[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Universities adopt a statement on pro-free speech and censorship  (Read 658 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Universities adopt a statement on pro-free speech and censorship
« on: February 03, 2016, 06:19:44 AM »
This has been out for a while, but first Economist article I've seen on it. Good to see the pendulum return.

“It is not the proper role of the university to attempt to shield individuals from ideas and opinions they find unwelcome, disagreeable, or even deeply offensive,” it states. “Concerns about civility and mutual respect can never be used as justification for closing off discussion of ideas, however offensive or disagreeable.” The responsibility of a university, it concludes, is not only to promote “fearless freedom of debate”, but also to protect it.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21689603-statement-heart-debate-over-academic-freedom-hard-say
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: Universities adopt a statement on pro-free speech and censorship
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:23:39 PM »
I wouldn't say that pendulum has returned.  About a half dozen universities have signed on to this statement in the year since it was released.  Chicago is just one of the few principled institutions out there. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: Universities adopt a statement on pro-free speech and censorship
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
I wouldn't say that pendulum has returned.  About a half dozen universities have signed on to this statement in the year since it was released.  Chicago is just one of the few principled institutions out there.
meant to say returnING... good news nonetheless, and not just UofC (per the article)
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing