Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bucky or ND?  (Read 20598 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
Re: Bucky or ND?
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »
There is no recent history with ND that inspires me to root against them. I'm over the 70s. The Bucky coverage is already insufferable this morning and will only get worse the more they win. ND all day.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
There is no recent history with ND that inspires me to root against them. I'm over the 70s. The Bucky coverage is already insufferable this morning and will only get worse the more they win. ND all day.

Do you live in Wisconsin? Man, it must be unbearable there.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »
This is the worst. Just needs Louisville to complete the misery. Anyone but Bucky.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »
Neither team is all that good.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »
Where was the NCAA when Corey Maggette admitted to taking $200K from a booster? Or when Chris Duhon's mom got a job from a booster? Or the Lance Thomas jewelry scandal?

Does any of this make them any worse than the other myriad scandals that go on in the NCAA? No, probably not. But they certainly aren't any better or any cleaner.

I didn't hear about Duhon's mom, but Magette was over 15 years ago, and I while I don't remember it exactly, I think Lance Thomas was an idiot but the program didn't have much to do with it. As blue bloods go, Duke is squeaky clean.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »
Over two years and a couple of victims, the Duke AD finally acted, despite officials being very aware of these incidents. Squirmy.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2015/03/rasheed-sulaimon-center-sexual-assault-allegations-prior-dismissal

I'm not fully aware of the details of the situation, but a player cannot be dismissed for merely being accused. You have to let the university do a full investigation and the student must be found responsible. Now the fact that it took that long to complete an investigation is questionable. DOE requires Title IX investigations be concluded within 60 days of a report being made.
TAMU

breadtree

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »
Where was the NCAA when Corey Maggette admitted to taking $200K from a booster? Or when Chris Duhon's mom got a job from a booster? Or the Lance Thomas jewelry scandal?

Does any of this make them any worse than the other myriad scandals that go on in the NCAA? No, probably not. But they certainly aren't any better or any cleaner.

Maggette didn't take money from a booster, he took money from an AAU coach not affiliated with Duke and he did so before attending Duke.  That same AAU guy gave money who to players who ended up at Missouri, UCLA, and Oklahoma State.  None of those schools were punished.  The NCAA decided that there was no evidence to suggest Duke knew about these payments.  Pretty simple really.

The Lance Thomas jewelry scandal was that he had some really expensive jewelry.  The NCAA investigated and couldn't find anything.  There was no actual evidence of Thomas being paid by someone he shouldn't have.  I agree that it's really, really fishy, but the main players in that case were no longer affiliated with the NCAA and couldn't be forced to comply with requests for info.

I don't know anything about the Duhon case, but jobs for parents happens all the time.  Unfortunately it's not against the rules.  I'll give you a guess as to which 4 years Mario Chalmers's dad was the Director of Basketball Operations at Kansas.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2016, 12:45:12 PM »
I'm not fully aware of the details of the situation, but a player cannot be dismissed for merely being accused. You have to let the university do a full investigation and the student must be found responsible. Now the fact that it took that long to complete an investigation is questionable. DOE requires Title IX investigations be concluded within 60 days of a report being made.

I certainly don't understand the ins and outs of Title IX...but what about the countless times we have heard of players being dismissed from teams for unspecified "violations of team rules"?  I'd assume most of those dismissals didn't take place after full university investigations.  So what it the coach decides that one of his rules is not getting into a situation that leads to a Title IX investigation?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2016, 12:59:44 PM »
Wasn't their a post on muscoop last year that labelled who we would root for in what situations? I remember at the very bottom in the worst case scenario it was Wisconsin Vs Notre Dame in the Ncaa tournament. The only possible happy outcome was a meteor blowing up the stadium I believe.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2016, 01:00:20 PM »
I certainly don't understand the ins and outs of Title IX...but what about the countless times we have heard of players being dismissed from teams for unspecified "violations of team rules"?  I'd assume most of those dismissals didn't take place after full university investigations.  So what it the coach decides that one of his rules is not getting into a situation that leads to a Title IX investigation?

I can't speak for every situation but if a player were to be dismissed from a team and lose his basketball scholarship before being found responsible for a Title IX violation, the Department of Education would be in there so fast your head would spin. Title IX grants equal protection to both complainants and accused students. You can't punish someone just for being accused. You can make "reasonable intermediate measures" which includes things like changing the accused's class schedule or on campus living situation (usually to make sure the accused and complainant won't end up seeing each other). Losing an athletic scholarship would not be reasonable.

