[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Oso (and Stevie) by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:42:16 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 01:56:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ramifications from Villanova win  (Read 13157 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Ramifications from Villanova win
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 09:39:36 AM »
I'm not going to fall completely into the "it's largely irrelevant" camp.  The Big East is a basketball brand.  That brand was greatly diminished with the split, but is now regaining its respect.  That does help with recruiting and the image of the conference. 

That being said, going five years without another Final Four school will render what Nova did somewhat useless.

I agree with this.

Nova winning is meaningful. Narratives matter. One of the major narratives parroted by ESPN and other Power5 conferences prior to the championship was that the Big East was a mid-major, or at least widely-diminished from its major status and somewhere between Power5 and mid-major.

Did Nova completely change the narrative forever? No. One win is not capable of that. What Nova did is question this existing narrative and perhaps give credence to the competing narrative that the Big East is a bigger player than some have thought. It will take continued success, by more teams than just Nova, to completely eliminate the negative narrative. The win helps recruiting and exposure for all teams in the conference. Does it instantly propel the conference to P5 status? No. but it helps.

Will this change everything forever for every team in the conference? Of course not. Are some here perhaps overestimating the impact of this one win? Probably. But this win is far from irrelevant. It matters, and matters greatly.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:41:51 AM by Coleman »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
It will take continued success, by more teams than just Nova, to completely eliminate the negative narrative. The win helps recruiting and exposure for all teams in the conference.

And Georgetown doesn't have to be -- but should be a part in that.  I think they should listen to this guy more...  https://firejohnthompsoniii.wordpress.com/

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »
And Georgetown doesn't have to be -- but should be a part in that.  I think they should listen to this guy more...  https://firejohnthompsoniii.wordpress.com/

Yep.  He's GTown's Joey Meyer.

Dad can only help so much from the stands.
Have some patience, FFS.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 11:30:16 AM »
I'm happy Nova won and all, but I think some here are way overthinking things here. Do you know what FS1 was showing after the conclusion of TBS broadcast on Monday night? TMZ Sports.

I don't think the casual college basketball fan is turning FS1 on next year and seeing Nova on thinking "the champs are on, I gotta watch this!" Didn't see that happen after UConn won it all. People next year are going to be glued to Josh Jackson, Tatum/Giles/Duke. Sustained success will help, building guys like Brunson into 4 year stars helps. As great as Nova is/was, having no first round NBA players doesn't help market things for the average fan going forward.

Happy for Nova, but MU is going to have to find NCAA success on its own.

Agree 100%   FS1 programing has a long way to go in highlighting the BEAST

Nova's NC will only be a small nudge in recruiting, we have to sell MU.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
Villanova winning the title means that a Big East team can, which should help recruiting and perception some.  But the best thing for the conference's image would be a team other than Villanova making the Final Four in the very near future.  I mean, if Gonzaga won the National Championship you wouldn't think the WCC was a major conference, would you?  Villanova has dominated the new Big East (first place and 16-2 all three seasons) and there is reason to think of them as a big fish in a small pond. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2016, 12:36:19 PM »
You mean the Big East is still relevant? Maybe Buzz will come back!

That train has left the station and is thousands of miles away.

The bigger question is who would want that Hillbilly back? He may be able to coach, but when it comes to basketball, we don't turn the other cheek. And we don't forget either.

Leave that Hillbilly in Hokie hell.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »
Villanova winning the title means that a Big East team can, which should help recruiting and perception some.  But the best thing for the conference's image would be a team other than Villanova making the Final Four in the very near future.  I mean, if Gonzaga won the National Championship you wouldn't think the WCC was a major conference, would you?  Villanova has dominated the new Big East (first place and 16-2 all three seasons) and there is reason to think of them as a big fish in a small pond.

I agree with you that the Big East needs more consistent deep runs by other teams in the NCAA tournament, but the WCC did not have 5 teams in the tournament. I don't think it is analogous at all.

The more apt comparison is probably UConn and the AAC. There are some other teams in that conference with success and tradition (Memphis, Cincy, Temple, SMU, etc.) I do think the Big East is a much better conference than the AAC though, top to bottom.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2016, 01:02:20 PM »
I think it does help conference recruiting, but it should help Villanova recruiting more. 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »
Yep.  He's GTown's Joey Meyer.

Dad can only help so much from the stands.

I would think a Hall of Fame coach like John Thompson who was so successful for so long would have other former assistants that Georgetown could consider. But I honestly don't know who that might include.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2016, 07:25:35 PM »
I would think a Hall of Fame coach like John Thompson who was so successful for so long would have other former assistants that Georgetown could consider. But I honestly don't know who that might include.

Like many programs, the legacy thing often doesn't work.  Might I cite the Packers and to a lesser extent our Warriors as examples. As was duscussed elsewhere,  Duke would be advised to cast a wide net.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
So, does this mean we're done with the chants?
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=50877.0

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »
I would love a retro-jersey matchup night, where all the Big East teams wear throwback uniforms in their opponents against one another.  Perhaps the Bradley could install an old school MECCA floor for the occasion, eh?

[/img]

It'll never happen for a variety of reasons (Nike doesn't promote that which it does not control), but here's a road opponent (and jersey) for you: