Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: iowa  (Read 6129 times)

mutrainer71

• Walk-On
iowa
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
Check out the MSU/Iowa score at Halftime boys and girls.  Maybe that loss wasn't so bad with hind sight.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: iowa
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:05:11 PM »
When they are on they are very solid. But can be erratic.

There trouble is closing out games(odd as a senior team)

Also, valentine is out so msu really didn't have much of a chance to actually win. A blowout is impressive though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »
Izzo's dad died today, too.

I have Iowa #3 in the Big Ten.  It was never a bad thing losing to them, if anything it was a nice wake up call for the kids.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »
It wasn't the loss that was bad....it was how bad we looked losing.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »
It wasn't the loss that was bad....it was how bad we looked losing.

True. But nobody will remember in March

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Iowa is a very good team. We knew that.

Sparty is without its best player. I mean, how would we have done against Iowa WITHOUT Henry? We did so well with him!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 11:11:22 PM »

I have Iowa #3 in the Big Ten.  It was never a bad thing losing to them, if anything it was a nice wake up call for the kids.

Doubt it. There schedule is deadly.

Don't see them ahead of MSU, Maryland or Purdue.

They will compete with the mid pack.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 06:29:17 AM »

Purdue is overrated, in my opinion. No guards and the bigs are mainly just tall. For this season alone I'd take Iowa's front court over Purdue's, and I'd absolutely take their guards over Purdue's.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 06:42:13 AM »
From September 9, in the prediction thread....

Iowa is very good and has lots of experience at the top of their lineup

Don't sleep on Dale Jones either (Jimmy & Joe's JUCO).

Uthoff, Woodbury, Gesell, Clemmons all seniors with experience...

Jok and Uhl have gotten a good taste.

My boi Andrew Fleming comes into the fold this year as a frosh..

...oh yeah, and Brady.

Tough team. If they stay healthy they can impress in the Big Ten.

Iowa's quite good and **elderly**, which is a good thing.

Most had them at #7 and #9 in the Big Ten before this season started. That was a miss by the masses.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »

Where do you "have" Indiana? Four year starter and MCD AA at the point (most important position), two other MCD AAs and assorted 4 stars plus the easiest schedule in the BIG (in a decidedly down year for the conference). Anything short of a top three finish would be a disaster.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
Where do you "have" Indiana? Four year starter and MCD AA at the point (most important position), two other MCD AAs and assorted 4 stars plus the easiest schedule in the BIG (in a decidedly down year for the conference). Anything short of a top three finish would be a disaster.

Not a chance they finish that high. They have an historically bad defense. Middle of the pack finish for them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 09:57:29 AM »
Not a chance they finish that high. They have an historically bad defense. Middle of the pack finish for them.

I certainly hope you're right - but their schedule is sooooo easy. They play the top three teams (MSU, Maryland and Purdue) only one time and two of those games are at home. Their 5 "home and aways" are against Minnesota (horrible), Illinois (terrible), Nebraska (really bad), Wisconsin (mediocre to bad) and Iowa (good) - IU will be favored in 9 of those 10 games. Big favorites at home versus Ohio State and Northwestern, big favorites on the road against Penn State and Rutgers. Small chalk at home vs Purdue and Maryland. They'll be dogs 3 times - At Iowa, at Michigan and at Michigan State. Even if they underperform (I think they will) 12 or 13 wins should be a cakewalk.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
I certainly hope you're right - but their schedule is sooooo easy. They play the top three teams (MSU, Maryland and Purdue) only one time and two of those games are at home. Their 5 "home and aways" are against Minnesota (horrible), Illinois (terrible), Nebraska (really bad), Wisconsin (mediocre to bad) and Iowa (good) - IU will be favored in 9 of those 10 games. Big favorites at home versus Ohio State and Northwestern, big favorites on the road against Penn State and Rutgers. Small chalk at home vs Purdue and Maryland. They'll be dogs 3 times - At Iowa, at Michigan and at Michigan State. Even if they underperform (I think they will) 12 or 13 wins should be a cakewalk.

I guess I didn't bother to analyze their schedule. And, you're right, that is far from a murderer's row. The thing is, that I bet a few of those bad teams steal games against IU simply because IU won't be able to get stops when they need them. No advanced statistical analysis here, just my impression.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 12:09:25 PM »
Hope you're right.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »

They do have a tough schedule, but I like their experience more than anything.  I think they are the 3rd best team in the conference, doesn't mean they will finish 3rd.  Much like the Old Big East with unbalanced schedule, there were times Uconn or others finished a little lower, but it was because of their schedule.  Just my two cents.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »
They do have a tough schedule, but I like their experience more than anything.  I think they are the 3rd best team in the conference, doesn't mean they will finish 3rd.  Much like the Old Big East with unbalanced schedule, there were times Uconn or others finished a little lower, but it was because of their schedule.  Just my two cents.

That comment shows how good MU really was 07-13.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »
That comment shows how good MU really was 07-13.

05-13

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 02:17:16 PM »
Remember when I thought Iowa was bad? Lol. I'll call myself out for being an idiot.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »

You were the dude that constantly trashed Buzz for his conference records, even when the imbalanced schedule was pointed out to you countless times. Just my two cents.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »
You were the dude that constantly trashed Buzz for his conference records, even when the imbalanced schedule was pointed out to you countless times. Just my two cents.

Excuse me?  I bashed him ONE YEAR for his conference record in the old Big East.  In the new Big East, you're damn right I did and so did many.  What a joke of a coaching job his last year was.  Reminded me of what I saw today with his team at home against West Virginia.

Otherwise, produce the evidence. The search function is alive and well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 07:20:25 PM »

I may have UNDERVALUED them.  Could be #1 in the Big Ten

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 07:33:50 PM »
Reminder of how the crazy guy talked in September........

Iowa is very good and has lots of experience at the top of their lineup

Don't sleep on Dale Jones either (Jimmy & Joe's JUCO).

Uthoff, Woodbury, Gesell, Clemmons all seniors with experience...

Jok and Uhl have gotten a good taste.

My boi Andrew Fleming comes into the fold this year as a frosh..

...oh yeah, and Brady.

Tough team. If they stay healthy they can impress in the Big Ten.

Many had them at #9 in the Big Ten. Laughable and indicative of how bad major media prognosticators are.

(but I also had MSU as #1 in the Big Ten.. MSU, Iowa, Maryland)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »
Yea, #9 was ridiculous.  I had them at #3, but they are playing really well at this point. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
Iowa has good upperclassmen at every position, and a few on the bench, too. A couple of the starters are borderline elite. They play well together, do all the "little things," and plenty of the big things, as well. A very enjoyable team to watch.

In some respects, they are the ideal team for a coach: a bunch of upperclassmen who were not quite good enough to leave early for the NBA but are still very good college players. In that respect, they remind me a little of the Illinois team that went to the 2005 title game; they don't have a Deron Williams (who was a 3-year starter for Illinois), but they have a lot of good, intelligent players who know their roles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 11:42:08 PM »
Reminder of how the crazy guy talked in September........

Many had them at #9 in the Big Ten. Laughable and indicative of how bad major media prognosticators are.

Who had them at #9? I'll admit they have been better than I thought, but I thought they were a borderline top 25 team to start the season.

feedback