Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: X BET Game Thread and Chat Link  (Read 5328 times)

marquette09

• All American
Re: X BET Game Thread and Chat Link
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 07:21:54 PM »
I can't remember the last time we shot this horribly.

Last Saturday

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
This is over

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 07:24:11 PM »
Last Saturday

I must've drank that memory away too.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »
Why does Anim never play?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »
Couple thoughts.

1) When does Wojo clear the bench?  I'd guess about the 6 minute mark.

2) i wonder if in the postgame he mentions hoping that we get to play some more.  If he does, could that be considered a willingness to participate in something beyond the NIT if that was our only option?

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »
Why can't we lose close and make a tourney lose respectable?
Fear makes you dumb.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »
Couple thoughts.

1) When does Wojo clear the bench?  I'd guess about the 6 minute mark.

2) i wonder if in the postgame he mentions hoping that we get to play some more.  If he does, could that be considered a willingness to participate in something beyond the NIT if that was our only option?

2. God I hope not. Sense of pride outweighs the benefits of an extra game or two. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »
Lol. Cohen channeling his inner Dan Fitzgerald on that Reynolds foul

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 07:47:17 PM »
Rafterty has been so bad tonight lol. Cheatham with the off hand. Time to hang em up. He sucks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 07:50:11 PM »
Gus and Raft are the only reason I'm watching.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 07:52:31 PM »
Wally just showed more toughness with that board and basket than Cohen has ever shown combined.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
Gus and Raft are the only reason I'm watching.

I'm thinking about turning off the volume. I can't believe how pro-Xavier they've become. Yea, X is killing us, and it makes sense to promote them. But, their dialogue around Farr's foul  on Wally was absurd. If Henry's was and F1, then so was Farr's. Yet, they made no comparison and just said it was two guys going hard. BS.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »
With regard to next season, the key is player development. Even if Henry declares, there's a lot to work with.

Start with the backcourt. Everyone returns: Traci and Haanif (SO), Duane (JR), Jajuan (SR), plus Rowsey (JR). That's real talent, experience and depth.

Hannif is a stud. Traci and Jajuan have made huge strides from the beginning of the season. Duane was solid. I expect Traci to play 25-30 minutes a game at the point — with some combination of Rowsey, Cheatham and Wilson filling the rest. Turnovers and 3-point shooting are key areas for improvement. Make progress there, and I could see this becoming the best group of guards in the Big East.

The front court holds more questions, but plenty of potential. With a good offseason of work, Luke could be a first-team all-conference center as a senior. Is Matt ready to play at least 5-10 minutes a game as a dependable backup? Remains to be seen. There will be multiple options at small forward — including returnees Sandy (JR), Wally (SR) and Sacar (SO), plus freshmen Hauser. Someone's got to step up.

Of course, the real question in at the four. If Lazar could play the 5 at just 6'6", it's possible that a rotation of Wally, Sacar or Sandy could hold down this spot. Maybe we'll play more 3-guard or even 4-guard lineups. Maybe we'll land a transfer. There's just no way to tell right now, so I'll withhold judgment at least until the roster is set.

I think we came into this season with far more unknowns. Would Henry live up to the hype? (He's exceeded it in my opinion — breaking multiple school records and earning all-conference honors during one of the best freshmen seasons in Marquette history.) Would we be able to trust the ball in the hands of two freshmen guards? How much would Luke, Duane and Jajuan improve over 2014-15?

Between our talent, depth and experience (including Wojo having another year as a head coach under his belt), I think we're an NCAA tournament team next year. If by some chance Henry comes back, look out. Either way, I'll be looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:20:08 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »

Start with the backcourt. Everyone returns: Traci and Haanif (SO), Duane (JR), Jajuan (SR), plus Rowsey (SR). That's real talent, experience and depth.

I believe Rowsey will be a junior (two years of eligibility).

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2016, 08:14:31 PM »

Correct.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »

Good catch. My mistake. Think the point still holds up, especially since he's had a full year practicing with the team. Even better for the future.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 08:26:11 PM »
With regard to next season, the key is player development. Even if Henry declares, there's a lot to work with.

Start with the backcourt. Everyone returns: Traci and Haanif (SO), Duane (JR), Jajuan (SR), plus Rowsey (JR). That's real talent, experience and depth.

Hannif is a stud. Traci and Jajuan have made huge strides from the beginning of the season. Duane was solid. I expect Traci to play 25-30 minutes a game at the point — with some combination of Rowsey, Cheatham and Wilson filling the rest. Turnovers and 3-point shooting are key areas for improvement. Make progress there, and I could see this becoming the best group of guards in the Big East.

The front court holds more questions, but plenty of potential. With a good offseason of work, Luke could be a first-team all-conference center as a senior. Is Matt ready to play at least 5-10 minutes a game as a dependable backup? Remains to be seen. There will be multiple options at small forward — including returnees Sandy (JR), Wally (SR) and Sacar (SO), plus freshmen Hauser. Someone's got to step up.

Of course, the real question in at the four. If Lazar could play the 5 at just 6'6", it's possible that a rotation of Wally, Sacar or Sandy could hold down this spot. Maybe we'll play more 3-guard or even 4-guard lineups. Maybe we'll land a transfer. There's just no way to tell right now, so I'll withhold judgment at least until the roster is set.

I think we came into this season with far more unknowns. Would Henry live up to the hype? (He's exceeded it in my opinion — breaking multiple school records and earning all-conference honors during one of the best freshmen seasons in Marquette history.) Would we be able to trust the ball in the hands of two freshmen guards? How much would Luke, Duane and Jajuan improve over 2014-15?

Between our talent, depth and experience (including Wojo having another year as a head coach under his belt), I think we're an NCAA tournament team next year. If by some chance Henry comes back, look out. Either way, I'll be looking forward to it.

Not a Wojo fan but I think he does a good job with player skill development.  JJJ has been a huge transformation from last year and Henry has really improved.  I have no doubt that players will get better for next year.  Now if only Wojo can improve his game day coaching, this team might contend for a NCAA berth.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 09:16:57 PM »
We improved from 13-19 (4-14 in the Big East) to 20-13 (8-10).

Nobody's satisfied with a 7th place finish. But we improved by 4 games in the standings and finished just 2 games out of 4th place. That includes 2 OT losses (to Georgetown and Butler) and 4 conference losses by just 4 points or less.

To put it another way — while we weren't good enough to finish in the top half of the conference this year, we weren't that far off.

Whether or not Henry returns, I think a 10-8 Big East record is entirely realistic. Winning 2 more games is half the improvement we showed this year. That would put Marquette among the top 5 teams in the conference, in pretty good shape for an NCAA bid.

It's far too early to determine at our ceiling next season. Could we improve another 4 games to 12-6? It's possible. You need talent, but experience makes all the difference.

Going into the Big East tournament a year ago, Xavier was 19-12 (9-9). This year's team notched 5 more conference wins — with a core rotation that includes 2 juniors (Davis, Reynolds) and 2 seniors (Abell, Farr), along with sophomores Bluiett and Macura and freshman Sumner.

We'll have to see who returns and how they develop during the offseason.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 02:12:45 PM »

marcus92-loved both of your analyses.  very fair, thorough and you did it without pom-pons-nicely done! 
don't...don't don't don't don't