Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Regular season thoughts  (Read 39003 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Regular season thoughts
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
For those suggesting that if MU doesn't significantly improve next year Wojo's seat will be very warm, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Wojo's seat is the furthest thing from any kind of warmth at all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2016, 02:23:09 PM »
Or what?

What will you do if you don't get the more obvious growth you need to see?

I'm sure UWM will appreciate having another fan, so enjoy.

I'm sorry but calling someone out for being disappointed is misguided.  The "or what" is that person will be dissatisfied. 

I think we all agree the year made sense with the variables involved but it was not anywhere near we expect to be as a program.  So next year we need to get closer to being a consistently successful profram.  Nothing wrong with that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »
For those suggesting that if MU doesn't significantly improve next year Wojo's seat will be very warm, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Wojo's seat is the furthest thing from any kind of warmth at all.

That is absolutely, 100%, ironclad correct. 

People are just making crap up to suggest otherwise.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »
Until the NCAA tournament is played will not know how tough the Big East was this year.

wat?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »

So, are you saying his seat is cold?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »
I'm sorry but calling someone out for being disappointed is misguided.  The "or what" is that person will be dissatisfied. 

I think we all agree the year made sense with the variables involved but it was not anywhere near we expect to be as a program.  So next year we need to get closer to being a consistently successful profram.  Nothing wrong with that.

He made a veiled threat. Actually, it wasn't even veiled. I want to know what he will do if the Warriors don't meet his specific standards by his specific deadline.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2016, 04:26:16 PM »
One word: Uninspiring.

We can get any home slice to come in here for a million bucks, recruit traditionals and lose.   We need Wojo to prove he's a winner soon. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
Do you believe that the Horizon league was the second best conference in America a few years ago....because Butler went to the final?   Do you believe the Colonial was one of the 4 best conferences in America because George Mason went to the Final Four?   Is an entire conference strength ignored by what happens for 5 months, and instead based solely on what happens for 1 hour and 30 minutes?

Big East is 14-14 against top 50 BPI teams.   THE BEST IN AMERICA

Big East is 31-19 against power conference teams, 2nd best in America only trailing the Big 12.

We'll see how the conference does in the tournament, but the conference has been quite good this year.
I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

1SE

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2016, 04:58:45 PM »
That is absolutely, 100%, ironclad correct. 

People are just making crap up to suggest otherwise.

I just don't buy this.  We miss post season again next year and ticket numbers start to plummet I think his seat will get very warm very fast.  To suggest otherwise is to completely misunderstand the economics of MUBB.  But hopefully well never see who is right.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2016, 05:07:53 PM »
They performed very close to what I was expecting; significant improvement from last year, with some very uneven performances that can be attributed to youth.

I predicted 18-13 before the season started, and they slightly exceeded that based on Henry being even better than advertised and performing well in close games, particularly in the tournament in NY.

I also said at the time that even if Henry was a one and done they'd be better next year simply by virtue of maturing. So in the Far Too Early to Guess category, I am guessing 20-21 wins next year.  I haven't seen one second of Hauser or Rowsey play and of course I have no idea who else Wojo might be able to bring in for next year yet, but I think they will make a small improvement in the W-L record.  I am assuming a somewhat tougher non-con schedule and a somewhat weaker BE due to a lot of departing talent.  We will more likely than not perform at a more median level in close games, i.e., regress to the mean, but I think the biggest improvement will be the continued growth we've seen from Traci paired with having an actual 2nd point guard on the roster rather than asking out SG's to fill in at point.

Of course in the unlikely event HE stays I think we are looking at 23-24 wins.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2016, 05:20:01 PM »
What's really sad is, people are now happy with showing an improvement from winning 4 BE games to 8 BE games. It's rather pathetic that a program that won a BE title, made the NCAA's 7 years straight, had two sweet 16's, consistently ranked in the top 25, just 3 years later and the fans are now happy with 8 BE wins, and a possible NIT berth because it's "better than last year"?? Wow...some of you just don't get it, at all. This program was on the cusp of being elite in the old BE, a few years later and fans are happy they won 8 conference games?? Okay, so what...Wojo lost a lot of recruits, lots of programs do every year...Duke does, Kentucky does etc etc. They don't rebuild, they reload. I can understand a year missing the NCAA's after such a big change, but going on year 3 now?? How does a program that close to being elite, fall so far so fast??

Again...I will keep asking until someone answers me, because I want all of you to understand the reality of the situation...has any team in America, that's a major program fallen so far, so fast in a few years like MU has?? Find me one please...You can't. has any school been more affected(in a bad way) by the conference switch than MU has?? Not a single one...It's been great for Butler and creighton who moved up(Xavier too) and maybe Providence...but Not one single school in this conference has fallen so far in such a short period of time as MU has.

It wasn't that long ago, where winning at the BC was not only frequent, it was expected. They rarely lost at home, to anyone. Now, opposing teams walk in and it's basically a win before the game is even played...the building is empty, students don't show up etc. Sure all of think the move was great(even if it was all they could do), and yet fail to realize the affects this has had on the program in a bad way. The signs are obvious...MU will likely never come as close to being an elite program again, due to many factors, but who would have thought, they'd be slightly above the Dean years now??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2016, 05:26:14 PM »
What's really sad is, people are now happy with showing an improvement from winning 4 BE games to 8 BE games. It's rather pathetic that a program that won a BE title, made the NCAA's 7 years straight, had two sweet 16's, consistently ranked in the top 25, just 3 years later and the fans are now happy with 8 BE wins, and a possible NIT berth because it's "better than last year"?? Wow...some of you just don't get it, at all. This program was on the cusp of being elite in the old BE, a few years later and fans are happy they won 8 conference games?? Okay, so what...Wojo lost a lot of recruits, lots of programs do every year...Duke does, Kentucky does etc etc. They don't rebuild, they reload. I can understand a year missing the NCAA's after such a big change, but going on year 3 now?? How does a program that close to being elite, fall so far so fast??

Again...I will keep asking until someone answers me, because I want all of you to understand the reality of the situation...has any team in America, that's a major program fallen so far, so fast in a few years like MU has?? Find me one please...You can't. has any school been more affected(in a bad way) by the conference switch than MU has?? Not a single one...It's been great for Butler and creighton who moved up(Xavier too) and maybe Providence...but Not one single school in this conference has fallen so far in such a short period of time as MU has.

It wasn't that long ago, where winning at the BC was not only frequent, it was expected. They rarely lost at home, to anyone. Now, opposing teams walk in and it's basically a win before the game is even played...the building is empty, students don't show up etc. Sure all of think the move was great(even if it was all they could do), and yet fail to realize the affects this has had on the program in a bad way. The signs are obvious...MU will likely never come as close to being an elite program again, due to many factors, but who would have thought, they'd be slightly above the Dean years now??

Are you being serious?  Based on your post, you aren't.  Does your internet not work for you to answer some of your questions?  Your hyperbole really hurts your credibility as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2016, 05:31:24 PM »

That coach left.   There is a ground up rebuild.    I am not convinced that Wojo is the man for it, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.    I rate this season based on what it is, not what I wish it was.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »

No one answers you because all you do is rant.  No suggestions.  No solutions.  Just more ranting.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
That coach left.   There is a ground up rebuild.    I am not convinced that Wojo is the man for it, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.    I rate this season based on what it is, not what I wish it was.

This

brandx

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2016, 05:35:12 PM »

Exactly. He has had one recruiting class play for him so far.

There will  be no hot seat next year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2016, 05:39:12 PM »
As for MU being affected by the conference re-alignment, I have one simple question.    Where was there a better deal?    Football was driving that bus (off a cliff).   Marquette and it C-7 compatriots saw the writing on the wall, stuck together, brought in some like-minded institutions and did the absolute best deal they could have done under the circumstances.     Yes, when the Big East had Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UConn etc. it was a better basketball conference.    That ship had sailed.    The current iteration of the Big East is very good.   Period.   And MU could not have done better.  The one thing I will actually praise Larry for.    Whining about it is so weak.   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:41:58 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

muguru

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2016, 05:54:01 PM »
I don't get why no one seems concerned that three years in to this new BE and MU hasn't even come close to winning it. Given where they were as a program before the switch, it was reasonable to assume they would run through this conference Memphis style in the old CUSA. I mean why shouldn't they have?? If this program was a "flash in the pan" where it had a couple of good years, and make an Elite 8 run etc, and then fell...okay you'd understand that. But given where they were...how does that happen and happen so fast?? MU isn't the only school to have lost a coach, and lost a recruiting class, but they might be the only one's who were ever THIS close to being an elite program and falling so fast so quickly. The way you overcome losing a recruiting class(es), is by player improvement/development. Who besides JJ really improved from last year to this year?? Duane certainly hasn't...Sandy hasn't..Luke hasn't. Player development/improvement rests in the Head Coach's lap...Buzz's players almost ALWAYS made noticeable improvement from one year to the next. Why haven't Wojo's?? Is it the way he runs the program?? is it the assistants aren't good teachers?? Something is amiss.

Look, I was stung badly by losing Shaka...he would have taken this program to even higher levels...And when I heard it was Wojo, I thought it was an interesting move(even if it did have the feel of MU thinking small time after Shaka's shun), you certainly knew he'd recruit well...and he has...but you also think okay the guy has been Coach K's right hand man for all these years, he must be able to Coach too, right?? Honestly, has he demonstrated he's a good Coach?? I don't see how anyone can say that he has. It's not like the cupboard is exactly bare with talent either...is it loaded?? no, but it's far from empty...this team on a pure talent basis, IS/WAS good enough that they should have been real close to being in the NCAA's right now, if not pretty much assured a bid. So what happened?? Don't even go there with the youth argument...the talent is good enough...so where's the problem??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2016, 05:58:56 PM »

That's cute...comparing us to Duke and Kentucky.  Super cute.  You seem to forget in that 3 year run, we were one of the last teams in the NCAAs one of those years, with a RPI of 63.  We got bailed out by Davidson pissing down their leg.  We easily could have not made it and lost in the first round.  A few sweet 16's and an Elite 8 doesn't put you at the cusp of being elite, no matter how much you want to make it so.  Is Butler elite?  They made back to back championships.   End of argument.

I'm sorry, but I just have to call this what it is....STUPID.   Where would you have MU playing right now?  The Big Ten?  Hey, how about the NBA central division?  MU is in the best, hands down, bar none, basketball only conference in the country and it isn't even debatable.  Has it been great for Butler?  They were virtually automatic to the NCAAs when they played in the Horizon, and got to back to back title games.  Now they have a war on their hands every year to get in.  It just so happens that MU transitioned into the conference the same time our old coach decided to go on vacation for a year and crapped the bed the entire season long.  Then he left, then a new coach came in, with recruits lost, and many vacancies which means massive transition.  Do you think if Buzz didn't turd the covers and did a better job of putting the right pieces together we would be in this shape?  No.  But that's the deal, and so a step back happened.  The timing sucked, but that's all it is...timing.

Again, with youth comes results that are inconsistent.  That's the nature of the beast.  The building isn't empty, nice hyperbole.  It needs to get better, no doubt, but stop with the dramatics.  Again, what would you like MU to do?  Who's Dean?  Jimmy Dean?  You don't think MU understands the situation they are in?  Give me a break, of course they do.  That's why they aren't pissing their pants like you are and are committed to not panic moves, but will play the long game here.  Guess what, you aren't going to like it and there are others on this board that won't either.  TOO BAD.  That's the deal, that's really the only choice they have.  We have a young, fiery coach, learning on the job, solid recruiter, well spoken, good ambassador for this university.  We're improving under him and as long as we continue to do so, we'll be fine, but it will take longer than you have the patience for, I guarantee it.  I suggest you take some time off, because you're just going to be bitter and angry for awhile.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2016, 06:00:56 PM »
I don't get why no one seems concerned that three years in to this new BE and MU hasn't even come close to winning it. Given where they were as a program before the switch, it was reasonable to assume they would run through this conference Memphis style in the old CUSA. I mean why shouldn't they have?? If this program was a "flash in the pan" where it had a couple of good years, and make an Elite 8 run etc, and then fell...okay you'd understand that. But given where they were...how does that happen and happen so fast?? MU isn't the only school to have lost a coach, and lost a recruiting class, but they might be the only one's who were ever THIS close to being an elite program and falling so fast so quickly. The way you overcome losing a recruiting class(es), is by player improvement/development. Who besides JJ really improved from last year to this year?? Duane certainly hasn't...Sandy hasn't..Luke hasn't. Player development/improvement rests in the Head Coach's lap...Buzz's players almost ALWAYS made noticeable improvement from one year to the next. Why haven't Wojo's?? Is it the way he runs the program?? is it the assistants aren't good teachers?? Something is amiss.

Look, I was stung badly by losing Shaka...he would have taken this program to even higher levels...And when I heard it was Wojo, I thought it was an interesting move(even if it did have the feel of MU thinking small time after Shaka's shun), you certainly knew he'd recruit well...and he has...but you also think okay the guy has been Coach K's right hand man for all these years, he must be able to Coach too, right?? Honestly, has he demonstrated he's a good Coach?? I don't see how anyone can say that he has. It's not like the cupboard is exactly bare with talent either...is it loaded?? no, but it's far from empty...this team on a pure talent basis, IS/WAS good enough that they should have been real close to being in the NCAA's right now, if not pretty much assured a bid. So what happened?? Don't even go there with the youth argument...the talent is good enough...so where's the problem??

If you can't see that inexperience is a legitimate issue, I don't know what to say.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »
Youth.   Lack of size beyond Henry and Luke.   Lack of width.  Second year coach.
Take 'Marquette' off the jersey.     Now imagine a generic team with the following set up.   4 players back from a 13 win team.  Only two of them starters.  The one upperclass incoming transfer never played in two years at his prior school.  No seniors.  10 scholarship players.   Only 3 taller than 6'6.    Virtually all PG minutes played by freshman, one of whom never played PG in high school.  No deadeye 3 pt shooters.     In a conference featuring 3 different teams that have been in the top 10 this season, one of whom was #1.     A second year head coach surrounded by no head coaching experience.   Best player is a freshman.   Arguably the second best player is a freshman (some debate, I grant you).    With an increasingly apathetic student body and fanbase that doesn't turn out and support its team through thick and thin, so with a diminishing home court advantage. 

What should the record of that generic team be?

The aforementioned reasons were why I predicted a 14 win season.   Henry, Haanif, and Traci were all better than I expected.    That is what is, not what I wish was. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:06:21 PM by tower912 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2016, 06:07:08 PM »

Davante...did he make a big leap his last year?  How about Jamil Wilson his senior year....was he improving leaps and bounds?  Dominic James went backward his senior year.  Most of "Wojo's" players are in their first year...or aren't you paying attention.  His first year, those weren't his players....so maybe you can wait a few minutes and see how they develop.  We know two of Wojo's first year players made All Big East freshmen team. 

Stop with the nonsense that we were close to an elite program.  Just dumb.  We were a very good program, but elite isn't close.  Elite isn't winning the conference one time in 15 years...sorry, you don't get to make up definitions. 

You want to know what hurt more than anything?  A kid that got horrible advice to go pro when he shouldn't have.  That started a lot of bad stuff, including Buzz taking the year off.  Vander plays, we go to the NCAAs, Vander gets drafted, Buzz may or may not leave, but MU is in better shape.

So you are stung....at least MU went for broke, but it didn't happen.  This team doesn't have the RIGHT talent, and that's the key.  We have been inadequate at point guard for the last few years....college basketball is a guard's game first and foremost.  If you can't figure out the massive problems we've had at point guard the last three years, then you are blind, that included Buzz's last year and even the years prior.  Buzz wasn't great at developing point guards or in landing solid ones, and that has hurt us.  Hopefully the guys we have on the roster now can do it, but we need to land another one this year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »
Exactly. He has had one recruiting class play for him so far.

There will  be no hot seat next year.

This...or almost this.  Wojo's actually has had two recruiting classes.  The first one was Sandy (who reupped), Carlino and Levin (who transferred in October). Shayok, Pierce, and Hill got releases and went elsewhere but we had to play that drama out. Meanwhile, there was wasted time and space with the inevitable: Mayo cut, Burton, Dawson, and Taylor transferring. Noskowiak and his issues and wasted recruiting time although MU got Traci late.

That put Wojo back a year or two with nothing of substance to show for that lost time.  May be Wojo's biggest mistake whereas Crean and Buzz got right at it in their new jobs. Getting their recruits in.  The administration was fine with that approach. Fans aren't.  One is patient, and one irrational.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2016, 07:50:15 PM »
Dominic James went backward his senior year. 

Off topic, but I disagree with this.  Dom went backward his SO and JR seasons perhaps, but his SR season he realized he didn't have to try to be the lead scorer and focused on being a PG and an absolute beast of a defender on the perimeter.  The #8 MU team was beating #2 UConn when he went down and effectively ended their run.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »

You are historically stupid.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback