Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Just 1 game out of 4th place  (Read 9804 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Just 1 game out of 4th place
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:36:58 PM »
The odds are hugely stacked against us beating Nova, let alone winning out the remaining conference schedule.

But after tonight we're one game closer. We've improved in the second game against virtually every conference opponent. Anything is possible.

Wouldn't miss Saturday at 4th & State for anything.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
Re: Just 1 game out of 4th place
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:40:19 PM »
and if we would have beat DePaul at home....

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:44:42 PM »

And Creighton at home. Really easy to play that game as we've won some close ones as well but those two are really going to haunt us.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »
Even with all that, we still have a shot to finish the regular season in the top half of the Big East. Maybe, just maybe, this team is pulling together at the right time.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:00:33 PM »
I just want to get out of the 1 day of the BE tournament.  If we beat GT and Butler its likely we achieve that even with a loss to Nova.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:07:07 PM »
I just want to get out of the 1 day of the BE tournament.  If we beat GT and Butler its likely we achieve that even with a loss to Nova.

We match up really well with butler. Don't know about GTown. We haven't played them in such a long time I don't really remember much from thst game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »
We match up really well with butler. Don't know about GTown. We haven't played them in such a long time I don't really remember much from thst game.

I think we'll beat Georgetown unless they shoot real well from deep. They are reeling and not a bad matchup.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:12:56 PM »
Even with all that, we still have a shot to finish the regular season in the top half of the Big East. Maybe, just maybe, this team is pulling together at the right time.

Pulling together, maybe. But the right time was about a month ago before the DePaul DeBacle.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 10:23:20 PM »
Depaul and Creighton are killing us. I could actually see this conference ending up with 3 bids because we've all killed each other this season and MU and Creighton had such weak noncons.  If that happens it might be an argument against the whole round robin concept. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 10:23:34 PM »
Pulling together, maybe. But the right time was about a month ago before the DePaul DeBacle.

This team is what it is. Young, inexperienced, talented, hard-working, mistake-prone. They can't undo the Belmont game, or the home loss to DePaul, or whatever other opportunities they failed to take advantage of earlier in the year.

But there is still opportunity to be had this season. I know that's what Wojo is emphasizing to the team right now. And that's what I'm focused on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 10:27:38 PM »
Depaul and Creighton are killing us. I could actually see this conference ending up with 3 bids because we've all killed each other this season and MU and Creighton had such weak noncons.  If that happens it might be an argument against the whole round robin concept.

Well, we got 6 bids last season. Was that an argument for the whole round robin concept?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:29:51 PM »

Gonna be hard for SHU and Providence to fall out.

Butler is right on the cusp.

Depends what they do.

Also these teams play games with each other. So I think 4 is a lock.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 10:30:26 PM »
They physically over matched us down low

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:31:02 PM »
Well, we got 6 bids last season. Was that an argument for the whole round robin concept?

Touche I just don't see it this time I think Nova, X locked and Hall is pretty much in then Providence, Butler, MU Georgetown and Creighton are a clusterf*ck of beating on each other. I could see us ending up at 4th and the 5th place team getting the 4th bid. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 06:39:41 AM »
If we win out in the regular season and win our first in NYC (probably the 4-5 game with PC), we have to get some consideration on Sunday, right?

22-11, 10-8 Big East
Good wins: Nova, PC x3, Butler x2, @Wisconsin, LSU
Bad losses: DePaul (not counting Belmont, since they will be a tourney team)

Screw the RPI, isn't that a tournament resume?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 06:48:29 AM »
Marquette is doing what young teams do.   Getting better.   Playing inconsistently.   Yes, if MU had beaten Belmont, DePaul, and Creighton at home, they would be on the bubble.    It didn't happen.  I am enjoying watching this team learn and grow.   I can see the potential for greatness next year.    And then I remember Henry won't be back.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 07:09:21 AM »
How bout 4 BE road wins? Not too shabby. Unfortunately our home cookin' ain't so great.

jsheim

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 07:19:36 AM »
If we win out in the regular season and win our first in NYC (probably the 4-5 game with PC), we have to get some consideration on Sunday, right?

22-11, 10-8 Big East

Yes it is...dont mind the bashers with rpi on the brain...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 07:27:27 AM »
I know all the emphasis for at large bids is on RPI, SOS, good wins, bad losses, etc.

But say we win 2 of the next 3 and then one in NYC.  We'd be 21-13, and 9-9 in the BE.  We would have won 5 of our last 7 conference games.

How often does a team from a high major conference with 21 wins, a .500 conference record, and finishing the season playing its best hoops not get a bid?

Not saying we'd get in, but I think that would put us on the bubble.  And if we win 3 of 3 like SaveOD238 said, I'd have to think we're in.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 07:29:41 AM »
Seton Hall is in 3rd place and not considered a lock for the tournament.
Georgetown, Creighton, Butler, MU, St. John's and DePaul most likely have to win the Big East tournament to get in and only one can do that. I will be very surprised if the the final game is not Villanova, vs. Xavier, which in that case means none of the teams that have to win the tournament do not even get to the final game. Providence plays at Seton Hall tonight. Neither team can afford to lose this game. A Villanova vs. Xavier final will clearly show what is already obvious that those two teams are a step above every one else in the conference. I do think we end up with four bids with the winner of the 4 vs. 5 game getting the fourth bid. I say 20% 3 bids, 60 % 4 bids and 20% 5 bids.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:31:29 AM by bilsu »

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 07:30:34 AM »

Big 12 has the round robin.   They might get 7 out of 10 in. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 07:36:16 AM »

22-11, 10-8 Big East

I think it is crazy to think this could/would even be close to happening - but if it does we have the following added benefits.
1. We would be one of the hottest teams in the country
2. Narrative - We aren't the old underperforming team that didn't get it done - we are the young team finally peaking
3. We have a one & done on the team - Marketing!

jsheim

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 07:38:34 AM »
I know all the emphasis for at large bids is on RPI, SOS, good wins, bad losses, etc.

But say we win 2 of the next 3 and then one in NYC.  We'd be 21-13, and 9-9 in the BE.  We would have won 5 of our last 7 conference games.

How often does a team from a high major conference with 21 wins, a .500 conference record, and finishing the season playing its best hoops not get a bid?

Not saying we'd get in, but I think that would put us on the bubble.  And if we win 3 of 3 like SaveOD238 said, I'd have to think we're in.

I wish it were true...but i think theres a lot of competition for at-large bids this year...BE  would have 4 decent bids already. For us, we need 10-8.

I went though all the conf lists (easy to do, use espn rpi ranking filter by conf) and added up ones that appear to contenders for auto or at large and got 78....too many. Just an eyeball test using rpi and record.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »

.......and if we hadn't beaten Providence twice this year?

Inconsistent means sometimes up and sometimes down.  Late in the year, the team is getting more consistent, and that is what counts.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 07:40:41 AM »

Jimmy Mac would agree with you.  And we'd actually be 21-12.

feedback