'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grad. Transfer PF Options  (Read 87285 times)

HoopsterBC

• All American
Re: Grad. Transfer PF Options
« Reply #200 on: April 14, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »
i've always questioned this.  in the case of someone like wilson, why don't more kids leave early?  he's not an nba talent, meaning he won't make millions a year, but from the little i know about overseas ball, he can make some decent $$$.  i understand its not an easy transition, but duane essentially has ~15 years to make as much money as he can playing ball before age ends his career.  every year he isn't earning income is a big deal considering the amount he's likely to make.  someone like henry could get insurance, have fun at MU as long as he likes, and then sign a contract in the nba that essentially allows him to be set for life.  duane likely needs to be extremely prudent with his earnings, and maximize his years of earnings, to ensure he has something come the age of 35-40?  he can always come back and finish a degree.  obviously there are reasons so few leave college early to play overseas...but i'm surprised more don't.

Duane is a very small 2 guard, does not have ideal size, is an average shooter, seemed to lost his hops last year, injury maybe, if he has a good year next year he might graduate and become a grad transfer, not sure he is the best 2 guard next year at MU.  Since the team does not have great size,  the starters will probably
be Howard or Carter, Cheatham, Johnson, Reinhardt and Luke.  If he can not even start at MU, not sure Europe is the answer yet.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #201 on: April 14, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
My guess is that it's because many 18-22 year olds don't want to be that far from home.  And because there aren't as many lucrative opportunities and people may think.

Agree.

Also, while we know the NBA drafts more on potential than immediate ability to contribute, I'd bet many overseas teams want their players ready to produce (especially foreign players, since there are often limits).  And that might require the extra strength and game experience that a kid like DuWil would get in college.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 14, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »
My guess is that it's because many 18-22 year olds don't want to be that far from home.  And because there aren't as many lucrative opportunities and people may think.

Also, any fierce competitor like Duane thinks he is good enough to make the NBA and reach his dream even if it's not realistic or probable. These kids beat to a different drum which is sometimes why they make irrational and impulsive decisions.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2016, 01:08:12 PM »
Stan "the man" Johnson just started following Ben Carter...

Found this article about Carter: http://runrebs.com/2016/04/14/ben-carter-big-impact-injury-shortened-season/

Really like the sound of the kid. I think he could be exactly what our team is missing next season. I would go from thinking "can we make the ncaas" to "what seed are we going to get?" Assuming he recovers from his torn acl.

However I did see this quote in the article that might give some scooper some pause:

Though he lacked the size, length or athleticism of some of the Rebels’ more renowned prospects, Carter proved to be a master of positioning

Translation: HE ONLY GETS THE EASY REBOUNDS!!!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »
Well good.  Those 10 easy rpg that Henry got have to go to someone!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 14, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
Found this article about Carter: http://runrebs.com/2016/04/14/ben-carter-big-impact-injury-shortened-season/

Really like the sound of the kid. I think he could be exactly what our team is missing next season. I would go from thinking "can we make the ncaas" to "what seed are we going to get?" Assuming he recovers from his torn acl.

However I did see this quote in the article that might give some scooper some pause:

Translation: HE ONLY GETS THE EASY REBOUNDS!!!

So..he's nto Goodluck Okonoboh or Zimmerman. Gotcha.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 14, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
With the torn ACL, Carter would really be for the 2017-2018 season correct?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2016, 01:57:36 PM »
With the torn ACL, Carter would really be for the 2017-2018 season correct?

Not necessarily. He tore it in early February. Season doesn't start until mid November. A little over 9 months is enough time in theory to recover from a torn ACL. It depends on the athlete.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2016, 02:16:28 PM »
I've heard that there has been talk of D Wilson leaving school to play in Europe.  I know that Duane was not happy when he moved from starting Wojo's first year to coming off the bench the past year.   The talent coming in will make that even worse.  Plus I'm not sure what he feels about his personal relationship with Wojo.  We have always assumed that the fact that he burned the redshirt year will keep him from transferring but leaving school all together is a different scenario.  Hope he doesn't leave.  I like Duane and he isn't afraid of the moment in close games.  You need players like that.

Me too. Duane's one of my favorite players.  Really hope he stays.

I also don't think we've seen him scratch the surface of his potential in an MU uni yet.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:44:56 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2016, 02:29:15 PM »
Just because the conversation already seems to have started here, I've also heard that Wally and Duane are transfer candidates, for the same reasons mentioned.  Would be bummed to see Duane leave as he came in with so much promise and potential and being from Milwaukee I love the story.  But it's clear Wojo is bringing in serious talent at guard, talent that is more suited to Wojo's style of play, and he very well could already be lost in the shuffle.  Plus with his injury his frosh year and having to sit, Buzz leaving and a whole new regime coming in while buddies like his cousin (Jamil), Deonte, and Jameel left too, and now probably losing substantial PT going forward, it makes sense if he does.

In addition, and I hate speculating but what the hell, I've heard there's a chance Traci may consider bouncing.  Although I was told it's the least likely of the 3, with Howard on board and Rowsey a ball handling shooter too, he could see his minutes get cut into to the point he would leave.  Again, this was all based in rumor and outside of Wally it sounded like the other two weren't as likely.  But it explains all of our interest in other players.

So Kalif Young, L.G. Gill, and maybe another guy or two are on our radar because we would be bringing in "maybe 2 to 3 new guys".  Sounds like a lot of dominoes have yet to fall so things could be far from over.  Interested to hear what BD has to say.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2016, 02:38:54 PM »
In furtherance of the transfer speculations,  it's truly getting a little late for players to make that decision IF the decision is to move onto another university and continue to play basketball.  Available slots do fill up. It serves no purpose to maintain radio silence from the student athlete's perspective. Again,  a guy like Wally is a special case. I suppose Du going to Europe would also fall into that category.  But at some point it becomes pretty unlikely.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2016, 02:50:21 PM »
In furtherance of the transfer speculations,  it's truly getting a little late for players to make that decision IF the decision is to move onto another university and continue to play basketball.  Available slots do fill up. It serves no purpose to maintain radio silence from the student athlete's perspective. Again,  a guy like Wally is a special case. I suppose Du going to Europe would also fall into that category.  But at some point it becomes pretty unlikely.

I will be more worried after next season. This year's logjam will lead to less minutes for somebody. Traci may know for sure that Markus has the PG keys (or vice versa, but less likely IMO). Duane will likely have the ability to grad transfer and avoid a sit-out year. While I do think we see at least one more transfer this year, I don't think it is either of those guys. Wally makes the most sense to me at this time.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2016, 04:20:16 PM »
LG Gill will visit Marquette on 4/29. So...there's that.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2016, 04:23:01 PM »

Same weekend as Young, right?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
Same weekend as Young, right?

Yes. Young will be visiting April 28.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2016, 04:28:19 PM »

..yah, about that.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
I will be more worried after next season. This year's logjam will lead to less minutes for somebody. Traci may know for sure that Markus has the PG keys (or vice versa, but less likely IMO). Duane will likely have the ability to grad transfer and avoid a sit-out year. While I do think we see at least one more transfer this year, I don't think it is either of those guys. Wally makes the most sense to me at this time.

Yep. If new top 25-50 recruits beat out lesser players that's the way the cookie crumbles. Hey, none of our current guys took us dancing. Not critical of them but we are trying to build something here.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »
I read that Carter plans to be ready by November.

Him or Young please.

No no no no no on Gill
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2016, 05:14:18 PM »
I read that Carter plans to be ready by November.

Him or Young please.

No no no no no on Gill

I'd rather have young or Carter too but why so down on Gill?
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2016, 05:31:08 PM »
I'd rather have young or Carter too but why so down on Gill?

All the no's are a little excessive lol. I'd rather have him than nothing at all.

But I just don't like a PF with a guards shooting % unless it's a Henry type talent.

But it does appear he can knock the 3 down decently at least.

Just really prefer a 4 year guy. Or someone like Carter who appears to be a plant his ass down low, play tough D and be quality PF

With all our guards I don't think have a more of a scorer mentality PF is a need. We just need someone down there to fight.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »
But I just don't like a PF with a guards shooting % unless it's a Henry type talent.

FG% is an irrelevant figure.

Gill shoots the 3 more often than the 2. Last season, his 2FG% of 53.5% was impressive, AS WAS his eFG% of 52.3%.

FG% is a horrible statistic when discussing how well a player shoots the ball.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 14, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »

Gill shoots the 3 more often than the 2. Last season, his 2FG% of 53.5% was impressive, AS WAS his eFG% of 52.3%.

To put  that into context.....Henry's efg% was only 48%.

Obviously other factors also,play into a players overall value

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2016, 07:17:20 PM »

Per same tweet from Rothstein, Gill plans to visit Shaka & Texas

MU82

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 14, 2016, 07:20:18 PM »
Yep. If new top 25-50 recruits beat out lesser players that's the way the cookie crumbles. Hey, none of our current guys took us dancing. Not critical of them but we are trying to build something here.

Agree, glow.

I'm reminded of the many years the Cubs sucked. Invariably, several players would get cut or traded or go elsewhere after the season, and fans would moan about it. "Matt Murton! We need him!" And I'm thinking, "They sucked! You don't NEED most of them!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2016, 07:53:49 PM »

But that's the point. We've already got as some have said about 8 shooters and possibly our best shooting team in forever. We don't need a PF that's gonna camp out there.

We need a efficient big man in the paint(or a 4 year player with that potential)

Not sure how Gill defense is though.

feedback