'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grad. Transfer PF Options  (Read 87280 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Grad. Transfer PF Options
« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
Team FT% is insignificant. Too small to be bothered concerning yourself over.

but it drives people nuts, especially in close games and dudes that can it 3 pointers with a hand in their face...missing wide open 15 footers,
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2016, 06:32:33 PM »
but it drives people nuts, especially in close games and dudes that can it 3 pointers with a hand in their face...missing wide open 15 footers,

Yep. Some/most think emotionally and irrationally.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »
UNLV C/PF Ben Carter (6'8" - 225) might become a grad transfer.  He is a high energy, "do the dirty work", glue guy.  He was the one Rebel whose game I actually liked.  There are only four scholarship players left on the Rebel squad!

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/unlv-s-ben-carter-considering-transferring-basketball-team

Stan "the man" Johnson just started following Ben Carter...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2016, 07:10:25 AM »
Stan "the man" Johnson just started following Ben Carter...

#donedeal, a''ina? Could see this one working out. Worried about injury.. but this one would seem to make some sense.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

Duquesne grad transfer L.G. Gill told ESPN he's been contacted by Marquette, Texas, Iowa St, Alabama, Cincy, ECU, Maryland - and more.

6'7" forward, averaged 10/6.5 this year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2016, 09:46:21 AM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

Duquesne grad transfer L.G. Gill told ESPN he's been contacted by Marquette, Texas, Iowa St, Alabama, Cincy, ECU, Maryland - and more.

6'7" forward, averaged 10/6.5 this year.

I will repeat again - clearly Wojo know someone isn't going to be around. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »

If Wojo knows, at this stage in the game, it has to be Wally as the other possible transfers would have to get there name out there to find another school as scholarships are tightening up.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2016, 09:49:15 AM »
At this point that person who is not going to be around has to be Wally, right??  If not what is the hold up on announcing the transfer?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2016, 09:50:16 AM »
If Wojo knows, at this stage in the game, it has to be Wally as the other possible transfers would have to get there name out there to find another school as scholarships are tightening up.

HoopsterBC, we're on the same page.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2016, 09:52:09 AM »
My guess is that we will know more soon.  The basketball banquet is tonight. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2016, 09:57:31 AM »

Know is a strong word. I'd say he knows that a player or players is considering leaving. And even if he doesn't, he definitely knows that a player could just transfer out of nowhere. Just got to be prepared in case it happens.

ABR.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
Know is a strong word. I'd say he knows that a player or players is considering leaving. And even if he doesn't, he definitely knows that a player could just transfer out of nowhere. Just got to be prepared in case it happens.

ABR.

Cut to Banquet Awards tonight:

Wojo: We're going to add something new to tonight's banquet.  As you all know first prize is a trip to Comedy Sportz. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a spirit shop gift card. Third prize is: you're transferring.

Get the picture? You laughing now? You got reps. The boosters paid good money--you can't close out on the man you're given on d you can't close crap. You ARE crap. Hit the bricks, pal, and beat it 'cause you are transferring OUT.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »
If some player is not at the banquet without an excuse like a family issue that might be telling.   I would think if you are leaving, you are not going to show up for banquet.  Maybe I'm wrong but seems logical.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »
Refresh my memory.  Doesn't Wally have one INDOOR season of eligibility left after this year but run out of outdoor?  So as BD suggested in 'Barbershop', that could be a very good plan for next winter, even at MU. I'm assuming track could give him a full or partial scholly. Anyone correct my NCAA math. Now if he'd prefer to play hoops,  well fine. I suppose he could even walk on to hoops first semester.  Here's what I do think I know.  If he utilizes a hoops scholly, Wojo will expect his full and undivided commitment.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2016, 10:36:01 AM »
Refresh my memory.  Doesn't Wally have one INDOOR season of eligibility left after this year but run out of outdoor?  So as BD suggested in 'Barbershop', that could be a very good plan for next winter, even at MU. I'm assuming track could give him a full or partial scholly. Anyone correct my NCAA math. Now if he'd prefer to play hoops,  well fine. I suppose he could even walk on to hoops first semester.  Here's what I do think I know.  If he utilizes a hoops scholly, Wojo will expect his full and undivided commitment.

