[Today at 07:04:54 AM]

NM by rocket surgeon
[Today at 05:46:50 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo hearts Heldt  (Read 5047 times)

tower912

• All American
Wojo hearts Heldt
« on: January 08, 2016, 06:31:11 AM »
Wojo:   Since July, Matt has dropped 20 lbs of fat and added 13 lbs of muscle.   He has gotten play lately because he has earned it in practice, has earned it in the weight room.   Pounds on Luke and Henry every day, can finish around the hoop with either hand.  Working on his foul line jumper.  Has truly embraced it.   Understands that to get better doesn't just happen between 2-5.

Me: This is the kind of project big MU has needed forever.    I expect that by the time Luke graduates, Matt is going to be able to step into the post seamlessly.   Hopefully, by then, the next Matt Heldt will be ready to learn from him. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Wojo hearts Heldt
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:09:27 AM »
Wojo:   Since July, Matt has dropped 20 lbs of fat and added 13 lbs of muscle.   He has gotten play lately because he has earned it in practice, has earned it in the weight room.   Pounds on Luke and Henry every day, can finish around the hoop with either hand.  Working on his foul line jumper.  Has truly embraced it.   Understands that to get better doesn't just happen between 2-5.

Me: This is the kind of project big MU has needed forever.    I expect that by the time Luke graduates, Matt is going to be able to step into the post seamlessly.   Hopefully, by then, the next Matt Heldt will be ready to learn from him.

From your lips to god's ears.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 07:17:22 AM »

That's in one year. I sure hope you're right!

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:35:58 PM »
That's in one year. I sure hope you're right!

Closer to two years, really - Heldt needs to be ready by November of 2017...
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
With how kinda uncoordinated(maybe not right word) and clumsy he's looked a lot of times early this year I was kinda hesitant.

But in the Prov game I became very encouraged. Still not fluid at all but in little spurts against a great team he fit in. Got in rebounding position a couple of times and cleared guys out. And his missed shot attempt he literally spun the wrong way, but still got open and a good look.

He didn't even really do anything vs Prov but just watching him left me with thinking that by Junior year when Luke is gone...he could be a very quality player.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »

Todd Smith does a great job with the kids in the weight room. Matt has the tools. For him it is more a function of developing the confidence necessary to play at the higher speed of  the college level. Matt is going to have a nice steady progression. I think by the time conference season rolls around next year he will be making a steady contribution. One thing I have noticed is that he has a very good relationship with the entire team.  Being respected by your teammates makes the climb easier.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »
I think Heldt will be a Chris Otule type of player. Big bodied, role player but with a bit more offense.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »

luke needs to get pounded on in practice...

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 01:39:41 PM »
I think Heldt will be a Chris Otule type of player. Big bodied, role player but with a bit more offense.

Matt will never be the defender that CO was but he has potential,to be a very good offensive center. Much better low post moves with the potential to eventually be a pick and pop threat which Chris obviously never was.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 01:47:48 PM »
I'd say right now he is at senior year Grimm Reaper level. Come next year I think he could be a 5-10 min a game contributor depending on roster make-up. I think his ceiling is probably a poor man's Robert Jackson or a Marcus Jackson without the PG skills  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
I'd say right now he is at senior year Grimm Reaper level.
I haven't seen him throw down a fast break 2-handed dunk yet (in South Bend).

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »
Todd Smith does a great job with the kids in the weight room. Matt has the tools. For him it is more a function of developing the confidence necessary to play at the higher speed of  the college level. Matt is going to have a nice steady progression. I think by the time conference season rolls around next year he will be making a steady contribution. One thing I have noticed is that he has a very good relationship with the entire team.  Being respected by your teammates makes the climb easier.

Does JJJ have the respect of his teammates? What about Henry?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »
I'd say right now he is at senior year Grimm Reaper level.

He's not nearly as proficient of a moving screener.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »

The Grimm Reaper would be nearly useless in today's college basketball but damn it if I didn't love him when he played.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »

But in the Prov game I became very encouraged. Still not fluid at all but in little spurts against a great team he fit in. Got in rebounding position a couple of times and cleared guys out. And his missed shot attempt he literally spun the wrong way, but still got open and a good look.

He didn't even really do anything vs Prov but just watching him left me with thinking that by Junior year when Luke is gone...he could be a very quality player.

I felt the same way. I thought it was the 1st time this year that he looked comfortable on the floor rather than scared (probably the wrong word choice, but it came to mind first)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 03:49:31 PM »

hahaha, he gets a moving screen violation every single time.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »
It's great to see Matt getting playing time.  I think he will contribute more every year.  He's got a great winning team attitude.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »
hahaha, he gets a moving screen violation every single time.

Moving screen calls are a joke. Have any of you watched off-the-ball screens? 99% of them should be called.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »
Speaking of Chris Otule, did you guys know he played with 1 eye?   :P

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »
Closer to two years, really - Heldt needs to be ready by November of 2017...

i'd say he needs to be ready when called upon.  sounds like he's getting better every day.  he is looking more and more comfortable out there

don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
I haven't seen him throw down a fast break 2-handed dunk yet (in South Bend).

Even I've done that.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 06:59:15 PM »
Even I've done that.
Same here - pretty easy given the amount of easy targets in South Bend.

*EDIT - I thought this was about throwing down two handed 'drunks', not 'dunks'.  My bad.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:02:14 PM by naginiF »