[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The program we want to be  (Read 8913 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: The program we want to be
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
I don't know if he's the answer to all of our "troubles" but he is a far and away the best grad transfer available right now. Last year we were gaga over Damion Lee, a volume scorer from a worse team from the same "low mid-major" conference.

Because Damion Lee is a much, much better player than Barry and wasn't coming off a season-ending injury.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »
Because Damion Lee is a much, much better player than Barry and wasn't coming off a season-ending injury.

Yes, Lee is better than Barry, but not by the vast amount you seem to be insinuating. Barry would have been a starter for us this season.

And again he's the best grad transfer currently on the market. If someone better comes along than well talk about that guy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 10:04:17 AM »
Yes, Lee is better than Barry, but not by the vast amount you seem to be insinuating. Barry would have been a starter for us this season.

And again he's the best grad transfer currently on the market. If someone better comes along than well talk about that guy.

For me, it comes down to fit. Barry may be the best player, but does he fit? On paper I'd say no. We have shooters with the addition of Rowsey and Hauser, as well as returning Cheatham, Duane, JJ, and Traci. We have wings and volume scorers. What we don't have a plethora of is rebounding and inside scoring. I don't think Barry fixes that. Last year, the qualities Lee and Miller brought were things we knew were deficiencies. Just don't see that in Barry, even though I like him generally as a player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »
For me, it comes down to fit. Barry may be the best player, but does he fit? On paper I'd say no. We have shooters with the addition of Rowsey and Hauser, as well as returning Cheatham, Duane, JJ, and Traci. We have wings and volume scorers. What we don't have a plethora of is rebounding and inside scoring. I don't think Barry fixes that. Last year, the qualities Lee and Miller brought were things we knew were deficiencies. Just don't see that in Barry, even though I like him generally as a player.

That's absolutely fair and I agree. But I think you can never have enough wings who can score. I'm not as scared of running a 4 guard offense as everyone else is. I think it could be very successful.

But if we could get a Savon Goodman or even a Darion Clark, I think that might fit our needs better.
TAMU

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 11:25:25 AM »
Our team's big problem last year was Defense, not Offense.  I'd say Defense was even a bigger problem than rebounding.  From an offensive standpoint playing JJJ or Hani at the 4 is fine.  The problem is how do we defend a team that has a powerful 6-9 #4.  We are going to need someone who can GUARD a big #4 even if our new guy doesn't score a point.  That's what we need to look for.
As much as Wojo hates it we'll likely have to play a match up zone of some kind much of the time to avoid getting Fish dragged out on the perimeter where he is a foul magnet.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »
Well...if we're on the Villanova trail...

Villanova 2012: 13-19
Marquette 2015: 13-19

Villanova 2013: 20-14
Marquette 2016: 20-13

Villanova 2014: 29-5
Marquette 2017: ?-?

I'll take that ;D

I remember the years that Nova sucked with mostly freshman.....which happens to be this team.  Looks like our path too.  Our future is bright!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 12:36:35 PM »
Our team's big problem last year was Defense, not Offense.  I'd say Defense was even a bigger problem than rebounding.  From an offensive standpoint playing JJJ or Hani at the 4 is fine.  The problem is how do we defend a team that has a powerful 6-9 #4.  We are going to need someone who can GUARD a big #4 even if our new guy doesn't score a point.  That's what we need to look for.
As much as Wojo hates it we'll likely have to play a match up zone of some kind much of the time to avoid getting Fish dragged out on the perimeter where he is a foul magnet.

Recency bias. We had trouble with defense in the last four games. Prior to that were ranked in the top 50 defenses per kenpom.
TAMU

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »
Recency bias. We had trouble with defense in the last four games. Prior to that were ranked in the top 50 defenses per kenpom.
The entire BE season we gave up way to many inside points and we couldn't get stops when we needed to.  Remember the early Seton Hall and G-Town games.  Our defense rating was probably skewed by all the cupcakes.  By the end of the year our offense was beginning to look pretty darn good (mostly like due to maturation at the PG position and JJ coming of age) but the defense never did improve.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 01:31:33 PM »
The entire BE season we gave up way to many inside points and we couldn't get stops when we needed to.  Remember the early Seton Hall and G-Town games.  Our defense rating was probably skewed by all the cupcakes.  By the end of the year our offense was beginning to look pretty darn good (mostly like due to maturation at the PG position and JJ coming of age) but the defense never did improve.

Agree on the offense but TAMU is right. Our defense the first 12-13 games of the Big East season was top half of the league and our offense was ranked near the bottom. That said, it definitely started to shift at the end and the last 5 games or so were awful defensively.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
Agree on the offense but TAMU is right. Our defense the first 12-13 games of the Big East season was top half of the league and our offense was ranked near the bottom. That said, it definitely started to shift at the end and the last 5 games or so were awful defensively.

The metrics were skewed because MU created a lot of TOs. In terms of traditional statistics, such as Opp FG%, points allowed, rebounding, etc, MU was near the bottom across the board.

Bottom line: The team defense was bad.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 03:57:27 PM »
Well...if we're on the Villanova trail...

Villanova 2012: 13-19
Marquette 2015: 13-19

Villanova 2013: 20-14
Marquette 2016: 20-13

Villanova 2014: 29-5
Marquette 2017: ?-?

I'll take that ;D

Yes!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
This. You don't need a PF to be good in the BEast. It certainly helps, but strong wings and guards in a 4 guard offense can do a lot of damage.

That's why if HE goes pro, I think we are still ok. I think we will be great if we can grab a quality grad transfer. Personally, I like this guy: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14974380/canyon-barry-transfer-charleston-cougars

He's a nice player. Watching his granny free throws would kill me tho.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »
He's a nice player. Watching his granny free throws would kill me tho.

Hey, when he makes his FTs 84.5% of the time, he can shoot it however he wants to. His dad, HOFer Rick Barry shot it the same way.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
That's absolutely fair and I agree. But I think you can never have enough wings who can score. I'm not as scared of running a 4 guard offense as everyone else is. I think it could be very successful.

But if we could get a Savon Goodman or even a Darion Clark, I think that might fit our needs better.

I'm fine with a 4-guard offense, but you still need guys that can rebound the basketball. Maybe Luke and Matt can be Ochefu and Reynolds (I'm skeptical) but can the rest of the team rebound like Hart, Jenkins, and Bridges? We don't need a traditional four in this league, but you do need guys that get after loose balls. I feel like Barry would be just another wing that doesn't rebound much, similar to Jajuan, Duane, and Cheatham. We need some meat on our wings. Doesn't have to be a Henry clone, but if it's a 6'5" or 6'6" guy, they better be able to mix it up a bit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback