collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tesla Model 3 Unveil  (Read 9954 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Tesla Model 3 Unveil
« on: April 01, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Q4VGQPk2Dl8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Q4VGQPk2Dl8</a>

jficke13

• All American
Re: Tesla Model 3 Unveil
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »
I'd love one, but I regularly need a longer than 200 mile round trip range for work. Not very practical for me.*

*setting aside cost/availability issues

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
The range issue is the only thing holding e-cars back.  There needs to be a battery swap or quick recharge situation, or something.  It is like being limited to a single tank of gas, and a small one at that. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 03:58:02 PM »
When the battery technology develops to where they can be swapped out like the ones on your power tools, EV's will gain significant market share.    The second big breakthrough will be when the battery can be charged by solar powers on the cars.     Re:   The Tesla Mode 3, I am holding out for the AWD hatchback.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »
EV is the worst solution out there. By a lot.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
Question for Keefe or Eng. I know commercial flying is way different than military flying but just curious let's say for say a 5 hour flight, little to no turbulence, how much does a pilot actually fly now vs. Autopilot.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »
The range issue is the only thing holding e-cars back.  There needs to be a battery swap or quick recharge situation, or something.  It is like being limited to a single tank of gas, and a small one at that.

Give it time...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/H5V0vL3nnHY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/H5V0vL3nnHY</a>

Note: There are thousands (and going to double the total # by end of 2017) of superchargers throughout the US

https://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:11:39 PM »
As of yesterday, already 115k reservations for the Model 3.

Good luck getting that tax credit.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 04:11:49 PM »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »

There aren't that many in Wisconsin. Until they exist in rural areas, I'd have to take some inefficient routes to courthouses to make sure I could swing by a supercharger.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »
Question for Keefe or Eng. I know commercial flying is way different than military flying but just curious let's say for say a 5 hour flight, little to no turbulence, how much does a pilot actually fly now vs. Autopilot.

Launch and recovery. That's it. Iron Mike the rest of the way.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
Launch and recovery. That's it. Iron Mike the rest of the way.

Even then depending on the airport/approach some landings are automated (assuming VFR)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »
Even then depending on the airport/approach some landings are automated (assuming VFR)

That's true but most approaches are still manual and some are exclusively so.

Flight deck crew are really just important insurance policies. With big watches.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »
EV is the worst solution out there. By a lot.

Agree, but that doesn't stop the ecowarriors....the irony is there are more sound eco options. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 07:52:11 PM »

You can put a charger in your garage for a few hundred dollars and start everyday with a full charge.

Tesla will tell you that 80 to 90% of their owners needs are satisfied by this range.  And they all own at least 1 gasoline powered car for the other 10% to 20%.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 07:57:42 PM »
As of yesterday, already 115k reservations for the Model 3.

Good luck getting that tax credit.

That's why they started pre-orders yesterday, to take advantage of the tax credit.

The Tesla showrooms (not dealerships) were like Apple stores the day of an iPhone release.  Lines out the door.

Oh ... no one has seen the car and the hope to start delivery in late 2017.

Tesla got orders for 115k cars in one day on the strength of their reputation with anyone ever seeing one.  You think Ford, GM, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, etc could pull that off?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 08:03:34 PM »
When the battery technology develops to where they can be swapped out like the ones on your power tools, EV's will gain significant market share.    The second big breakthrough will be when the battery can be charged by solar powers on the cars.     Re:   The Tesla Mode 3, I am holding out for the AWD hatchback.

They rolled that out a few months ago.  The model x, rear gull-wing door, starting price is $140k

But you have to wait a year, 2016 production is already sold out, unless to want to pay up and buy the pre-order from someone.  Those are going for $30 to $50k (making the all-in price around $200k).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:52 PM »
Ya can probably find one on EBay or Craig's List, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »
They rolled that out a few months ago.  The model x, rear gull-wing door, starting price is $140k

But you have to wait a year, 2016 production is already sold out, unless to want to pay up and buy the pre-order from someone.  Those are going for $30 to $50k (making the all-in price around $200k).

I am aware of the model X.   I even know what Musk's initial idea for the 3 series was.   I want a hatchback off of this body style at this price point.  I like hatchbacks and small wagons.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 09:25:23 PM »
I am aware of the model X.   I even know what Musk's initial idea for the 3 series was.   I want a hatchback off of this body style at this price point.  I like hatchbacks and small wagons.   

You and Ellen?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 09:27:37 PM »
Teslas are everywhere out here.  And Leafs.  And Volts.   One guy in the parking structure brings his own extension cord and plugs it into the wall rather than going to the charging station.  People have a good time unplugging it for him because he's stealing from the company.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 05:22:16 AM »
You and Ellen?

Everybody has their quirks.   

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 09:38:32 AM »
Preoders up to 232k

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 09:49:40 AM »
That's why they started pre-orders yesterday, to take advantage of the tax credit.

The Tesla showrooms (not dealerships) were like Apple stores the day of an iPhone release.  Lines out the door.

Oh ... no one has seen the car and the hope to start delivery in late 2017.

Tesla got orders for 115k cars in one day on the strength of their reputation with anyone ever seeing one.  You think Ford, GM, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, etc could pull that off?

It wasn't quite 115K, but an entire years allocation of Dodge Challenger Hellcats were sold before they were built. 
And it is a little weird that Tesla gets to operate their own stores.  I believe it is illegal for car manufacturers to own their selling outlets.  Except for Tesla. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 10:29:51 AM »
Curious what the cold weather does to the stated range.  Seems like a MN winter might make it a bit shorter, no?

feedback