Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Concerns entering conference season  (Read 4366 times)

tower912

• All American
Concerns entering conference season
« on: December 29, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
1.  Lack of minutes so far for Heldt and Amin.   Foul trouble is coming.  Which segues into....
2.  Who guards the widebody 4's when Henry inevitably gets into foul trouble?
3.  How will Traci hold up against the elite guards in the league?
4.   How will MU handle pressure from good teams when Traci gets into foul trouble?
5.  Who is going to lead when Henry is sitting on the bench in foul trouble?
6.   Defense?   When is Wojo going to get buy-in on the defensive end?
7.  Third rebounder. 
8.  Lack of motion on offense from perimeter players. 

The answer to several of these questions is for JJ, Duane, and Sandy to step up and play like they have been through the league grind before.  The league is really good, there are no off nights, and somebody has to take the lead and show this team how to grind out wins. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenZebra

• All American
Re: Concerns entering conference season
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
All great points. I cant honestly feel super excited about the win streak, because honestly the teams MU played are nowhere near the level of competition that the BE offers. Ill wait to see what the team looks like a couple games in. Heck, wednesday might be a good enough indicator.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:31:06 PM »
The team learned how to win by beating cupcakes. To their credit, beating LSU, ASU, and Wisconsin are at least competent, high-major opposition, but at the end of regulation in those games, we were a combined +3, so it's not like we coasted at all.

What worries me is that we looked lackluster in the last two home games. Maybe it was because we played poor competition for a long time and the team knew they could somewhat mail the effort in, but maybe it was because those teams scouted us better. If that's the case, I'm a bit worried about what happens when we start to see veteran Big East teams in the next week.

I'm hoping for a 3-1 start from this team. Expecting 2-2, but wouldn't be surprised by 1-3, which would definitely mean we need to improve and fast.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »
Maybe it was because we played poor competition for a long time and the team knew they could somewhat mail the effort in, but maybe it was because those teams scouted us better.

I didn't like the effort on Sunday either but then I started to think.  These guys all went home right after the Monday game.  There are a lot of freshman for whom this was their first trip home.  Then with Christmas on a Friday they certainly didn't travel until Saturday.  Guys like Haanif and JJ probably weren't back until later on Saturday.  Then you have maybe 1 or 2 short practices to get ready for a 1 PM game Sunday.  They probably weren't mentally back from Christmas.  Now they've had 3 days to become basketball focused and a Coach who wasn't pleased with the effort.  I'm hopeful they'll come out intense Wed night.  By the same token I'm hopeful that SH is rusty for the first 10 minutes having not played since before Christmas.  Lets get a lead and hold them down.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »
1.  Lack of minutes so far for Heldt and Amin.   Foul trouble is coming.  Which segues into....
4.   How will MU handle pressure from good teams when Traci gets into foul trouble?
7.  Third rebounder. 

The answer to several of these questions is for JJ, Duane, and Sandy to step up and play like they have been through the league grind before.  The league is really good, there are no off nights, and somebody has to take the lead and show this team how to grind out wins.

All very legitimate concerns, and the first 5 games will tell the tale I believe.  I do think Sandy and Duane will step up respectively to really contribute on both ends of the floor.  I think Duane and Haanif can be acceptable in getting the ball up the court should Traci be in foul trouble/not playing well.  Not sure a lot of teams in the BE will press but we'll see.

I really do think Wojo's be experimenting with these guys so that comes to an end and we'll see what the permanent solution looks like. I think we go 2-0 to start conference.....but from there I need to think on it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »
a)  Sandy - our best defensive player
a)  we all know the answer, the real question is "how bad can it be/will it get"
a)  see answer to #3
a)  Sandy
a) Sandy
7.  Third rebounder. 
a) Sandy / JJJ
a) Sandy / JJJ
These guys need to step up!

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »

My concern is Luke Will have to be Stronger & Tougher on his Finishes, Big difference between him and Henry.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

jsheim

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »

These two items strike me.
1. If Wojo  subs well (and I think he will)...Heldt and others can cover decent "hold the fort" minutes to spell the Henry/HenryLuke/Luke rotation...and avoid the fouls in the first place.

3. And we don't have another point do we. I think we will lose a game to a good pressing team because of this. That's our lot...

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »

My concern is Luke Will have to be Stronger & Tougher on his Finishes, Big difference between him and Henry.

You beat me to this point.  Luke can play much better be dominant, but he needs more fire in his game.  Hopefully, someone elbows him in the chops and wakes him up.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »
You beat me to this point.  Luke can play much better be dominant, but he needs more fire in his game.  Hopefully, someone elbows him in the chops and wakes him up.

I don't buy the "more fire" bit. Luke plays hard, but he mostly plays below the rim.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »
Nattering nabobs of negativism. All of you!

We have the most talented team we've had in a long time. Yes, we ate a bit too much sugar. But I suspect either LSU or Wisconsin would overall fare reasonably well in our conference. Maybe Wisconsin less so now with Bo gone buteven so this game was not easy and they won't be an easy out in BIG play.

