[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Play in the finals and we are in - Katz  (Read 10206 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Play in the finals and we are in - Katz
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »
Friendly wager that if we win tonight and lose tomorrow we make the NIT field? 6 pack of the winner's choice, perhaps?

I think we're focusing way too much on metrics. Check out the NIT projected brackets and look at the "also considered" page. Really not too much there.

Agreed. I'd get in on that wager.  I think MU is basically a lock for the NIT if they win tonight. That said, I won't lose much sleep if they have to go to Vegas instead.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2016, 11:34:38 AM »
If we win I am thinking that a team with the BE FOY and a marquee name would be something they would love to add to the NIT. I'm not always this positive , my friends, but when I am I think MU.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
If we win I am thinking that a team with the BE FOY and a marquee name would be something they would love to add to the NIT. I'm not always this positive , my friends, but when I am I think MU.

You're exactly right. Basketball remains a star driven sport. Anyone who thinks LSU is on the bubble is kidding themselves.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »
You're exactly right. Basketball remains a star driven sport. Anyone who thinks LSU is on the bubble is kidding themselves.

If they're kidding themselves it's because they think LSU has a shot at a berth. They're out barring 2/3 SEC tournament wins

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »

LSU is not dancing unless they go bonkers in the SEC tourney.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »
LSU is not dancing unless they go bonkers in the SEC tourney.

If LSU gets in, every member of the Selection Committee should be replaced. 18-13 with 6 losses to RPI 100+. Not a tourney team.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »
Yeah, but Simmons........

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2016, 01:45:07 PM »
Yeah, but Simmons........

versus Ellenson in the play-in game for the 11 seed.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »
Some of this talk about bad schedule vs. Win and losses is absolutely comical. Fact is, they just aren't very good. That's why they aren't going to the Tournamnet or on the bubble. from where I'm sitting, the chances of a loss tonight seem much higher than those of a win tomorrow.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2016, 03:01:14 PM »
Some of this talk about bad schedule vs. Win and losses is absolutely comical. Fact is, they just aren't very good. That's why they aren't going to the Tournamnet or on the bubble. from where I'm sitting, the chances of a loss tonight seem much higher than those of a win tomorrow.

Look, I don't think anyone here is saying MU is this great team that should be dancing. But from comments like this, it is also quite obvious that you don't watch much CBB and certainly don't f follow the bubble.  The bubble is weak - very, very, very weak - weaker than the last several years weak bubbles.  MUs resume is on par with other teams on the bubble in terms of good wins, bad losses.  Maybe one league win away from real discussion.  Whats killing MU is their computer numbers, which are driven down by terrible buy game opponents. 

No one is saying MU is this great team - they're just saying that the schedule gave them very little chance of dancing without going 11-7 or better in conference, which is a tall task for a young team. It was an embarrassing schedule for a high major team with hopes or turning their program back around to play.  Was there a reason for the weak schedule? Yes, that's been well established - but they overdid it a bit.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2016, 03:29:28 PM »
Look, I don't think anyone here is saying MU is this great team that should be dancing. But from comments like this, it is also quite obvious that you don't watch much CBB and certainly don't f follow the bubble.  The bubble is weak - very, very, very weak - weaker than the last several years weak bubbles.  MUs resume is on par with other teams on the bubble in terms of good wins, bad losses.  Maybe one league win away from real discussion.  Whats killing MU is their computer numbers, which are driven down by terrible buy game opponents. 

No one is saying MU is this great team - they're just saying that the schedule gave them very little chance of dancing without going 11-7 or better in conference, which is a tall task for a young team. It was an embarrassing schedule for a high major team with hopes or turning their program back around to play.  Was there a reason for the weak schedule? Yes, that's been well established - but they overdid it a bit.

But you're kind of making my point, the computer numbers don't make any difference because they just aren't very good. I won't argue the quality of the schedule was ridiculous and the corresponding numbers low, but who cares? The fact is, they didn't get that one more league win to really be in the discussion. Furthermore, the what if game just doesn't work. If you give MU that one more win, you have to do the same for every other team on or off the bubble, and MU remains out of the conversation.

I get that people want to believe this team is, or at least could have been pretty good. Their play on the court just doesn't support that. Trying to rationalize it away via SOS arguments just doesn't work. They're not good, they're not bad. They're just ok, nothing more.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
But you're kind of making my point, the computer numbers don't make any difference because they just aren't very good. I won't argue the quality of the schedule was ridiculous and the corresponding numbers low, but who cares? The fact is, they didn't get that one more league win to really be in the discussion. Furthermore, the what if game just doesn't work. If you give MU that one more win, you have to do the same for every other team on or off the bubble, and MU remains out of the conversation.

I get that people want to believe this team is, or at least could have been pretty good. Their play on the court just doesn't support that. Trying to rationalize it away via SOS arguments just doesn't work. They're not good, they're not bad. They're just ok, nothing more.

I don't disagree with most of your post, except the bolded part.  But whatever, its water under the bridge and I am sick of talking about it. 

feedback