[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: After Proposed Tax on Endowment, Gov. Rick Scott Invites Yale to Move to Florida  (Read 3269 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
After Proposed Tax on Endowment, Gov. Rick Scott Invites Yale to Move to Florida

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/college-game-plan/after-proposed-tax-endowment-gov-rick-scott-invites-yale-move-n547971?cid=sm_tw

Gov. Rick Scott, R-Florida, has invited one of the nation's most well-regarded universities to move from its Connecticut home down to his state.

Scott on Tuesday called on Yale to relocate to the Sunshine State in response to a consideration from the Connecticut state legislature to impose a tax on the school's $25.6 billion endowment.

"We would welcome a world-renowned university like Yale to our state," he said.
Struggling to close a state budget deficit, Connecticut lawmakers have proposed a 7 percent tax on the net investment profits of Yale's endowment. Scott vowed he wouldn't tax the Ivy League if it came to Florida.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
How many times do these people want to tax the monies??  Quit fackin spending so damn much!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
How many times do these people want to tax the monies??  Quit fackin spending so damn much!!

Gotta pay for Husky Football...

World-Class athletics doesn't come cheap

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Yale already replied with the statement, that "We've had a great 300 year relationship with the city of New Haven and the state of Connecticut and look forward to the next 300 years."

Only 2 lawmakers proposed it and it's not going anywhere.

GGGG

• All American
State laws require that not-for-profits go to great lengths to ensure that endowments are perpetual.  Furthermore, all of the proceeds are being spent for a purpose exempt from taxation.  So what exactly is Yale supposed to do here? 

Now if you want the federal government to require minimum endowment distributions that take away their perpetual nature, similar to what they do with private foundations, I could listen to that.  Say that instead of the 4-4.5% that many endowments currently pay out, that you increase those to 7-8%, I might be interested.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I was thinking Yale could join the SEC once they move to Florida.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

New Haven is a small city with all the problems you would expect from a major metro area.  Yale is the biggest thing in town.  If it were just as easy as you say above.... 

I did actually hear this morning that this was precipitated by Yale purchasing a building currently on the tax rolls and generating ~$250K in income for the city per year - which under new ownership goes away.  I'm sure there are a million crazy solutions to that problem...but its not like it isn't a real problem.

GGGG

• All American
New Haven is a small city with all the problems you would expect from a major metro area.  Yale is the biggest thing in town.  If it were just as easy as you say above.... 

I did actually hear this morning that this was precipitated by Yale purchasing a building currently on the tax rolls and generating ~$250K in income for the city per year - which under new ownership goes away.  I'm sure there are a million crazy solutions to that problem...but its not like it isn't a real problem.

Yale will likely offer to increase its service payments to the city.  But not by $250,000.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Every governor does this.  I see my governor (in the state where Yale resides) yesterday was sending letters to multiple corporations in North Carolina stating he would help them relocate to Connecticut if they are unhappy with the new "religious" laws.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

Yale will likely offer to increase its service payments to the city.  But not by $250,000.

Yep.  Like many large non-profits, Yale probably pays a boatload of $$$ to the city as payments in lieu of taxes.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Yep.  Like many large non-profits, Yale probably pays a boatload of $$$ to the city as payments in lieu of taxes.

Yes to both of you..and I did not mean to insinuate that its Yale's problem.  The city has the problem - multiple stakeholders will have figure out the solution.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
I was thinking Yale could join the SEC once they move to Florida.

I'm not sure they could meet the stringent standards for academic performance demanded by the SEC of its student athletes.

Death on call

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Every governor does this.  I see my governor (in the state where Yale resides) yesterday was sending letters to multiple corporations in North Carolina stating he would help them relocate to Connecticut if they are unhappy with the new "religious" laws.
Connecticut already lost GE this year due to tax hikes. Global HQ was in Fairfield. I suppose a university is trickier to relocate, but those maneuvers have consequences.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Connecticut already lost GE this year due to tax hikes. Global HQ was in Fairfield. I suppose a university is trickier to relocate, but those maneuvers have consequences.

Well stated!  Hey Grayson, I just realized your screen name.  He was/is quite the figure head in Florida.  Care to share your logic behind choosing him?  Just curious, no biggie, but the name choice is clever unless he's a hero of yours I don't mean to offend, but.....
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
Well stated!  Hey Grayson, I just realized your screen name.  He was/is quite the figure head in Florida.  Care to share your logic behind choosing him?  Just curious, no biggie, but the name choice is clever unless he's a hero of yours I don't mean to offend, but.....
It's a yearlong token of appreciation for his transcendent performance in last year's NC game.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American

They didn't loose GE to tax hikes.  That was the GE public excuse.  GE is moving to equally in not more expensive Boston.  Connecticut even made an offer of about the same magnitude as Massachusetts to move to downtown Stamford from Fairfield.

The topper is due to loopholes GE only paid $250 in taxes to the state of Connecticut and after the tax hike would continue to pay only $250.

reinko

• All American
They didn't loose GE to tax hikes.  That was the GE public excuse.  GE is moving to equally in not more expensive Boston.  Connecticut even made an offer of about the same magnitude as Massachusetts to move to downtown Stamford from Fairfield.

The topper is due to loopholes GE only paid $250 in taxes to the state of Connecticut and after the tax hike would continue to pay only $250.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

So why did GE move?

• All American

k

The move also will lower GE's tax bill. Even though Massachusetts is often called "Taxachusetts," it ranked 25th in a 2016 Tax Foundation survey of positive business tax climates among U.S. states. Connecticut ranked 44th, near the bottom.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0UR27P20160113

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Access to talent

CT is that undesirable for executives?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
CT is that undesirable for executives?
No tech pool is much better in Boston...that is what the company narrative was post decision versus the initial 'threat'

Tugg Speedman

• All American
No tech pool is much better in Boston...that is what the company narrative was post decision versus the initial 'threat'

So, open a tech office in Boston.  Better, open a tech office in San Fran too.

Don't have to move the headquarters of one of the largest companies in the world because a bunch of nerds do not want to live in Stamford.

Has to be another reason.

• All American
The headquarters office is pretty meaningless in terms of work force. Fewer than 300 total out of a 300k+ person company. It's nicer to say you're motivated by the rich educational tradition of Boston rather than taxes, but that line doesn't make a ton of sense.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
OK guys I'm just telling you what was said in the local press. I think there was something about wanting to be in a city as well. 

Think what you want but it is not like they moved to Texas or Fl. If they did that I would probably be in your camp.