'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grad. Transfer PF Options  (Read 87277 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Grad. Transfer PF Options
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
Love to see a 7 foot 300 lb big body join us.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »
Love to see a 7 foot 300 lb big body join us.

I'd love if my dog pooped $100 bills.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2016, 03:28:06 PM »
A bit off topic, but it has been a week since BigDaddy posted saying that he was hopefully going to change his name soon given one of our targets. It too early to start:

NAME WATCH 2K16

Unfortunately that was only 3 days ago.  Seems longer though.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »

I'd love if my dog pooped $100 bills.

F*ckin' would just be happy to poop, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »
Unfortunately that was only 3 days ago.  Seems longer though.

Bummer. Well...back to the watch.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »
Goodman's transfer list notes that Malcolm Bernard, grad transfer out of Florida A&M by way for College of Charleston is considering MU along with Middle Tennessee, Chattanooga, Cal State Bakersfield and Richmond.

Undersized PF (6-6), who plays in the post.  Averaged 14.4, 7.1 and 4.3 last year.  Pretty inefficient player, but he can at least play a role as a rebounding forward. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2016, 10:47:41 AM »
Goodman's transfer list notes that Malcolm Bernard, grad transfer out of Florida A&M by way for College of Charleston is considering MU along with Middle Tennessee, Chattanooga, Cal State Bakersfield and Richmond.

Undersized PF (6-6), who plays in the post.  Averaged 14.4, 7.1 and 4.3 last year.  Pretty inefficient player, but he can at least play a role as a rebounding forward.

He put up monster numbers, you can add 2.3 steals per game to the ones you mentioned. But he did for the second worst team in division 1. What's worse, Florida A&M didn't even play a tough non-conference. He had exactly 1 game against a top 100 opponent, #81 Houston, and he put up pretty bad numbers. I really think this is a case of a guy gorging on weak opponents.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
He put up monster numbers, you can add 2.3 steals per game to the ones you mentioned. But he did for the second worst team in division 1. What's worse, Florida A&M didn't even play a tough non-conference. He had exactly 1 game against a top 100 opponent, #81 Houston, and he put up pretty bad numbers. I really think this is a case of a guy gorging on weak opponents.

Agreed. But I'd take him over Kalif Young for next season. I'd probably prefer Reinhardt to Bernard, tho.

Just don't really see what a hs PF accomplishes for us at this point. Its a nice luxury to have if you have room - but we need a dude we can rely on to play 30 MPG at the 4 next year. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:17:14 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »
Agreed. But I'd take him over Kalif Young for next season. I'd probably prefer Reinhardt to Bernard, tho.

Just don't really see what a hs PF accomplishes for us at this point. Its a nice luxury to have if you have room - but we need a dude we can rely on to play 30 MPG at the 4 next year.

Wojo will always pick the best long term over the best short term. FWIW, Young has had some blue bloods attending his practices. Duke, Louisville, and Syracuse IIRC. He's not ranked highly but he seems like he might be one of those late blooming bigs. Not saying he would start or anything like that, just that he might be a little better than we anticipate.
TAMU

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2016, 11:26:22 AM »
Wojo will always pick the best long term over the best short term. FWIW, Young has had some blue bloods attending his practices. Duke, Louisville, and Syracuse IIRC. He's not ranked highly but he seems like he might be one of those late blooming bigs. Not saying he would start or anything like that, just that he might be a little better than we anticipate.

How do you know this? 

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »

Probably true and not a bad thing. We have exactly 1 big for 2017 and his name is Matt Heldt. That frighten anybody else? At some point you have to bring in another PF/C that will be here for 3-4 years. Grad transfers are great and I agree we could use a contributing PF for next year, but the big body cupboard will be severely bare after next year. Can't keep up the trend of 1-year post players unless you are Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2016, 11:34:55 AM »
How do you know this?

Wojo's message has always been building a program not building a team. But honestly, its just my impression of the man. I should of put "In my opinion" my apologies.
TAMU

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
Wojo's message has always been building a program not building a team. But honestly, its just my impression of the man. I should of put "In my opinion" my apologies.

