Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: morning after meditation  (Read 8144 times)

tower912

• All American
morning after meditation
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:34:09 AM »
If the outcome was reversed, if Nova had come from 10 down in the last four minutes only to lose at the buzzer, what would you think about...
Jay Wright?
 The Big East's place in the basketball universe?
Whether it was an all-time great final?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: morning after meditation
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:39:40 AM »
We'd be hearing endless stories about the mighty P5...and how Villanova was a scrappy underdog that couldn't get it done. The ACC-ESPN love fest would be out of control.

Instead, the Big East has firmly re-established itself as a major player. Congrats and thank you, 'nova.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »
Jay Wright's game plan worked wonderfully. He definitely out coached no matter the outcome. Very impressed with their play all tournament. Great ambassador school for the BE.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »
If the outcome was reversed, if Nova had come from 10 down in the last four minutes only to lose at the buzzer, what would you think about...
Jay Wright?
Ellenson would reverse course to save the Big East.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:57:52 AM »
If I looked hard enough I could find quotes from Scoopers claiming that Wright had lost it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:59:32 AM »
It was a great game regardless. When Nova was surging back into the lead, I was in a group text. Two cheering for Nova, 1 for UNC, 1 neutral. Everyone agreed during and after that it was an all timer. Great cap to one of the best CBB seasons in memory. Too bad we weren't more relevant, but 2015-16 was one of my favorite seasons ever.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:01:25 AM »
In my mind this was an all time great final no matter who won.  It was close the whole way - had give and take from both teams on some fantastic runs - had the feeling that each possession was special/important - had last second heroics (even before the VU three).  It reminded me of the Duke-Butler game - that one would have been an all-time great if that last second shot just went in.  If you walk away from that game criticizing one of those coaches - you are just looking for problems.

That being said the BEast narrative could change a bit from here forward.  Tougher for ESPN to take pot-shots -- I like that. 

I hope the conference capitalizes on this by doing something unique -- being the first conference to embrace cord cutting (along with FS1) or some other innovation to the game. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »
In my mind this was an all time great final no matter who won.  It was close the whole way - had give and take from both teams on some fantastic runs - had the feeling that each possession was special/important - had last second heroics (even before the VU three).  It reminded me of the Duke-Butler game - that one would have been an all-time great if that last second shot just went in.  If you walk away from that game criticizing one of those coaches - you are just looking for problems.

That being said the BEast narrative could change a bit from here forward.  Tougher for ESPN to take pot-shots -- I like that. 

I hope the conference capitalizes on this by doing something unique -- being the first conference to embrace cord cutting (along with FS1) or some other innovation to the game.

The rest of the conference can tell players on the recruiting trail that BE teams can win national championships.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 09:28:54 AM »
Jay Wright?

Win, or lose, Jay Wright had a great game plan that was built on the strengths of his players and the players executed the plan. The four guards cut off the passing lanes on defence and moved the ball and hit their shots on offence.

The Big East would be way out in the planetary orbit ... probably between Neptune and Pluto. The Villanova win was  huge for the credibility of the Big East, as reflected in articles in the NYTimes, WashPost, etc.

It was a great game. However, what made it truly great where the last two three point shots.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »
If I looked hard enough I could find quotes from Scoopers claiming that Wright had lost it.
You are right about that. Wish Wojo had "lost it" like Wright. Wright has done a great job. Meanwhile, MU is in the middle of the pack of BEast with "superior" talent as compared to Villanova. Based on recruiting past several years:
2016 MU ranked 13; Nova 46
2015 MU ranked 13; Nova 30
2014 MU not ranked; Nova 46
2013 MU ranked 7; Nova 32
Yup--Wright has lost it.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
I'm so sick of the Gottlieb's of the world making this out to be gritty but untalented Villanova "upsetting" almighty North Carolina. North Carolina was a crummy 3 point shooting team who had a remarkable shooting night and Villanova still controlled the game for almost the entire second half. If both teams shoot it the way they normally do Villanova wins by double digits. But, but, what about the Tar Heels' "big men" disappearing? Well, so did Kansas star Perry Ellis. That's what can happen when quick, physical guards pressure the perimeter (it's what every knowledgeable Warrior fan was begging TC to do against Stanford - to no avail).

Villanova was no Cinderella. They were the best team in the tournament, beat two #1s, a #2 and a #3. Carolina, Kansas and the other blue bloods didn't beat anybody.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 10:01:58 AM »

and dresses like crap

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 10:17:37 AM »
I am waiting for the Jay Wright to BCS School X speculation to begin...

Death on call

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 10:24:58 AM »
I am waiting for the Jay Wright to BCS School X speculation to begin...

No way.  He's a lifer at Nova, having been an assistant to Massimino back in the late 80s

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:33:12 AM »
No way.  He's a lifer at Nova, having been an assistant to Massimino back in the late 80s

I was kidding...

Death on call

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »
I'm so sick of the Gottlieb's of the world making this out to be gritty but untalented Villanova "upsetting" almighty North Carolina. North Carolina was a crummy 3 point shooting team who had a remarkable shooting night and Villanova still controlled the game for almost the entire second half. If both teams shoot it the way they normally do Villanova wins by double digits. But, but, what about the Tar Heels' "big men" disappearing? Well, so did Kansas star Perry Ellis. That's what can happen when quick, physical guards pressure the perimeter (it's what every knowledgeable Warrior fan was begging TC to do against Stanford - to no avail).

Villanova was no Cinderella. They were the best team in the tournament, beat two #1s, a #2 and a #3. Carolina, Kansas and the other blue bloods didn't beat anybody.

Well said Lenny.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 11:25:46 AM »

We'll see. I could see a NBA team making a run at him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »
We'll see. I could see a NBA team making a run at him.

Didn't he turn down a couple NBA offers a few years ago? I think it was the 76ers but still
Maigh Eo for Sam

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »

You take out the final shot, and that game was a run of the mill clunker. Neither team shot that well.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »
You take out the final shot, and that game was a run of the mill clunker. Neither team shot that well.

You are right - I went back to the box score - must have over-romanticized it based on the final play and the fact it was a close game.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 12:06:09 PM »

What game did you watch?

Villavova
58.3% FG
57.1% From 3

UNC
42.9% FG
64.7% From 3

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
Jay Wright?

It was a great game. But all time gets thrown around a lot. The 1989 final was just as exciting with Seton Hall falling to Michigan 80-79 in the last seconds. I believe a foul call ended the game if I recall correctly.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »
What game did you watch?

Villavova
58.3% FG
57.1% From 3

UNC
42.9% FG
64.7% From 3

Oops, sorry didn't see the Butler/Duke bolded on this monitor at first, thought you meant last night.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »
Didn't he turn down a couple NBA offers a few years ago? I think it was the 76ers but still
  I remember seeing an interview with him over the weekend and being asked about NBA jobs. I don't recall his exact wording, but I remember thinking to myself, "that is exactly what everyone on Scoop wanted to hear our coach say regarding other job offers".  It was pretty clear he wasn't interested in another job.

So...expect to hear he took another job within the week.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
It's hard not to enjoy a game that Raf is enjoying - I wish MU games had no other announcer besides him (no play by play, just Raf).

Curious, did anyone watch the "team stream" call for either side?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

feedback