Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: was my post just taken down??  (Read 2867 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
was my post just taken down??
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:11:40 PM »
wtf!

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: was my post just taken down??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:21:50 PM »
i think censorship on this site is getting a little out of control.  That said I completely disagree with anything you put in the post i didn't read. ;)

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:31:45 PM »
it is one thing to take something down...it is completely something else to take something down with absolutely no explanation.  In fact if the post was put back up with a poll asking " is this post in any way shape or form negative, defamatory or whatever potential reason it was taken down for selections" I would be hard pressed to find a reason someone could find.  I guess you have one post taken down and the rest simply get taken down as an over reaction.

Agree getting pretty sad on the policing  The string that I commented on that was locked was locked for what...becuase the moderator felt it was going nowhere?....what 700+ reads and dozens of posts...well it seems the viewers/readers/posters felt compelled to read and post but the moderator chose to shut it down.

Come on guys...again thanks for the forum and you guys heretofore are doing a great job but my goodness some of this stuff is getting out of hand!

DonCornholeone

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:43:24 PM »
I thought this forum was spun off as a reaction to the rampant facism of the Dodds board?  Are we going to have to start yet another forum? 

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:46:11 PM »
Not sure about any post being deleted.  It usually takes a pretty obvious flame or something to cause us to delete a post.  Harrison - please PM me with the details of the post and I'll check into it.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 01:48:11 PM »
This is a fantastic board and the moderators are great. I didn't see what was removed.

I do think there have been a couple of debatable decisions to lock threads  recently. I don't understand the need to lock a thread that has been viewed more than 1500 times and responded to umpteen times either. Don't we want threads that interest people? If it was about politics or religion or something not MU related, I could understand. Just my two cents.

Again...this is a GREAT board and the moderators do a GREAT job!

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:48:56 PM »
From the beginning, there has been a very simple policy in regards to personal attacks.  Leave them out of your posts and we will not delete them.  

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:17 PM »
PRN,

I understand where you're coming from and agree to an extent on some recently locked threads.  Obviously, the nickname debate comes up often and for good reason, but we are attempting to prevent certain threads from being hijacked.  Maybe we should have one nickname debate thread so that we can keep it out of others.  I'm sure it will grow into the thousands.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 01:59:02 PM »
This is the best forum for Marquette hoops ever. Even better than the old Rivals board before the "split." The mods are doing a great job and I, for one, appreciate some of these threads getting moved to the Superbar board and other threads getting killed for obvious reasons.
We Are Marquette

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »
PRN, the thread thread that I commented on being locked was the one started by MR. Hayward...700+ reads...dozens of posts and then locked.  Silly me i thought posts that engage the community and have a temendous input/ffedback were actaully what we all wanted. 

But I do on the other hand to some degree agree on the nickname ones.  Borna Warrior graduated a Warrior and will Die a Warrior.  but the whole debate while i 100% agree with you does not change.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
i think censorship on this site is getting a little out of control.

I am sorry you feel that way.  Let me be clear - the only time we delete posts is when they contain personal attacks or otherwise violate the rules posted at the top of this board.  There is no censorship on this site beyond that.

I thought this forum was spun off as a reaction to the rampant facism of the Dodds board?  Are we going to have to start yet another forum? 
A.) This forum was not spun off of the Dodds board.  It started independently from that and more triggered by the demise of the Rival's board.
B.) If you would like to invest the money, time, and effort into starting a different board, knock yourself out.  None of that is remotely trivial.  We try our best.  If you would like to offer protests or suggestions I recommend that you PM one or all of the moderators (myself, rocky_warrior, SoCalWarrior, and/or mu_hilltopper).  We take every PM seriously and do our best to respond appropriately.

I do think there have been a couple of debatable decisions to lock threads  recently.
Agreed.  I am the one who has done most of the locking and I will scale that back.  Most of the locking comes when I start seeing a number of posts that question credibility, integrity, grammar skills, or other personal attributes of other posters.  If we can all take a more respectful tone and ground our arguments and rebuttals on things other than "person x must be a 4th grader" then the topics in question become much more worthwhile to read (and, honestly speaking, to moderate).

Please please please feel free to PM me or any other moderator if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions regarding any action that was taken.  We're all very amicable and completely understanding that our own judgments are as subjective (and therefore potentially harsher, a little overboard, or even outright wrong at times just like that of any other human).
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 02:08:22 PM »
That was me Harrison.  This site is incredibly easy to moderate because it hardly needs moderating. I have deleted maybe a half dozen posts since this site began.  All of them have been yours.  
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 02:21:22 PM by SoCalwarrior »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 02:21:28 PM »
.. One other comment .. this is not a democracy.  We usually (and I mean usually) err on the side of free speech, but this is a private entity, and if you're pushing the envelope with personal attacks or crassness and you catch us at the right time, you BETCHA we're going to lock or delete the post.   

Honestly, we need to moderate this forum maybe once a week, maybe twice.  Harrison, you should be the shamed one here, accounting for an easy 50% of the moderation necessary.  We've got 1206 members here, and 1205 of them know how to behave.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 02:23:21 PM »
This is the best forum for Marquette hoops ever. Even better than the old Rivals board before the "split." The mods are doing a great job and I, for one, appreciate some of these threads getting moved to the Superbar board and other threads getting killed for obvious reasons.

I appreciate the sentiment.  I don't know about best ever but we are trying.

I'll be the first to say that it is hardly perfect.  The Superbar moves are still fairly young so we're trying to find the right balance yet.  The thread locking might have been handled better a different way.  *shrug*  Please PM me with any objections/suggestions/concerns about any that do get moved.  The feedback, believe it or not, is very much appreciated.  Nothing worse than doing things in a vacuum. ;)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »
I think you guys are doing a he!!uva job.   My personal pet peeve is taking politics out of the superbar, but the world is imperfect and I have somehow managed to get through.    Allowing a cubs v brewers thread to go on for days while blocking presidential election politics.....     Keep up the good work and thank you for the effort you have put into this forum.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 02:30:42 PM »
I think you guys are doing a he!!uva job.   My personal pet peeve is taking politics out of the superbar, but the world is imperfect and I have somehow managed to get through.    Allowing a cubs v brewers thread to go on for days while blocking presidential election politics.....     Keep up the good work and thank you for the effort you have put into this forum.

Completely understood on the pet peeve.  If you have any compromise thoughts I would love to hear them.  Shoot me a PM.  Even after the decision I've debated if there is a better way.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »

is there any more left in that horse that we can beat in politics.  Lets face it, Republicans and Democrats don't think alike.  We all know who is right (they stand on the left actually), but lets just leave it at that  ;D
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »

i think censorship on this site is getting a little out of control.

I am sorry you feel that way.  Let me be clear - the only time we delete posts is when they contain personal attacks or otherwise violate the rules posted at the top of this board.  There is no censorship on this site beyond that.

I don't want to sound disingenuous, i honestly do appreciate this board and the work that all of you put into it.
The thread where PRN and I were arguing about how he would have responded to my friend's Christmas card if he looked at my friend through his anti-crean glasses was locked and i don't remember any of those reasons being cited.  That thread was popular enough to start mass email discussions between people who don't come here on any regular basis.

Also There was a thread on chants that Madison fans were chanting at the MU game.  I don't know where it went.  Was it deleted?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:21:41 PM by RawdogDX »

feedback