Thanks & I dont disagree - but my hypothesis is that it is more conditional/situational versus 'always'.  Otherwise he wouldn't have gone after the grad transfers last year.  Just didn't know if there was something out there that made it that concrete.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
Probably true and not a bad thing. We have exactly 1 big for 2017 and his name is Matt Heldt. That frighten anybody else? At some point you have to bring in another PF/C that will be here for 3-4 years. Grad transfers are great and I agree we could use a contributing PF for next year, but the big body cupboard will be severely bare after next year. Can't keep up the trend of 1-year post players unless you are Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas.

In an ideal world, you get a Bernard/Reinhardt (assuming he'd play the 4) and a Kalif Young. But that would require a transfer out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2016, 11:53:14 AM »

Possible middle of the road option is getting a grad transfer with two years of eligibility left. Patrick Steeves or Derail Green come to mind.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »
In an ideal world, you get a Bernard/Reinhardt (assuming he'd play the 4) and a Kalif Young. But that would require a transfer out.

As my South Side Chicago father-in law would say: "I'll take da boada dem."

And if the end result is a transfer out, that's OK, too. As long as the transfer isn't any of our top half-dozen.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
Or think about how some other coaches might handle this.  Some might 'encourage' Wally to concentrate on his High Jump so he could fill 2 slots.  I really believe Wojo won't even consider that option out of loyalty to one of 'his' guys.  I'd argue that's building the program the right way. Now assuming Wally does decide to play,  Wojo probably won't be shy about telling the Senior what he expects from him, even if that expectation delays or temporarily diminishes his jumping prowess.  For example,  he could try to have Wally put on 10 pounds of muscle in an effort to get more out of him at the #4. Totally fair and I think the Ellenson family would agree.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »
Or think about how some other coaches might handle this.  Some might 'encourage' Wally to concentrate on his High Jump so he could fill 2 slots.  I really believe Wojo won't even consider that option out of loyalty to one of 'his' guys.  I'd argue that's building the program the right way. Now assuming Wally does decide to play,  Wojo probably won't be shy about telling the Senior what he expects from him, even if that expectation delays or temporarily diminishes his jumping prowess.  For example,  he could try to have Wally put on 10 pounds of muscle in an effort to get more out of him at the #4. Totally fair and I think the Ellenson family would agree.

I don't think Wojo would push Wally out. Hell, as the roster is currently constructed - Wally would get decent minutes at the 4.  But that is what is scary.  He's a decent enough energy guy, and I'd be fine with him being around, but he's not someone you want to play more than 10 MPG. 

It's either Wally is in a position to graduate and wants to go play at a lower level, or decides to concentrate of high jump, or he just stays.  My bet is he just stays, but again, it sure looks like Wojo is trying to fill more than 1 roster spot.  Then again, BD sounded pretty certain.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2016, 12:28:24 PM »
As my South Side Chicago father-in law would say: "I'll take da boada dem."

And if the end result is a transfer out, that's OK, too. As long as the transfer isn't any of our top half-dozen.

Agreed, with emphasis on the bolded. Its the way of CBB today. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »
I don't think Wojo would push Wally out. Hell, as the roster is currently constructed - Wally would get decent minutes at the 4.  But that is what is scary.  He's a decent enough energy guy, and I'd be fine with him being around, but he's not someone you want to play more than 10 MPG. 

It's either Wally is in a position to graduate and wants to go play at a lower level, or decides to concentrate of high jump, or he just stays.  My bet is he just stays, but again, it sure looks like Wojo is trying to fill more than 1 roster spot.  Then again, BD sounded pretty certain.

We agree.  I'm simply saying Wojo will allow this to be Wally's choice offering him sound advice throughout the process.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2016, 01:07:39 PM »

AKA......the Buzz Williams approach.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2016, 01:25:41 PM »

AKA - how you win in CBB.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »

He's the only one.

Have you seen the annual list of transfers, many from the nation's blueblood programs, but all the way down to the Whoever A&T's and Directional U?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson