collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Stephen Curry is Insane  (Read 9053 times)

GGGG

• All American
Stephen Curry is Insane
« on: February 28, 2016, 06:39:48 AM »
Anybody else see the end of that Warriors / Thunder game last night?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Stephen Curry is Insane
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
Wasn't watching, but saw the highlights.

He is playing at another level right now.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
That was one of the best NBA games I have ever seen.  Durant was also insane, too bad he fouled out.

Watched a lot of hops in my day and I always thought Otis Birdsong, yes Otis Birdsong, was the best shooter I have ever seen.  Until Curry this year.  He is just unconscious and is so quick with his release.  Like they are saying, Curry is like a video game.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:36:40 AM »
That was one of the best NBA games I have ever seen.  Durant was also insane, too bad he fouled out.

Watched a lot of hops in my day and I always thought Otis Birdsong, yes Otis Birdsong, was the best shooter I have ever seen.  Until Curry this year.  He is just unconscious and is so quick with his release.  Like they are saying, Curry is like a video game.

Birdsong was a great shooter.  Looked him up and realized he was picked 2nd in the '77 draft...right behind Kent Benson by the Bucks.  I suspect the Bucks would take a mulligan on that one...

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »
What amazes me is,  besides his incredible shooting, how good of a passer he is as well.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
Just saw the highlights ... unbelievable

He tied the NBA record with 12 threes.

That last three to win the game was stupid shot for anyone else on the planet.  For Curry it was probably a designed play.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »

That last three to win the game was stupid shot for anyone else on the planet.  For Curry it was probably a designed play.

Just saw a highlight of his week. In three separate games, Curry hit 30+ foot shots. The 32-foot winner last night was the shortest of the three.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »

His season this year compares favorably to MJ's best year.

Really looking forward to the West Finals this year. Spurs are quietly putting up a 50-9 season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
My son and I were watching last night. Un-freakin-believable.

Some of the shots he made were beyond ridiculous and insane, and the game-winner was stupid.

As a 50-something, I often chuckle at those who think today's whatever (quarterback, hitter, musician, etc) is the "best ever" because lack proper historical perspective.

But Curry absolutely is the best shooter I have ever seen. And frankly, I'm not sure it's even close between him and the next guy. (Allen? Bird? Reggie? Kerr?)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 05:49:26 PM »

Some of the shots he made were beyond ridiculous and insane, and the game-winner was stupid.

As a 50-something, I often chuckle at those who think today's whatever (quarterback, hitter, musician, etc) is the "best ever" because lack proper historical perspective.

But Curry absolutely is the best shooter I have ever seen. And frankly, I'm not sure it's even close between him and the next guy. (Allen? Bird? Reggie? Kerr?)

Mike - that was only his second best game of the week. Check out his stats from the previous game.

Last night he had 46 on 10-24 from the field; 3 reb. and 6 assists

Thursday he had 51 on 20-27 from the field; 7 reb. and 8 assists

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 06:53:10 PM »

all good ones.  curry is sick.  his dad, dell was tough.  remember a few more back in the day(as a small lad of course) john havlicek, rick barry, larry bird...
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 07:05:10 PM »
I have watched a lot of ball over the years and he is the greatest shooter I have ever seen by a wide margin. Over the past month I have made a point to watch as much Warrior action as possible because it is once in a lifetime season/team.

Very difficult to find faults in Curry as a person and the Warriors as a whole. I am going to enjoy the run

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »
Sometimes when I watch him it makes me think I'm watching a basketball version of Angels in the Outfield.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »
I have watched a lot of ball over the years and he is the greatest shooter I have ever seen by a wide margin. Over the past month I have made a point to watch as much Warrior action as possible because it is once in a lifetime season/team.

Very difficult to find faults in Curry as a person and the Warriors as a whole. I am going to enjoy the run

I totally agree, Goose.

The Warriors are the only sports right now that is "must-see TV." An incredible reality show.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »
Curry is right.  All the former players who are trying to trash the Warriors is getting annoying.  I love that the Warriors won the NBA Title...and came into this season pissed off because some teams with a bunch of whack jobs on it (Clippers, I'm looking at you) said they were lucky because they avoided the Spurs and the Clippers.  Great responses by the Warriors players in saying they were hoping they got the chance to knock off those teams, but those teams never made it to the Warriors.  Now you have old timers saying Curry's not good for the game and wouldn't be able to do what he's doing in the old days.  I'm glad it's lighting a fire under their ass.  Not a fan of Draymond or really Klay, but everyone else on that team is awesome and they're very fun to watch.

Also glad to see all the some current NBA greats calling out those old timers.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/instantawesome-curryreaction-160227/nba-players-awe-curry-huge-night

Not sure why we always have to be talking about different eras.  Appreciate greatness.  The Warriors are great.  Curry is great.

And Durant is great, too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:27:01 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 10:25:42 PM »
PS Keep in mind that Curry tweeked his ankle pretty good in the 3rd quarter last night.

I believe in his last 4 games his low point total is 36 points and his low shooting % is 48% and 45% from 3.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 10:33:42 PM »

100% agree. He takes and routinely makes shots that would be low percentage prayers for anyone else who has ever played the game. People who claim to love basketball but won't watch the NBA don't know what they're missing.

brandx

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 11:35:19 PM »
Not a fan of Draymond or really Klay, but everyone else on that team is awesome and they're very fun to watch.

Love those 2 guys.

Best 2 guard and 2nd best PF in the league.

Replace Kevin Love with Draymond and Cleveland would have a chance at the title.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »
I just can't imagine why anybody would have any problem recognizing and appreciating what Curry is doing right now.  He's amazing and I think seems like a really likable guy.

On the radio this morning, they mentioned that in the past week, Curry has made more three pointers (33) than Michael Jordan made in 11 of his 15 seasons.  That's pretty crazy.

I realize, of course, Michael wasn't a three point gunner, and I'm not suggesting Curry is better than Jordan.  That was just a cool stat that helped illustrate how incredibly well Curry is playing right now.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »
Just looking at the stats, the average NBA team takes 10 more 3 point shots per game than in Jordan's last year with the Bulls, and makes them at the same clip.

The game is very different now.  It has become an outside / in game versus the opposite. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 09:22:42 AM »
The crazy thing about Steph is how clutch he is and first player in a while that will stop people in their tracks. We had a bunch of people over at our house for a casual get together. We were sitting around, having beers, playing cards against humanity with the game on in the background. The last minute of regulation and OT everyone stopped what they were doing to watch, regardless of interest or gender. The shot in OT to win....we knew it was going in before it even left his hand, whos the last player who we could say that about?

Crazy stat I saw on twitter but can't find now: Steph has like 600 3pt buckets made since 2014....Bird has 659 in his career. If that alone doesn't say Steph is the greatest shooter ever, I don't know what does.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 09:47:38 AM »
Crazy stat I saw on twitter but can't find now: Steph has like 600 3pt buckets made since 2014....Bird has 659 in his career. If that alone doesn't say Steph is the greatest shooter ever, I don't know what does.

It is crazy -- even if, like Sultan said, a big part of it is because the game has changed.  But still...he's been amazing.

And you're correct that Bird had 659 career threes.  Curry has had 574 in the past two seasons, and he's still got another 24 games to play this season.  If you add in the 2013-14 season, he's got 835.

If he averages a hair over 3.5/game the rest of the season (he has been averaging 5+/game), he'll have more in this two season span than Bird had in his career.

All that said, he's young and is going to have to keep playing at a high level for a number of years to equal Ray Allen.  But it's fun watching him while he's at the top of his game.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »
It is crazy -- even if, like Sultan said, a big part of it is because the game has changed.  But still...he's been amazing.

I don't understand this qualification that people throw out there. It makes sense if you are talking about someone like Draymon Green or even why Steve Novak got a contract for 10 years. However, what Steph is able to do is transferable to any basketball era. He is deadly because he doesn't require the space that others do now to create his shot. Steph Curry would score and shoot at this rate regardless of the era, his skill set is that unique.

I think this is one of the times where the "back in my day folks" are just wrong and are looking to protect their legacy.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »
I don't understand this qualification that people throw out there. It makes sense if you are talking about someone like Draymon Green or even why Steve Novak got a contract for 10 years. However, what Steph is able to do is transferable to any basketball era. He is deadly because he doesn't require the space that others do now to create his shot. Steph Curry would score and shoot at this rate regardless of the era, his skill set is that unique.

I think this is one of the times where the "back in my day folks" are just wrong and are looking to protect their legacy.

One of the amazing things (another one) is that, time-wise, his highest shooting percentage from 3 is when there are 0-4 seconds left on the clock. Almost 60%!!

That is normally a time when a team is scrambling and a lot of bad shots are thrown at the basket. This guy has no "bad" shots.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 10:17:33 AM »
One of the amazing things (another one) is that, time-wise, his highest shooting percentage from 3 is when there are 0-4 seconds left on the clock. Almost 60%!!

That is normally a time when a team is scrambling and a lot of bad shots are thrown at the basket. This guy has no "bad" shots.

+1