[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin HS students banned from chanting harmless phrases  (Read 6571 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Wisconsin HS students banned from chanting harmless phrases
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »
It is always good to see the  WIAA is preparing HS students for the real world by creating a fantasy world to play basketball. Can not wait when their future boss tells them they are doing a great job but didn't get a raise since everyone else was slightly better in a very competitive environment. Would be more honest if they were just told the truth so more effective decisions can be made in their careers. But hey we do not want to hurt anyone's feelings, just their pocket books.

COLA=Participation trophy
Have some patience, FFS.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
It is always good to see the  WIAA is preparing HS students for the real world by creating a fantasy world to play basketball. Can not wait when their future boss tells them they are doing a great job but didn't get a raise since everyone else was slightly better in a very competitive environment. Would be more honest if they were just told the truth so more effective decisions can be made in their careers. But hey we do not want to hurt anyone's feelings, just their pocket books.
From reading the original post my interpretation is that it is meant to prevent students and parents in the stands from being classless dbags and not to protect the athletes from 'feeling bad'.

am i making assumptions or are you?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »
COLA=Participation trophy

I wish my company passed out Participation trophies each year

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
I wish my company passed out Participation trophies each year

Been there.

I'm with a 501(c)(6) organization now. It rocks.   All the benefits of working for a NFP without the money woes of a charity.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »
From reading the original post my interpretation is that it is meant to prevent students and parents in the stands from being classless dbags and not to protect the athletes from 'feeling bad'.

am i making assumptions or are you?

If your interpretation is correct - that the WIAA is simply trying to prevent students and parents from being classless dbags - why did they prohibit harmless chants like "Airball" or "Sieve"?  Is it your feeling that anyone who chants "airball" is a classless dbag?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2016, 01:44:42 PM »
Of course chanting "you can't read" at Stone is classless, but it reflects poorly on the chanters, not Stone.  I would imagine Stone wasn't too bothered by it, and it made beating the Badgers a little more fun.

Nothing I enjoyed more during my high school playing days than going to our rivals' gyms, getting hated on by the crowd, and then sending them home with a L.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 02:03:12 PM »
Not dbaggery in the least - earlier i said 'banning these chants is over the top'.

However, I do think taking steps to remove the dbaggery behavior from these environments isn't a bad thing.  Is this quote from the comm Dir "Clark also noted TV coverage has increasingly focused on rowdy student sections at big-time college programs, prompting high schoolers to try to match the behavior." (link below) specifically targeting the UW student section?  I don't know.  But it is the state of Wisconsin, the Badgers get more attention than any other college program, and their student section is notoriously filled with dbags. 

I would've drawn the line at personal attacks and foul language but i don't blame them for taking some action to keep even a portion of that type (UW student section) of behavior out of high schools.

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/wiaa-david-anderson-negative-chants-high-school-011316

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »
Getting a lot of attention. Rooster Teeth which is primarily a machinima and gaming company even chimed in on it on their only place where they talk sports. Opened with it over the NFL playoffs.

https://youtu.be/Ysb4piH9at4

Segments starts a 3:10

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
    "wisconsin is a weird state with weird people"  nice heyna?  i think that should rule out the WI 'ey 'ey as being the ambassadors to our state
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 12:35:03 AM »
SVP takes WIAA to task

http://es.pn/1Ouuzoi

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »
SVP takes WIAA to task

http://es.pn/1Ouuzoi

"Shielding them from things that aren't even harmful makes them feeble and weak minded, and they're not.  They can handle it, so let them."

Well said Scott.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2016, 10:10:35 PM »
Maybe the WIAA is just trying to show the kids what it's like to live a Mormon lifestyle.  Exposing them to different religious backgrounds.  Watching the Stanford at BYU men's volleyball match (and BYU packs their gym for men's volleyball) and the fans all just yell, cheer "Let's go Cougars," or put their arms around each other and rock back and forth to music.  Seems like this is the type of fan activity the WIAA is hoping for.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2016, 11:27:27 PM »
             it's all about control.  and the WIAA is a rules are rules based organization.  watch-they will stand by their

decision regardless of how much criticism and ridicule this has brought onto them.  this makes them look like

the dbags.   

don't...don't don't don't don't

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:59 PM »
The wussification continues....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2016, 12:19:03 AM »
             it's all about control.  and the WIAA is a rules are rules based organization.  watch-they will stand by their

decision regardless of how much criticism and ridicule this has brought onto them.  this makes them look like

the dbags.

Not necessarily. Already on their twitter account they said something how nothing was officially. Like they already backed off of it.

feedback