When players are dismissed for "unspecified violation of team rules" it is code for kid was expelled for either not making academic requirements or breaking university rules. These dismissals don't happen until the whole investigation process is followed. The university can NEVER announce what team rule was broken. A students conduct and academic record is protect by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The only reason we know about Suliamon and Jameis Winston type situations is because somehow the media got a hold of the story. Sometime schools don't even announce when a player is dismissed. They just let him quietly transfer or go pro.

A coach could choose to permanently bench a player accused of sexual assault. That's definitely ok. But the player would still benefit from his scholarship. But I don't think much coaches would do that. I assume Suliamon swore up and down to Coach K that he was innocent. What message does it send if a coach punishes a player just for an accusation? The real squirm lies with Maryland for taking the kid knowing what he was kicked out of Duke for.
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »
(FERPA)

FERPA? Is that like FUPA before shaving started?

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2016, 01:55:09 PM »
I am for Wisconsin over ND. ND is arrogant and obnoxious , and Wojo is most likely competing for talent with them. So I would prefer not to see them do well. I was in seventh heaven when they had the Gerry Faust era in football and when guys like Charlie Weis left town with tail between their legs. Finally ND is not interested in scheduling with us.

Also I believe there is a modest benefit to Marquette when the Badgers do well. The UW game is a locked in game on our schedule, and for the most part the kids we are recruiting are not necessarily going to be exited to play in the UW format.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
FERPA? Is that like FUPA before shaving started?

Nearly googled it. Then remembered it was Keefe and realized I wouldn't like what was on the other side of that search button
TAMU

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »
Frank and Dylan played on the same high school team, so it is no real surprise they are hanging out together.

Didn't realize that. Thanks!

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »
Frank and Dylan played on the same high school team, so it is no real surprise they are hanging out together.

Last I heard Flood lives with Kaminsky in Charlotte and works for him in some capacity.

traitor

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
I fully expect them to beat ND. Would not shock me to see them in another Final Four. And they'll be stronger next year.
Ugh. Think I'll stick with the NBA. Glad I have the Golden St Warriors out here.

Yea i have attended 3 times as many bucks games as Marq games since the wojo era began

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2016, 03:47:59 PM »
Yea i have attended 3 times as many bucks games as Marq games since the wojo era began

So you're a fairweather fan. With Marquette when they are winning and the Bucks suck and switch it when they switch spots.
TAMU

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2016, 03:50:21 PM »
So you're a fairweather fan. With Marquette when they are winning and the Bucks suck and switch it when they switch spots.

Yup. Marquette doesn't get dollar when the product sucks. Just like my favorite lunch counter wouldnt get my dollar if their burgers went down in quality

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
Yup. Marquette doesn't get dollar when the product sucks. Just like my favorite lunch counter wouldnt get my dollar if their burgers went down in quality

Wow. You might be the first openly proud fairweather fan I have ever met. No wonder you identify so much with Wisconsin fans! You bandwagon with the best of them!
TAMU

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
Wow. You might be the first openly proud fairweather fan I have ever met. No wonder you identify so much with Wisconsin fans! You bandwagon with the best of them!
Im a fair weather attender. Not a fair weather fan. I still watched every game on tv unless i was moonlighting

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2016, 04:00:59 PM »

The Bucks are, relatively speaking, at least as bad as Marquette was this year.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »
The Bucks are, relatively speaking, at least as bad as Marquette was this year.
But an nba game is way faster and the bucks best players arent leaving this year

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2016, 05:21:55 PM »

Do they give out medals for stubbornly sticking with a team—whether they suck or not? Sorry, but my time and entertainment dollars are precious. Not wasting either on an inferior product.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
But an nba game is way faster and the bucks best players arent leaving this year

Plus, there are a lot of marquee opponents that come through town.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »
Do they give out medals for stubbornly sticking with a team—whether they suck or not? Sorry, but my time and entertainment dollars are precious. Not wasting either on an inferior product.

I guess I don't understand. There are different kinds of fans and that's OK. I never felt like my fanhood was dependent on the team doing well. I've never felt like I was owed anything for my support. Seems kind of arrogant to me honestly. They aren't my team because they are good, they are my team because they are my team. Maybe it's because I'm Catholic, suffering strengthens faith, lol
TAMU

feedback