Let's face it. We have very good players in our starting five. Our bench is a bit shallow at the power forward/center positions, but we have strong depth at the guard and shooting forward position. I agree that JJJ, Duane and Wally probably will have to step up against tough competition.

We are way too freshmen (thanks Hillbilly for the gift that keeps on giving) . We will make mistakes. Our coach is young but shows incredible promise and the improvement of the team since Iowa should not be underestimated. We will lose games we should have won. And, God willing, we will win games we should lose too. Are you listening Villanova, Xavier, Butler and Georgetown? I'll bet their coaches are taking us seriously!

We'll get there. I still think we're a viable NCAA team, but we will have to take care of business.

As for you nabobs, I am sure glad the internet wasn't commercially around in 1977 (notwithstanding Al Gore's claim that he invented it). I can only imagine what would have happened after we lost to Louisville after Al announced his retirement or when we lost to Wichita State in our last home game of 1977.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »
I don't buy the "more fire" bit. Luke plays hard, but he mostly plays below the rim.

I agree that he tries hard.  I don't think that he's at all lackadaisical. Yet, against Presby he was missing bunnies and was playing too carefully - probably to avoid fouling.  What I want to see from him is more assertion.  He started last season like gangbusters when he became eligible at semester break.  Maybe he was psyched from having to watch from the bench for the first semester.  It seems to me that he needs to get out of his head and start trying to kick butt, not just try to play well.  Then again, assertive players usually don't transfer due to homesickness.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
It seems to me that he needs to get out of his head and start trying to kick butt, not just try to play well.

I agree with this.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 04:27:20 PM »
Nattering nabobs of negativism. All of you!

Let's face it. We have very good players in our starting five.

As for you nabobs, I am sure glad the internet wasn't commercially around in 1977 (notwithstanding Al Gore's claim that he invented it). I can only imagine what would have happened after we lost to Louisville after Al announced his retirement or when we lost to Wichita State in our last home game of 1977.

One of the all time great political quotes from an exceptional politician - exceptional for being the only Vice-President to resign from office due to criminal charges.

I don't agree about having very good players in our starting five.  PG is a weakness.  Traci Carter likely will be very good some day, but I don' think he's there yet - he just happens to be our best option at this point.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 04:37:36 PM »

Yup! Our white guys can't jump. The undersized Blue Hose were killing us under the basket.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »

We have very good players in our starting five.

We are starting 3 freshmen as we enter conference play.   One is a lottery pick.   The other two are erratic.   Take out the twin towers.    Which of the other 3 starters start for any other team in the Big East?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »
We are starting 3 freshmen as we enter conference play.   One is a lottery pick.   The other two are erratic.   Take out the twin towers.    Which of the other 3 starters start for any other team in the Big East?

Sandy probably could. Plays defense and stretches the floor.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »
Sandy probably could. Plays defense and stretches the floor.

Maybe.   What other team needs a glue guy at the 3?

Class71

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »
I think we  all agree this team has not been tested. First test is SH. It will be the first real indication where this team is going. Don't worry, we will know soon enough. Look at the games we play by Jan. 16. Our season will either be on the fast track up or on its way to, "wait until next year" land.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:37:30 PM by Class71 »
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »
Maybe.   What other team needs a glue guy at the 3?

Talking bottom feeders or top 5 teams? Cause Depaul and St. Johns could use all the help they can get. Seton Hall, Creighton and even Georgetown too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
Talking bottom feeders or top 5 teams? Cause Depaul and St. Johns could use all the help they can get. Seton Hall, Creighton and even Georgetown too.
They need lead scorers.  Does Sandy fill that role?  BTW, I think he can before he graduates.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »
They need lead scorers.  Does Sandy fill that role?  BTW, I think he can before he graduates.
let's not forget we have a very good 6 and 7 coming off the bench and one of those Frosh starters is in name only not minutes.  Doesn't address the fact that those two are 2ish/3guard lines but by the middle of BE play other fan bases will be saying "wish we had 2 starters coming off the bench"

<insert emoji with blue and gold glasses>

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 05:54:09 PM »
One of the all time great political quotes from an exceptional politician - exceptional for being the only Vice-President to resign from office due to criminal charges.

We love our Spiro. Probably the biggest reason no one ever dared take a shot at Richard Nixon!

Let's see where things go. I agree, we'll know soon enough.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 06:00:28 PM »
Why take our 2 best players out of the equation?  Of course we aren't very good if we don't have the best PF and the best C in the BE on our team.  But we do.

You can say that about just about any team in the country.  Take away 2 potential First Team All Conference players from a team and guess what?  That team becomes a lot worse.

Our 6th man would be starting on almost any team in this conference.

We'll have ups.  We'll have downs.  We'll battle it out for 3rd-5th in the conference.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:02:24 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »
Why take our 2 best players out of the equation?  Of course we aren't very good if we don't have the best PF and the best C in the BE on our team.  But we do.

You can say that about just about any team in the country.  Take away 2 potential First Team All Conference players from a team and guess what?  That team becomes a lot worse.

Our 6th man would be starting on almost any team in this conference.

We'll have ups.  We'll have downs.  We'll battle it out for 3rd-5th in the conference.

Bentil is better than Fischer this year. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback