[Today at 03:16:25 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[June 05, 2024, 02:41:31 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[June 05, 2024, 08:19:01 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[June 05, 2024, 06:23:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mark Few rips on WCC  (Read 9036 times)

GGGG

• All American
Mark Few rips on WCC
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:43:07 PM »
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3660723-155/gonzagas-few-rest-of-wcc-is

Gonzaga basketball coach Mark Few told The Spokesman-Review in Washington Sunday that the rest of the West Coast Conference is "dragging the top three (teams) down."

After a poor showing for Mid-Major schools on Selection Sunday in which Gonzaga drew an 11-seed in the Midwest Region, Few said "our league needs to really step back and take notice."

Gonzaga, an NCAA Tournament regular, earns extra money for the WCC upon qualification for the postseason. Few bemoaned how much money the Bulldogs are making for distribution within the league while other teams in the conference appear to not be pulling their weight.

"... If they're not spending it on basketball, we don't need to be sponsoring swimming at those schools or whatever they've got going," Few said. "They're not all in."

GGGG

• All American
Re: Mark Few rips on WCC
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »
They really have to be lamenting their situation right now.  They are pretty much in the equivalent of the Colonial Athletic Association right now, but have no real way of escaping because of their geographic location.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »
This is why Gonzaga wants in the Big East (or some analogue) so badly... we've got 10 like-minded schools (well, 9 and JL-P anyway) who are committed to basketball and bring in plenty of tournament ching (that is turned around into further support for basketball). 

What they have in the WCC is one BE-caliber school, two "sometimes ready for prime time" schools, and seven JL-P's.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »
This is why Gonzaga wants in the Big East (or some analogue) so badly... we've got 10 like-minded schools (well, 9 and JL-P anyway) who are committed to basketball and bring in plenty of tournament ching (that is turned around into further support for basketball). 

What they have in the WCC is one BE-caliber school, two "sometimes ready for prime time" schools, and seven JL-P's.

I know BE fans have had Gonzaga on the expansion wish list for years...but do we know that Gonzaga actually wants the BE?  Seems like they'd be logging a lot of frequent flier miles if they joined.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 04:37:23 PM »
We've had this discussion many times.

The general belief is that Gonzaga would love to play BE basketball but it would be difficult to justify the travel in every other sport, both for Gonzaga and for BE schools.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
I know BE fans have had Gonzaga on the expansion wish list for years...but do we know that Gonzaga actually wants the BE?  Seems like they'd be logging a lot of frequent flier miles if they joined.
I still feel this issue is BS. Omaha to Providence is a 5 hour flight already. Gonzaga might require a little bit of grouping schedules to make flights less frequent but it's not WAY outside what is done today.

Not to mention Gonzaga already travels quite a bit in the WCC. Southern California is not near Washington
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:41:11 PM by Grayson Allen »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:12 PM »
Zags only and best real option is the BE (there is nothing else for them out west, any better, and they never get to a Power 5 conf- yes?) . Accordingly, Few, by saying this is almost inviting BE to come calling.
We should explore this...or at least take their call/hint.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »
I still feel this issue is BS. Omaha to Providence is a 5 hour flight already. Gonzaga might require a little bit of grouping schedules to make flights less frequent but it's not WAY outside what is done today.

Not to mention Gonzaga already travels quite a bit in the WCC. Southern California is not near Washington

Not BS.   Providence going to Omaha happens one time a year.  Gonzaga would have to make a trip to DC, then a trip to Philly, then a trip to NYC, then a trip to Chicago, a trip to Indy, trip to Milwaukee, trip to Omaha, trip to Providence, etc, etc.  Sure, a couple of these can be bundled together, but that's enormous travel for one school.  They would basically have to make a minimum of 4, if not 5 or 6 cross country trips each basketball season.  They would be the most traveled school in all of sports and I don't think it would be close.

The bigger issue is all the other sports, all the money losers.  They would love to be in the Big East only for hoops, even if this does put them at a disadvantage in travel, but if they were to leave the WCC for hoops, the WCC would tell them to take a giant leap about staying in the conference for every other sport.  The WCC gets no benefit out of the other sports from Gonzaga.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 06:50:18 PM »
Not BS.   Providence going to Omaha happens one time a year.  Gonzaga would have to make a trip to DC, then a trip to Philly, then a trip to NYC, then a trip to Chicago, a trip to Indy, trip to Milwaukee, trip to Omaha, trip to Providence, etc, etc.  Sure, a couple of these can be bundled together, but that's enormous travel for one school.  They would basically have to make a minimum of 4, if not 5 or 6 cross country trips each basketball season.  They would be the most traveled school in all of sports and I don't think it would be close.

The bigger issue is all the other sports, all the money losers.  They would love to be in the Big East only for hoops, even if this does put them at a disadvantage in travel, but if they were to leave the WCC for hoops, the WCC would tell them to take a giant leap about staying in the conference for every other sport.  The WCC gets no benefit out of the other sports from Gonzaga.

Aside from Hawaii (which obviously is a special case), the most comparable school that I can think of is West Virginia (there are probably others).  Their travel is pretty ridiculous in the Big 12.  But they've got a boatload of football money to support and pay for all that travel.  I just can't see Gonzaga (or, frankly, the BEast schools who would have to make that return trip) wanting to do all that travel.  The only thing that helps a little bit is that Spokane is a long ways away from anywhere - even in their current conference.  But their longest trip - the ridiculously long 1200+ mile trip to San Diego - is still shorter than the 1300+ mile trip to Omaha.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 06:52:34 PM »
Good call on Hawaii.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »
And Hawaii dropped out of the WAC to join the Big West so that basically there only trips are to California.

Also remember that the Zags would also have to ship all their other teams east as well. Not just men's basketball. IMO that is a huge recruiting disadvantage for them.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:41 PM »

I posted on this a few years ago . A friend played baseball for the Zags and is a major booster, having made a sh1tload of money in Seattle tech. He related that there is mutual interest between the Big East and Gonzaga but there are a couple original BE schools who are vehemently opposed.

There are a lot of moving parts and a majority want something to happen. From what I understand this could involve some other west of the Rockies schools who would effectively make the Big East a two division conference. 

My intel is two years old now but there was very high interest on all sides save for two BE schools.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 11:03:03 PM »
I posted on this a few years ago . A friend played baseball for the Zags and is a major booster, having made a sh1tload of money in Seattle tech. He related that there is mutual interest between the Big East and Gonzaga but there are a couple original BE schools who are vehemently opposed.

There are a lot of moving parts and a majority want something to happen. From what I understand this could involve some other west of the Rockies schools who would effectively make the Big East a two division conference. 

My intel is two years old now but there was very high interest on all sides save for two BE schools.

Which would suck because we would get stuck in the West division with Depaul, Gonzaga, Creighton and the other team. No thank you.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 11:12:07 PM »

Has to be Georgetown and Nova.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 11:15:20 PM »
Here's the thing, what happens if Mark Few leaves, they start to go south....then you're stuck with a school that has had "some" success, but never a Final Four even.  That's a fairly big bet.  There investment is decent, but if I were a Big East school, along with all of the other red flags, that would be a concern of mine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 11:35:19 PM »
Here's the thing, what happens if Mark Few leaves, they start to go south....then you're stuck with a school that has had "some" success, but never a Final Four even.  That's a fairly big bet.  There investment is decent, but if I were a Big East school, along with all of the other red flags, that would be a concern of mine.

Don't forget that the year before Mark Few became head coach there, Dan Monson put Gonzaga on the map by taking the team to the 1999 Elite Eight -- an accomplishment Few never matched until last year.

So they have had two consecutive successful coaches.

Few has no reason to leave, and even less if the Zags were to come to the BE. He is paid a ton, he is God there and Gonzaga bkb is the only show in town.

Oh, and didn't the BE run the same risk inviting Butler after Brad Stevens left?

And what if Wright leaves Nova?

For me, there are many reasons Gonzaga won't work. The possible exodus of the coach is not a big one in my book. No red flag at all, at least for me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 11:52:39 PM »
Don't forget that the year before Mark Few became head coach there, Dan Monson put Gonzaga on the map by taking the team to the 1999 Elite Eight -- an accomplishment Few never matched until last year.

Few has no reason to leave, and even less if the Zags were to come to the BE. He is paid a ton, he is God there and Gonzaga bkb is the only show in town.

Oh, and didn't the BE run the same risk inviting Butler after Brad Stevens left?

For me, there are many reasons Gonzaga won't work. The possible exodus of the coach is not a big one in my book. No red flag at all, at least for me.

I'm well aware...he then went to Minnesota and ultimately down here at Long Beach State. 

If Wright leaves Villanova, they've had good coaches over the years, Final Fours (Zaga has none) from multiple coaches....four Final Fours..1930s, 70's, 80's, 2000s, they will be fine.   Not so sure on Gonzaga.   Takes a different kind of coach to want to stay in Spokane that long, Few is that kind of person.

There are some schools that are defined by their coach, other schools that despite the coach, they do well.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 08:25:03 AM »
Chicos makes a very good case for why Gonzaga might not be a good choice.  They are a hot basketball name sure, but if they "do a DePaul" the Big East is stuck with a bad basketball program, 2,000 miles away, and in a crappy media market.

If Nova does a DePaul, at least they are in Philadelphia and are geographically close.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 10:41:27 AM »
This is obviously a smaller issue than the ones laid out above, but I imagine Zag fans wouldn't like the 4 PM or 9 AM local start on half a dozen road games.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »
This is obviously a smaller issue than the ones laid out above, but I imagine Zag fans wouldn't like the 4 PM or 9 AM local start on half a dozen road games.

Take it from one who knows - it ain't a problem.

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »

Butler is different from Gonzaga in that it has two Final Fours under its belt, and both very recent.  Gonzaga has only gotten as far as the Elite Eight.  Still very good, but a big difference in perception.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 11:00:55 AM »

There are some schools that are defined by their coach, other schools that despite the coach, they do well.

I always thought they had a good Bball tradition because of the recent success + John Stockton.  Looking at the record though one could argue they are just Mark Few - he joined as an assistant around the same time as Monson.  Since Monson had such a spectacular fizzle at Minnesota - you wonder who was the brains of the operation.

Not that it says they can't replicate it with someone else, but had no idea he was such a long-term employee.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 11:31:33 AM »
I always thought they had a good Bball tradition because of the recent success + John Stockton.  Looking at the record though one could argue they are just Mark Few - he joined as an assistant around the same time as Monson.  Since Monson had such a spectacular fizzle at Minnesota - you wonder who was the brains of the operation.

Not that it says they can't replicate it with someone else, but had no idea he was such a long-term employee.

Yeah, he loves it up there...he's an Eastern Washington type of person and I think that will be tough to find for any consistency.  Monson does ok down here at Long Beach State, they are competitive at least.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »
I love how people suggest Spokane is on Mars. Or that it is a less than desirable place to live.

I hate to say it but has anyone taken an objective look at Milwaukee? It isn't that great in many ways and if you aren't from there it is even less appealing.

I loved my time at Marquette but not once did I ever think that I wanted to settle in Milwaukee.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »
I love how people suggest Spokane is on Mars. Or that it is a less than desirable place to live.

I hate to say it but has anyone taken an objective look at Milwaukee? It isn't that great in many ways and if you aren't from there it is even less appealing.

I loved my time at Marquette but not once did I ever think that I wanted to settle in Milwaukee.   

Who said Spokane was a less desirable place to live?  I've been there once.  Seemed fine to me.

And yes, it is isolated geographically compared to the Big East.  Just look at any map and that's what you'll see.