you can possibly get(talent wins over the long haul), and he is NOT a stud...MU NEEDS(it's an absolute must) to get in the tournament next year, zero question about it...go get TWO studs that can contribute major minutes right now( one 4 and one wherever), and roll...that's how you do it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »
Young is just kind of...meh. Now he may develop obviously, but the problem is, you want as many studs as you can possibly get(talent wins over the long haul), and he is NOT a stud...MU NEEDS(it's an absolute must) to get in the tournament next year, zero question about it...go get TWO studs that can contribute major minutes right now( one 4 and one wherever), and roll...that's how you do it.

Gosh, I didn't realize it was that easy. Just go out and recruit two stars. Why didn't Wojo think of this???

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2016, 02:07:17 PM »

So the two studs are gonna split the last scholarship? Or is Wojo adopting one of them? Why are we proceeding under the assumption someone else is leaving?

I also laugh at how some people think recruiting is easy. Can't just go get studs in a minute, especially this late in the game. With transfers, you've got a very small window of time to develop a relationship, get them on campus, and seal the deal. Wojo has been decent in this regard with Carlino and Rowsey (missed on Lee and others).

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2016, 02:09:43 PM »
Gosh, I didn't realize it was that easy. Just go out and recruit two stars. Why didn't Wojo think of this???

Don't worry, by going after Mr. Young, Wojo is going for THREE stars :)

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »
I know, I know, rankings don't mean everything, but 247 has Kalif Young as the #318 player in the country. Not exactly someone we need to get. Sometimes I think we just want players because our coach is in on them and to boost the short-term collective ego of MU nation.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »
I know, I know, rankings don't mean everything, but 247 has Kalif Young as the #318 player in the country. Not exactly someone we need to get. Sometimes I think we just want players because our coach is in on them and to boost the short-term collective ego of MU nation.

What was Davantes ranking? Furthermore, what was Steve Taylor's ranking. Davante was ranked lower than Young while Teve was a top 100. Let's dial it back on the rankings being end all be all.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2016, 02:19:14 PM »
What was Davantes ranking? Furthermore, what was Steve Taylor's ranking. Davante was ranked lower than Young while Teve was a top 100. Let's dial it back on the rankings being end all be all.

He literally qualified his statement saying exactly what you just said.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
Time to break out the hookers...I mean ice cream truck.
I think we're trying to address both, based on how the chips fall.

at 1st I thought you were commenting on Chitown's post