Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Georgetown thoughts  (Read 20378 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Georgetown thoughts
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2016, 10:24:44 AM »
Plenty of that going on during the Nova game as evidenced by the poor young girl that was comatose in the hallway outside my section and taken off on a stretcher....

And in the it's funny, but it's not funny comment section I actually heard a mother say to her college age daughter (as the passed out girl is getting wheeled out) "That's why you stick to beer"

Interesting take on that.  My Senior son will have a beer or two before or during the game.  In his mind paying attention and getting into the game trumps being too toasty.  Back in the day my daughter pre-gamed more but never to the point she wasn't 'fine'.  Nowadays, she enjoys her free beer Coors Light section.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2016, 10:32:10 AM »
Interesting take on that.  My Senior son will have a beer or two before or during the game.  In his mind paying attention and getting into the game trumps being too toasty.  Back in the day my daughter pre-gamed more but never to the point she wasn't 'fine'.  Nowadays, she enjoys her free beer Coors Light section.

Let the kids enjoy college!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2016, 10:32:30 AM »
I understand, and generally, I agree. New arena should provide somewhat of a bump as well (temporary at least). However, they've been irrelevant for 3 years now, and as the season ticket base erodes, I don't necessarily see it coming back. Fact is, people don't want to give up their rare free time to go sit in a boring, half empty arena. To the earlier point, on paper, last night was a good game. Competitive, Quality, name opponent, and it was an exciting game. Yet people didn't show up. I guess my point is, if MU is sitting there saying, all we have to do is win, I think they're mistaken. It'll help, but their approach is going to have to change.

Many fans looked at the game and likely figured that it was a cold, snowy, mid-week 8 p.m. game between a couple of mediocre teams, on a Senior Night when a two-year walk-on was the only player being honored (no offense intended to Mr. Mache) and decided that it wasn't worth attending.

Many of us on here looked at the game and likely figured that MU is playing so we're going.

It's a different mindset. Winning will cure some of that but I really do think that the loss of big name schools has hurt attendance more than MU believed it would. The casual basketball fan in Milwaukee is more likely to come watch MU play unranked UConn/Louisville/Syracuse than to come see MU play #5 Xavier.

I was actually surprised to see National Marquette Day scheduled for the Villanova game. Nova was a top 10 preseason team and likely going to be a big draw regardless so why double down? MU had Saturday home games against Xavier, Butler and Creighton to choose from. Wouldn't having NMD on one of those dates brought in a bigger crowd for that game while not having much of an effect on the Nova game?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2016, 10:47:02 AM »
Let the kids enjoy college!

Don't think I was passing judgement.  Just what my kids preferred.  My younger was actually miffed at many of his friends who chose not to attend last night.  I'd say he got the best of the deal with a clear headed memory of two clutch free throws to finish off his 4 years on campus.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »
Don't think I was passing judgement.  Just what my kids preferred.  My younger was actually miffed at many of his friends who chose not to attend last night.  I'd say he got the best of the deal with a clear headed memory of two clutch free throws to finish off his 4 years on campus.

I was moreso referring you you knowing about your kids pregame drinking habits.  One of the best things about going to school 600 miles from where I grew up - mom and dad weren't in my hair.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
One of the best things about going to school 600 miles from where I grew up - mom and dad weren't in my hair.

That was then.  Now, it's one of the worst things.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
I was actually surprised to see National Marquette Day scheduled for the Villanova game. Nova was a top 10 preseason team and likely going to be a big draw regardless so why double down? MU had Saturday home games against Xavier, Butler and Creighton to choose from. Wouldn't having NMD on one of those dates brought in a bigger crowd for that game while not having much of an effect on the Nova game?

There's a reason Howard, Herro, and the Hausers were invited to that game. They doubled down to guarentee a raucous environment to impress their top recruits.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »
I was moreso referring you you knowing about your kids pregame drinking habits.  One of the best things about going to school 600 miles from where I grew up - mom and dad weren't in my hair.

Don't assume that glow and chick are in their kid's hair.  Some of the things my kids in their early 20s share with me these days are nothing like I would have ever considered sharing with my parents.  I think those relationships are a lot less "formal," much more open, and undoubtedly driven by technology.

I have said that having an open, communicative relationship with your children is a good thing.  When it goes too far, that is when the helicopter parenting raises its ugly head.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »

Don't assume that glow and chick are in their kid's hair.  Some of the things my kids in their early 20s share with me these days are nothing like I would have ever considered sharing with my parents.  I think those relationships are a lot less "formal," much more open, and undoubtedly driven by technology.

I have said that having an open, communicative relationship with your children is a good thing.  When it goes too far, that is when the helicopter parenting raises its ugly head.

Right on. 

That being said, I will acknowledge that the thought of Mom and Dad wanting to meet up at halftime may affect the pregaming somewhat.
Have some patience, FFS.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »

I mean, I'm not really assuming.  I am also in my mid-20s, and I have seen helicopter parenting at its finest. Not from my parents (thank god), but I went to a private catholic high school where a good portion of parents were pros. 

I just think the college experience is much better without mom and dad around.  I can say with certainty that if my non-helicopter or strict parents were attending the same college basketball games as I was when I was 18-21, I would have acted differently before and during, and they're a pretty understanding and relaxed couple.  So...it does make a difference.

Anyways, tangent complete.  Back to basketball..parent as you wish.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2016, 11:27:55 AM »
For my dad's birthday, I got him a ticket in the student section for the ND/F'in David Rivers game.  I traded with a couple of people and got to sit next to him.   I was legal to drink and we drank beers together and watched a heck of a game with a nightmare ending.    He still says it was one of his favorite birthday presents ever. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2016, 11:31:27 AM »

Thanks Sultan.  I'm pretty confident that they're doing exactly what they want.  There's no 'checking up on them' about it.  More that my son gets a free craft beer at halftime just by hanging with the rents for 10 minutes.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »
I thought this was a hilarious pun at first and not a serious question.

Damnit, I thought the same thing...you ruined it for me.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2016, 11:55:44 AM »
My comments

I was afraid some team was going to wise up and press us from the start, but we handled it great and did what we were supposed to do, which is attack and make them pay for pressing.  We were so successful that Georgetown had to give it up.

We had started to flounder before HE got hurt, as when Georgetown made its run we started settling for jump shots with plenty of time on the clock.  At one point during a timeout they showed Wojo imploring them to work the ball inside and on the next possession JJJ fired up a 3 with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock.   Our strength on offense is quickness and slashing, and we have to always, always remember that.  The jump shot lulls are getting less and less frequent.  That's good coaching.

Despite that short stretch, that was the best ball movement I've seen from us in a long time.  Carter looked great orchestrating things.  I love an aggressive, attacking PG.

As good as our offense was, are defense was nearly as bad.  Moving Cheatham to Copeland probably saved the game (of course you could argue that had we done it sooner we might have had a little cushion at the end).  At any rate, Copeland looked all-world yesterday.  They have some great pieces but are pretty porous defensively.  Cheatham needs to take 10,000 stop and pop mid-range jumpers this summer.  Once he adds that to his repertoire, the sky is the limit for him.

Hardly any Sandy, and unfortunately that appears to be for the best.  He doesn't seem to be able to play at the same speed as the rest of our regular rotation.  We will need him at some point so I hope he stays involved and ready.

JJJ shot only one 3 last night. It was a wide open first half airball.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
JJJ shot only one 3 last night. It was a wide open first half airball.

IIRC, that was one of 3 straight airballs from that corner for MU.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »
For my dad's birthday, I got him a ticket in the student section for the ND/F'in David Rivers game.  I traded with a couple of people and got to sit next to him.   I was legal to drink and we drank beers together and watched a heck of a game with a nightmare ending.    He still says it was one of his favorite birthday presents ever.

I graduated in 2010 and one of my best friend's parents went to probably around 10 or so games with us in the Student Section and were always a blast.  Since graduation, several of my other friends have been married, and the other friend's parents have been invited to the weddings.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »

In the second half, Gtown guards were sagging down on Luke the entire time.  That is why Carter had a couple wide open looks, a couple of which he sank.  JT3 made an adjustment.

And after that adjustment was made, MU started running their guards off of pick and rolls at the top of the key to get penetration.  That is an adjustment Wojo made.  Six weeks ago this team would have handled the double down on Luke by simply hoisting shots.  They didn't do that yesterday.  They attacked most of the time.

This team is improving.  Wojo has done a nice job.  To say he didn't make adjustments is wrong.

Yes, but they were basic adjustments.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »

It's just a matter of winning.  People will show up when the team wins more.  Hell they had a sell out on Saturday.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »
I understand, and generally, I agree. New arena should provide somewhat of a bump as well (temporary at least). However, they've been irrelevant for 3 years now, and as the season ticket base erodes, I don't necessarily see it coming back. Fact is, people don't want to give up their rare free time to go sit in a boring, half empty arena. To the earlier point, on paper, last night was a good game. Competitive, Quality, name opponent, and it was an exciting game. Yet people didn't show up. I guess my point is, if MU is sitting there saying, all we have to do is win, I think they're mistaken. It'll help, but their approach is going to have to change.

The New Big East start times have been a big issue

In the east coast people are used to staying out on a weekday for an 8 pm game.  But in the midwest that is just not part of our culture.   We are used to 7 pm or 6pm start times.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2016, 12:23:05 PM »
Paid attendance was just under 13,000. To Naivin's point, in past years that game probably draws 15-16,000.

Next year is huge. Have to get some momentum back.

Does it though?  A Tuesday night at 8 PM against a 14-15 overall and 7-9 Big East team draws 15-16K?  I really don't think it would've, and if it would've it only would've because student ticket sales were higher those years but it still would've been nearly as empty in the student section.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2016, 12:29:18 PM »
Yes, but they were basic adjustments.

Bilsu would be happy to know that "easy rebound" is a running joke between my friends and I right now.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2016, 12:30:27 PM »
The New Big East start times have been a big issue

In the east coast people are used to staying out on a weekday for an 8 pm game.  But in the midwest that is just not part of our culture.   We are used to 7 pm or 6pm start times.

It's not the Midwest, it's the Central Time Zone... and it's not cultural, it's because of TV programming.  It wasn't until after college when I started travelling for work that I realized, aside from live events, everything on network TV is tape-delayed out west; e.g. everyone else in the country watches their local news at 11:00p, except Central where it's always 10:00p.  So if you go to bed after watching the news every night, you're actually going to bed one hour earlier in CTZ relative to the rest of the country.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2016, 12:50:07 PM »
My Georgetown thoughts are "what's going on over there? " They can't be too happy with JTIII

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »
There's a reason Howard, Herro, and the Hausers were invited to that game. They doubled down to guarentee a raucous environment to impress their top recruits.

Did MU double down so that they could impress their top recruits on NMD or did Wojo invite the top recruits to that game because they had already doubled down?

Hmm...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2016, 01:26:50 PM »

Unlike most of you from the sounds of it, the way your son approaches the game is how I handled my basketball viewing while I was at MU.  One or two before the game and saved the serious drinking for after the game on weekends and maybe not all when there were classes school was the next day, depending on my mood.  There were plenty of opportunities to hoist a few at MU, but I liked to pay attention to the game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback