[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Amin/Heldt  (Read 7914 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Amin/Heldt
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
If it is fair to assume that fouling will increase with the better competition in the Big East, should Wojo have made more of an effort to get Amin and Heldt more playing time in our weak cupcake schedule?

If we see a time when they are forced to play becasue of foul trouble, more minutes against the Chicago States and Presbyterians of the world could have only helped.

Thoughts?

tower912

• All American
Re: Amin/Heldt
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »
See other threads.   Yes. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
Comment--I previously stated that I could see Anim transferring.I hope not. Heldt and Anim are not getting big game time. Both have D-1 talent. I think Anim could be an exceptional talent. Hopefully
for us next year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:38:21 PM »
If it is fair to assume that fouling will increase with the better competition in the Big East, should Wojo have made more of an effort to get Amin and Heldt more playing time in our weak cupcake schedule?

If we see a time when they are forced to play becasue of foul trouble, more minutes against the Chicago States and Presbyterians of the world could have only helped.

Thoughts?

You develop in practices and individual workouts - not during games - unless your team is writing the year off.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 09:41:07 PM »
No. Playing another 20 minutes in non-conference would of not made much difference to either player. While I still have hope for the future for Heldt, it is clear to me he should of red shirted this year. I really do not see Anim playing ahead of the other top 6 players, if Henry and Fischer got in foul trouble. The team as a whole does not foul much, so a few more fouls in Big East are not necessarily going to mean much.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »
Comment--I previously stated that I could see Anim transferring.I hope not. Heldt and Anim are not getting big game time. Both have D-1 talent. I think Anim could be an exceptional talent. Hopefully
for us next year.

Anim is good friends with a 2017 big we have offered Theo John. In a recent article John said " I have a close friend on the team.....I like what I'm hearing"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 10:13:41 PM »
No. Playing another 20 minutes in non-conference would of not made much difference to either player. While I still have hope for the future for Heldt, it is clear to me he should of red shirted this year. I really do not see Anim playing ahead of the other top 6 players, if Henry and Fischer got in foul trouble. The team as a whole does not foul much, so a few more fouls in Big East are not necessarily going to mean much.

Is it too late for him to red-shirt?  Anyone know what the cut-off is?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 10:15:58 PM »
You can't redshirt once you play unless you get injured.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »
No. With a young team it is more important to get the 8 man rotation time playing together than to get the bench some run.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 11:11:12 PM »

As long as you logged a second in game (barring injury) you can not red shirt that year. I have no idea why wojo didn't redshirt him when hes made it clear he will not see meaningful minutes this year.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 11:22:52 PM »
You develop in practices and individual workouts - not during games - unless your team is writing the year off.

No. With a young team it is more important to get the 8 man rotation time playing together than to get the bench some run.

These are topics that are discussed every year.  Not everyone can play...just not enough minutes.  Typically, the top 8 get 95%+ of the minutes.  Rotation is determined in practice as coaches see how players react in different scenarios and you can tell which player gets it. Every year, recruits get overly hyped and then don't play as much as fans expect.  That kicks off the message board debates on what player is in the dog house, going to transfer or needs a run to show they can do it.  At the end of the day,  it all comes down to the available minutes.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 04:48:43 AM »

Thoughts?

Maybe if he had played more you would know Sacar's last name.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 06:43:44 AM »

Thank you! Anim is 4 letters long, and yet I still see it spelled wrong here about 1/4 of the time.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 06:53:49 AM »

There is no cutoff and there is no action of "redshirting." A redshirt is simply a description of someone who was eligible but didn't play during the year - not even ONE SECOND. Since he's played at least one second, it's not possible that he'll be a redshirt this year.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 08:02:02 AM »

I just keep assuming people are talking about our lesser-known walk-on, Kaaleed (El) Amin, distant twelfth cousin of the old UConn star.

If Anim and Heldt end up logging meaningful minutes because of fouls, I highly doubt that an extra 4-5 minutes against San Jose State in December will be what makes the difference for them. I have every confidence they are getting reps in practice and the staff is working with them to make sure if/when they are needed, they will be as ready as possible.

The lack of redshirts tells me that while their minutes may be sporadic, the staff anticipates times when we will see foul trouble for our regular rotation guys that forces them into the lineup. They'll practice every day to prepare for those moments. If they are needed for extended run, it will likely be in a game we probably aren't going to win anyway.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »

While his eligibility has been discussed, I'll simply disagree with your assertion. We aren't making it through the season with Matt relegated to street clothes.  He's 9th man and 3rd big for crying out loud.  He's not 12th man and 4th big.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 08:34:33 AM »
Why does anyone expect anything out a freshman wing who has an RSCI of 285 (Sacar) or a freshman big (slower learning curve typically) with a RSCI of 120?

What in their pedigree indicated that they would contribute in year 1?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 08:50:03 AM »
Why does anyone expect anything out a freshman wing who has an RSCI of 285 (Sacar) or a freshman big (slower learning curve typically) with a RSCI of 120?

The notion that since they're part of a stud recruiting class, they must be stud recruits.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 08:52:01 AM »

Precisely this.  We are wining in the Big East on an 8 man rotation, you want to optimize that in the non-conference. No matter how much run Anim and Heldt would have gotten in the non-con they would not have been able to contribute more than 2 or 3 minutes a game in conference play unless we have significant injuries(which would end the season anyway).

Besides Heisenburgs assumption that fouling will go up in BE play is not a certainty.  It might but it's not like we had 3 or 4 players on the cusp of fouling out in the LSU, ASU, Belmont or Iowa games.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »
Precisely this.  We are wining in the Big East on an 8 man rotation, you want to optimize that in the non-conference. No matter how much run Anim and Heldt would have gotten in the non-con they would not have been able to contribute more than 2 or 3 minutes a game in conference play unless we have significant injuries(which would end the season anyway).

Besides Heisenburgs assumption that fouling will go up in BE play is not a certainty.  It might but it's not like we had 3 or 4 players on the cusp of fouling out in the LSU (2 fouled out, 3 with 4 fouls), ASU (Luke fouled out, 2 with 4 fouls), Belmont (2 with 4 fouls, 2 with 3 fouls) or Iowa (were never competitive, so hard to know if we would've been more aggressive/fouled more, but Luke did foul out) games.

Well...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 09:07:05 AM »
It is not fouling out that I am concerned with.  It is Luke's 2nd foul in the first half with 8 min left.  That will happen.  If you go small and move HE to the #5- we may be exposing HE to more fouls as well.

I am quite confident that there will be games when foul trouble becomes an issue.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 09:18:25 AM »
Anim is good friends with a 2017 big we have offered Theo John. In a recent article John said " I have a close friend on the team.....I like what I'm hearing"

I was going to post this as well. It sounds like Anim was not fed any lines about playing time by Wojo. Came in with a very clear view of his role and has stated as much.

That said, I really think he is going to blossom into a great player for this program.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 09:22:06 AM »
I was going to post this as well. It sounds like Anim was not fed any lines about playing time by Wojo. Came in with a very clear view of his role and has stated as much.

That said, I really think he is going to blossom into a great player for this program.
[/u]

I agree, and I think it will be Sooner than Later.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »

Exactly.

It's the "backup QB syndrome."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 09:41:51 AM »
Thank you! Anim is 4 letters long, and yet I still see it spelled wrong here about 1/4 of the time.

So ... O'tule was here for six years and Outle was continuously spelled wrong.  How hard is it to spell Otule?

feedback