collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sport organizations you admire  (Read 13484 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Sport organizations you admire
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 05:09:18 PM »
Cardinals fans are the worst because they vocally and continuously refer to themselves as the best fans in baseball.

oh-oh, here we go-actually, i've heard from a few sources, the oakland raiders fans are not only the worst, but the most confrontational.  a kansas city chief fan/friend of mine said, not only do they not even think about traveling with the team(chiefs) on a road game to oakland, but they don't even go to the home games in kansas city when they are playing he raiders unless you've got a black belt in some form of martial arts with ya 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »
Yes, if only the media had completely ignored the continuous, repeated cheating by the Patriots, the franchise would be revered!

The Patriots are like Barry Bonds. What they accomplished on the field is highly impressive but anyone who thinks they reached those peaks "organically" is kidding themselves.

NFL teams get caught for cheating all the time, you usually just don't hear much of it because the media doesn't  make a huge deal out of minor things. For example just this week the Chiefs got busted for breaking rules in regards to acquiring Jeremy maclin. Also this season the Falcons got punished for illegally pumping crowd noise into the Georgia dome. The media didn't really cover these stories, nor should they have extensively.

But do you think the media would've just ignored these if it was the Pattiots? They would've been HUGE stories. Deflategate wasn't even a real thing and no rules were broken and it became arguably the biggest news story of my lifetime.

People say that the patriots get treated differently because of their "long history of cheating". What looooong history of cheating are people talking about? And before anyone mentions "spygate" please educate yourself on the issue. But what else? 

brandx

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 12:43:23 PM »

Deflategate wasn't even a real thing and no rules were broken and it became arguably the biggest news story of my lifetime.

You really said that??? I'm assuming you are at least 15 years old - so Deflategate was a bigger news story than 9/11?

That is an all-timer here on Scoop.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 12:45:42 PM »
NFL teams get caught for cheating all the time, you usually just don't hear much of it because the media doesn't  make a huge deal out of minor things. For example just this week the Chiefs got busted for breaking rules in regards to acquiring Jeremy maclin. Also this season the Falcons got punished for illegally pumping crowd noise into the Georgia dome. The media didn't really cover these stories, nor should they have extensively.

But do you think the media would've just ignored these if it was the Pattiots? They would've been HUGE stories. Deflategate wasn't even a real thing and no rules were broken and it became arguably the biggest news story of my lifetime.

People say that the patriots get treated differently because of their "long history of cheating". What looooong history of cheating are people talking about? And before anyone mentions "spygate" please educate yourself on the issue. But what else?

"Belichick issued a statement "to apologize to everyone who has been affected," and also stated that he spoke with Goodell about Belichick's "interpretation of the rule." Belichick stated that he believed that if footage so collected was not used during the game, its collection was legal, as the NFL Constitution and Bylaws stipulate that "...any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited...including without limitation...any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."[15] In a September 2006 memorandum sent out by NFL Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson, though, all teams were told that "videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.""

Yes Deflategate was an absurd circus, but it is contended it is in regards to the lack of response to Spygate.

Do not use Bill Simmons to "Educate yourself".

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »
You really said that??? I'm assuming you are at least 15 years old - so Deflategate was a bigger news story than 9/11?

That is an all-timer here on Scoop.

I knew this comment would get some laughs. Was 9/11 a bigger deal than "deflategate"? OBVIOUSLY. 9/11 was the biggest EVENT of my lifetime. But for how many days were the terrorist attacks the lead story in the national media? I'm not sure, maybe 2 weeks? Deflategate was a lead story for about 100 days, it was incredible. And it literally should never have been a story to begin with. You know what I'm sayin?

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
"Belichick issued a statement "to apologize to everyone who has been affected," and also stated that he spoke with Goodell about Belichick's "interpretation of the rule." Belichick stated that he believed that if footage so collected was not used during the game, its collection was legal, as the NFL Constitution and Bylaws stipulate that "...any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited...including without limitation...any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."[15] In a September 2006 memorandum sent out by NFL Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson, though, all teams were told that "videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.""

Yes Deflategate was an absurd circus, but it is contended it is in regards to the lack of response to Spygate.

Do not use Bill Simmons to "Educate yourself".

Yes spygate broke the rules. I'll acknowledge that. It was a infraction of the rules of similar proportions to the Chiefs and Falcons rules infractions. Not a huge deal, but we shouldn't have done it. Ok pay a fine and move on.

So where is this loooooong history of "repeated and continuous" cheating that you guys are talking about?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 02:09:48 PM »
I knew this comment would get some laughs. Was 9/11 a bigger deal than "deflategate"? OBVIOUSLY. 9/11 was the biggest EVENT of my lifetime. But for how many days were the terrorist attacks the lead story in the national media? I'm not sure, maybe 2 weeks? Deflategate was a lead story for about 100 days, it was incredible. And it literally should never have been a story to begin with. You know what I'm sayin?

Oh Jesus....  Not only was it the lead story for much longer than that, it defined how we viewed our worldview to this very day. 

Deflategate was nowhere near the "lead story for about 100 days" unless the only thing you watch is SportsCenter. 

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »

Oh Jesus....  Not only was it the lead story for much longer than that, it defined how we viewed our worldview to this very day. 

Deflategate was nowhere near the "lead story for about 100 days" unless the only thing you watch is SportsCenter.

We're all getting away from the point. What I'm trying to say is that deflategate was a huge media story and a way bigger story than it should have been. Why is that?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
We're all getting away from the point. What I'm trying to say is that deflategate was a huge media story and a way bigger story than it should have been. Why is that?

Easy.  Because Tom Brady is a schmoe and ragging on him = ratings (& advertising $$$).

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »

Quit while you're behind.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »
SF Giants right now. They're doing it the way the late 90s-early 00s Yankees did: with homegrown talent, good management, rarely if ever overreaching on players.
SS Marquette

reinko

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2016, 05:53:40 AM »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2016, 07:21:52 AM »
It's all about the leadership.  The 60's -80's Celtics were one of the best.  So were the Lakers of the 70's / 80's (as much as I hate them).   Now it's the Spurs.  Manchester United during the Sir Alex Ferguson years (but not now, how far they have fallen once the leadership left).  The Packers... who have transitioned nicely from Wolf to Ted Thompson - something that very rarely happens - and have recognized the importance of having an elite on the field leader and have done it well with Favre and then Rogers.  Again, hate to admit it, but Duke Basketball is also in this category. 

The longest dynasty with the most successful leadership transitions and the shortest "droughts" between titles?  New Zealand Rugby.   They are the sports organization I admire the most.  From their youth development programs to their 7's squad to their International 15 they consistently produce the best players and best organization in the world.   
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2016, 11:32:29 AM »
New York Yankees the gold standard of sports success: 27 World Championships, 40 Pennants, and 52 Playoff Appearances. Won 5 series in a row ( 1949- 1953) and came close to repeating wining 4 of 5 (1996-2000) which I think is more remarkable having to win division and league series as well. Since 1921 they have played in the post season more than half the time.

Perhaps the America's Cup sailing competition is comparable.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »

Whoa...I just read this for the first time.  Uhm, 9/11 was the biggest story for months if not years.  It is still a story talked about....please do not equate it to deflategate on any level.  First of all, deflategate was hardly that much of a mainstream story, it was mostly a sports story with some one off exceptions. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
Frankly, I am disappointed no one has mentioned the Harlem Globetrotters. Their cumulative W-L record is for the ages.

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2016, 04:22:18 PM »
Frankly, I am disappointed no one has mentioned the Harlem Globetrotters. Their cumulative W-L record is for the ages.

You must watch wresling.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
Yes spygate broke the rules. I'll acknowledge that. It was a infraction of the rules of similar proportions to the Chiefs and Falcons rules infractions. Not a huge deal, but we shouldn't have done it. Ok pay a fine and move on.

So where is this loooooong history of "repeated and continuous" cheating that you guys are talking about?

I'm not sure if you've read the following espn report on Spygate:  http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart
Comparing that to piping in a bit more crowd noise and a rule infraction around acquiring a player (this last one happens or is alleged to have happened it seems like once an offseason) is a bit much.

As far as a long history of "repeated and continuous cheating", this article suggests Spygate was going on for 7 years.  The "Deflategate" (which btw, I hate how we just add "gate" to the end of a word every time there is a controversy) just adds on to this. 

feedback