If Wally's on a track scholarship of any kind, then basketball would not be allowed per NCAA rules.  IIRC, it all goes back to Jimmy Johnson putting wide receivers on track scholarships back when he was at U of Miami.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:38:51 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »
Also, I am not sure that eligibility is separate for indoor and outdoor track. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »
At this point that person who is not going to be around has to be Wally, right??  If not what is the hold up on announcing the transfer?
I've heard that there has been talk of D Wilson leaving school to play in Europe.  I know that Duane was not happy when he moved from starting Wojo's first year to coming off the bench the past year.   The talent coming in will make that even worse.  Plus I'm not sure what he feels about his personal relationship with Wojo.  We have always assumed that the fact that he burned the redshirt year will keep him from transferring but leaving school all together is a different scenario.  Hope he doesn't leave.  I like Duane and he isn't afraid of the moment in close games.  You need players like that. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:45:51 AM by NotAnAlum »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2016, 10:49:46 AM »
I've heard that there has been talk of D Wilson leaving school to play in Europe.  I know that Duane was not happy when he moved from starting Wojo's first year to coming off the bench the past year.   The talent coming in will make that even worse.  Plus I'm not sure what he feels about his personal relationship with Wojo.  We have always assumed that the fact that he burned the redshirt year will keep him from transferring but leaving school all together is a different scenario.  Hope he doesn't leave.  I like Duane and he isn't afraid of the moment in close games.  You need players like that.

Not unthinkable, especially with Duane having a family to take care of.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2016, 10:56:02 AM »
If Wally's on a track scholarship of any kind, then basketball would not be allowed per NCAA rules.  IIRC, it all goes back to Jimmy Johnson putting wide receivers on track scholarships back when he was at U of Miami.

Totally agree.  Any use of a scholly other than hoops would preclude him from playing hoops. And I like Sultan don't know if there's a distinction between outdoor and indoor.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »
Cut to Banquet Awards tonight:

Wojo: We're going to add something new to tonight's banquet.  As you all know first prize is a trip to Comedy Sportz. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a spirit shop gift card. Third prize is: you're transferring.

Get the picture? You laughing now? You got reps. The boosters paid good money--you can't close out on the man you're given on d you can't close crap. You ARE crap. Hit the bricks, pal, and beat it 'cause you are transferring OUT.

Schollies are for closers!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »

Duane moving on will be a loss beyond the court.  I can't think of anyone else who was such a supporter of the program and positive voice to possible recruits for at least his first two years.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »
Duane moving on will be a loss beyond the court.  I can't think of anyone else who was such a supporter of the program and positive voice to possible recruits for at least his first two years.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of Duane on and off the court. The kid embraces the big moments and I'd love to see him find success at Marquette, especially as a local product.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2016, 11:40:37 AM »
+1 -- I hope he stays...would understand if he moved on, but would be a loss.  I hope he gets his degree before he chooses to move on as well.  Could be a huge asset down the road.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 14, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
i've always questioned this.  in the case of someone like wilson, why don't more kids leave early?  he's not an nba talent, meaning he won't make millions a year, but from the little i know about overseas ball, he can make some decent $$$.  i understand its not an easy transition, but duane essentially has ~15 years to make as much money as he can playing ball before age ends his career.  every year he isn't earning income is a big deal considering the amount he's likely to make.  someone like henry could get insurance, have fun at MU as long as he likes, and then sign a contract in the nba that essentially allows him to be set for life.  duane likely needs to be extremely prudent with his earnings, and maximize his years of earnings, to ensure he has something come the age of 35-40?  he can always come back and finish a degree.  obviously there are reasons so few leave college early to play overseas...but i'm surprised more don't. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 14, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »
My guess is that it's because many 18-22 year olds don't want to be that far from home.  And because there aren't as many lucrative opportunities and people may think.