[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The top 11 candidates so far for Player of the Year in college basketball  (Read 4055 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
They are listed in order below.

Valentine is the consensus pick right now BUT he had minor knee surgery and is out.  Last I heard no timetable on his return has been given (just a vague "couple of weeks") or how much this will set him back.

For now the consensus pick that is still playing is Kris Dunn of Providence.  If he wins it that makes two of the last three from the Big East (joining Doug McDermott of Creighton two years ago).  Additionally, if Dunn wins that makes MU the only team to play against the NPOY the last three years in a row (last year's winner, Frank Kaminsky of Wisconsin, only had one game against a Big East team, MU).

Prior to this run, the last NPOY MU played against was Kenton Martin (Cincy) in 1999-2000. And before that was Mark Aguirre of Depaul in 1979 - 1980.

For the record, in 1977 Butch Lee of MU was NPOY.

The top 11 candidates so far for Player of the Year in college basketball
December 24, 2015 10:30 am ET

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25425595/the-top-11-candidates-so-far-for-player-of-the-year-in-college-basketball

College basketball's nonconference slate is about 95 percent finished. We've already got a few conferences beginning league play, while the rest of the sport will finish up with its out-of-league slate over the next few days.

With that in mind, and with it being Christmas Eve, we wanted to hand out some presents and let you know what you might have missed from the beginning of the season. Drive-by fans of the sport will surely know a few of the names on this list, while the diehards will no doubt be happy to see a couple of surprise entrants near the bottom. It's been a fun season so far.

We don't have any outrageous inclusions, guys who were completely off the grid before the season started. Every player listed in this story appeared on our eminent preseason list of the top 101 players in the sport. In fact, six of the studs who cracked the top 10 back then are named below.

The best players in the sport through the first six weeks are a terrific blend of guys we expected to be here with varying styles of play. Each position is covered, as is the entire country. From Michigan to Rhode Island to Utah to Oregon, college hoops' 2015-16 MVPs hail from all corners of the country. If you're curious about those who didn't make the list, just know that guys at Kansas, Duke, North Carolina and Louisville are getting close to crashing the party.

1. Denzel Valentine, senior, Michigan State

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 13

Signature performance: Valentine put up a triple-double against fourth-ranked Kansas back on Nov. 17 at the Champions Classic. In a way, he's been in command of the top spot for the national POY ever since he did the Jayhawks for 29 points, 12 rebounds and 12 assists.

Case file: Valentine is averaging 18.5 points, 8.3 rebounds, 7.1 assists and is shooting 40 percent from long range. He's holding onto the top spot here despite the fact he'll be out of commission for a couple of weeks due to minor knee surgery to repair cartilage. Michigan State's off to the best start in school history, and it's almost entirely because of Valentine. College hoops junkies knew he was a versatile player, but with how he's reshaped his body and increased his effectiveness at every level, Valentine's become the most valuable player in the sport and certainly among the most watchable. He could wind up with five triple-doubles by the end of the season and it wouldn't be shocking.

2. Kris Dunn, redshirt junior, Providence

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 1

Signature performance: Dunn opened the season with 32 points, eight steals, six rebounds, five assists and two blocks in PC's 76-64 win against Harvard.

Case file: Dunn is averaging 16.5 points, 7.3 assists and 6.1 rebounds for a Providence team that wasn't expected to be this good. In fact, we at CBSSports.com would have had Dunn as our Preseason National Player of the Year if we had confidence that the Friars would easily reach the NCAA Tournament. Hard to believe now, but heading into the season there was concern Dunn's teammates wouldn't be able to carry the group to a third straight bid. Now the Friars are 11-1 and in the top 10 of the AP poll for the first time in almost four decades. Dunn has lived up to the hype. He might be No. 1 on our list if not for missing a couple of games due to illness earlier this month.

3. Buddy Hield, senior, Oklahoma

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 3

Signature performance: In Oklahoma's season-opener, the Sooners played on the road against Memphis. Hield started his 2015-16 POY campaign with 30 points, eight rebounds, three assists, three steals and a pair of blocks on 4-of-8 shooting from deep.

Case file: Hield is averaging 24.0 points, 5.1 rebounds and is shooting 53 percent from 3-point range. At 10-0, Oklahoma is the No. 1 team in KenPom and owns a defining 23-point win against Villanova. The Sooners' gut-it-out victory at Hawaii on Wednesday night was surprisingly riveting. Hield came up big, notching his fourth straight game wherein he scored at least 25 point. Hield falls at No. 3 instead of No. 2 because, on the whole, he doesn't do quite as much and hasn't proven to be as completely vital as the two above him. But don't get me wrong: He was my pick in October to win national POY. I still think that's how this race will finish.

4. Georges Niang, senior, Iowa State

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 8

Signature performance: Niang was a catalyst (16 points, six rebounds, five assists, two blocks, two steals) in the most impressive comeback in college basketball so far this season, keying Iowa State's 20-point rally at home to topple hated in-state foe Iowa. Niang's postgame quotes are some of the best I've seen from a college basketball player on a rivalry in a long time. ISU should etch them in granite and place the stones about campus.

Case file: Niang is averaging 19.2 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and shooting 40 percent from beyond the arc. He and Monte Morris have pushed the Cyclones to a 10-1 start. Niang was a preseason first-teamer in the eyes of many. He hasn't done anything to shove me off that belief. Being a player of the year candidate means your team has to win, and win a lot. It's not everything, but it's a lot of things. That's why Niang is ahead of the No. 5 player on this list.

5. Ben Simmons, freshman, LSU

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 2

Signature performance: The freshman phenom seems like he's a threat to notch a triple-double any time he steps on the floor, but the reality is he hasn't done it yet. His best overall game came against North Florida on Dec. 2. Simmons finished with 43 points, 14 rebounds, seven assists, five steals and three blocks. On the whole, it's the most impressive game from anyone so far in college hoops this season.

Case file: Simmons is averaging 19.1 points, 13.1 rebounds and 5.8 assists. If you've been following my Freshman of the Year Watch, you know Simmons has had the No. 1 spot on lock from the get-go. LSU is at 7-4 and has been very inconsistent. If the Tigers start to win some games against the top of the SEC, Simmons will almost surely be producing at a similar clip that he is now, which means his player of the year campaign will shoot right up to the top spot. Let's just see how the next two weeks go for LSU.

6. Jakob Poeltl, sophomore, Utah

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 14

Signature performance: In Utah's coveted 83-75 home victory over in-state rival BYU on Dec. 2, Poeltl went for 26 points, 13 rebounds, five blocks and shot 69 percent.

Case file: Poeltl is averaging 18.0 points, 9.7 rebounds and 2.2 blocks. He's the No. 1 player in PER at the moment, something that might well be his crown by season's end. You'll see that Simmons and Hield are right on his heels, though. For Poeltl, it's all the more impressive to see him be this much in the thick of it, considering Utah lost Delon Wright from last season's team. It's true that Wright did a lot on his own, but now that Poeltl's the 1a, 1b and 1c on every scouting report, he's still getting his. And his shot is now in play from two to 22 feet.

7. Melo Trimble, sophomore, Maryland

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 7

Signature performance: Trimble did all he could in Maryland's 89-81 loss at UNC on Dec. 1. The sophomore stud had 29 points and 12 assists -- but got his team into trouble by coughing it over eight times. Turnovers don't plague Trimble, but they are undoubtedly something he still hasn't mastered cleaning up.

Case file: Trimble is averaging 15.0 points, 5.7 assists and 1.6 steals on 52-percent shooting. His line isn't knock-you-off-your-seat good, but he is absolutely a player that must be watched in full to understand his consequence to the team. Maryland is 10-1 and fighting with Michigan State and Purdue for the right to be the Big Ten's most feared team. Trimble's style, gumption and floor ability have all improved. He's got the most variance of any player on this list. Could realistically see him being as high as No. 2 or completely off the radar within the next three weeks.

Melo Trimble has kept Maryland in the national conversation and near the top of the polls. (USATSI)

8. A.J. Hammons, senior, Purdue

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 43

Signature performance: His most recent one. In Purdue's home romp over Vanderbilt and fellow projected first-rounder Damian Jones, Hammons took it to the Commodores to the tune of 21 points, 10 rebounds and seven blocks.

Case file: Hammons is averaging 13.3 points, 8.2 rebounds, 2.9 blocks and is shooting 62 percent. You can make the argument that Purdue hasn't been this good overall since the 1990s. And while Purdue's has some pretty good players since Gene Keady's prime, nobody down low has been as viable for that program as Hammons is since ... Glenn Robinson? Seems like it. Hammons has continued to improve, and he's the rare case of a big man who's going to be taken in the first round, yet needed four years of college to do so ... and was an unknown on the national level for the first three seasons. Now he's playing like the second or third best big man in the country and Purdue has designs on a super nice tourney seed.

9. Malcolm Brogdon, senior, Virginia

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 9

Signature performance: Ironically, it came in Virginia's only loss. George Washinton beat UVa back on Nov. 16; Brogdon finished with 28 points, eight boards, four dimes and two steals.

Case file: Brogdon is averaging 16.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists. He is the central figure to Virginia's offense, which now ranks No. 2 in the country in efficiency. That's right: UVA's winning more because of its offense than its defense. And the Wahoos got an uncomfortably close and undeniably dramatic home victory in OT against Cal on Tuesday night. Brogdon has helped UVA take three straight wins that no other team in the country can match over the past two weeks: wins against ranked West Virginia and Nova, and then toppling talented California.

10. Gary Payton II, senior, Oregon State

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 38

Signature performance: There are a lot of candidates, but I'll go with this one: 77-69 win at Rice on Nov. 19. Payton's line: 19 points, seven assists, six steals, five rebounds on 8-of-11 shooting.

Case file: The Mitten is averaging 16.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.5 steals. The reigning Pac-12 defensive player of the year is having an amazing senior season, one that will see him rise on this list of OSU can start beating the goods of the Pac-12. GP2 is putting up a line that's mostly unprecedented in college basketball over the previous three decades. To be this well-rounded is not normal, and we're way past due to give this guy some love.

11. Kay Felder, junior, Oakland

Rank on our preseason top 101 list: 73

Signature performance: It came Tuesday night, against the No. 1 team the country. Felder had 37 points, nine assists and three rebounds -- and almost willed his team to a win over shorthanded Michigan State.

Case file: Felder is averaging 26.9 points, 8.9 assists, 4.5 rebounds and shooting 40 percent from 3-point range. His points average is second-best in the country to Howard's James Daniel (28.4), while his assists average is college basketball's best by almost one full assist per game. (Milwaukee's Jordan Johnson is putting up 8.0 per game, good enough for second in the country.) My colleague, Gary Parrish, wrote a nice profile on Felder earlier this week. There's a good story there. Considering no player has ever ended the season leading the nation in points and assists, and the fact that Felder is flirting with that right now, we had to include him here.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:24:30 AM by Heisenberg »

MU82

• All American
Re: The top 11 candidates so far for Player of the Year in college basketball
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »
Lotsa seniors and juniors on that list.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »
The Freshman and Soph opt for that other award ... lottery pick.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »
The Freshman and Soph opt for that other award ... lottery pick.

True dat.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
ben simmons??  puhleeeeze??  typically, one of the characteristics is making those around you better-heyna?  they haven't played anyone yet either.  nc state held him to 4 pts. charleston, houston and the perrenially powerrful gardner-webb held him to the low teens.  i know he's just a freshman, but...

ok. i know this is the homer in me, but if simmons is going to be mentioned, then shouldn't  whatshisname also deserve a mention??   in a way, and this is purely selfish, but shhhhhhhh...i want another year outa him-heyna so fellas?  i said mention
don't...don't don't don't don't

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 05:11:37 PM »
ben simmons??  puhleeeeze??  typically, one of the characteristics is making those around you better-heyna?  they haven't played anyone yet either.  nc state held him to 4 pts. charleston, houston and the perrenially powerrful gardner-webb held him to the low teens.  i know he's just a freshman, but...

ok. i know this is the homer in me, but if simmons is going to be mentioned, then shouldn't  whatshisname also deserve a mention??   in a way, and this is purely selfish, but shhhhhhhh...i want another year outa him-heyna so fellas?  i said mention

Simmons has gone from 1 to 5 on the list in the last few weeks.  He working his way off it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »
AJ Hammons has played baby minutes. Missed a couple games (SUSPENSION) and has been over 21 minutes played twice the entire season.

Dunn is fun to watch but Providence is overrated as of today (top 10? THEM? pffft) and his ORtg (110) is limited by inability to shoot from outside. Great player, but any measurement of POY doesn't get me to him being a top 1 or 2 guy.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 12:30:08 AM »
Thanks for posting this - I went through to compare the preseason All-American team I published and Value Add projections to compare.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/11/09/kris-dunn-leads-breitbart-sports-basketball-american-team/

1. Denzel Valentine, senior, Michigan State - my 2nd team All-American

2. Kris Dunn, redshirt junior, Providence - my POY

3. Buddy Hield, senior, Oklahoma - my 1st team All-American

4. Georges Niang, senior, Iowa State - Monte Morris was actually the top projected Value Add player and nudged just ahead of Niang - the other half of Iowa State's great duo

5. Ben Simmons, freshman, LSU - my 1st team All-American

6. Jakob Poeltl, sophomore, Utah - my 2nd team All-American

7. Melo Trimble, sophomore, Maryland - my 2nd team All-American just because I went by position and Dunn was 1st team PG

8. A.J. Hammons, senior, Purdue - projected just 142nd http://valueaddbasketball.com/ballall.html

9. Malcolm Brogdon, senior, Virginia - my 3rd team All-American

10. Gary Payton II, senior, Oregon State - Projected No. 2 player in Value Add and was No. 4 player last year - so glad people no longer think I'm crazy!

11. Kay Felder, junior, Oakland - projected him 101st at http://valueaddbasketball.com/ballall.html

The players on my All-American 1st or 2nd team that are not on the current Top 11 in this article are:

1st team
Kyle Wiltjer   Gonzaga   PF   6’10   854   4
Skal Labissiere   Kentucky   C   6’11   848   5

2nd team
Ron Baker   Wichita St.   SG   6’4   811   11
Jaylen Brown   California   PF   6’7   820   9

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25425595/the-top-11-candidates-so-far-for-player-of-the-year-in-college-basketball
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 06:37:42 AM »
Dunn is fun to watch but Providence is overrated as of today (top 10? THEM? pffft) and his ORtg (110) is limited by inability to shoot from outside. Great player, but any measurement of POY doesn't get me to him being a top 1 or 2 guy.

I think for Dunn, it's that he does so much so well, and honestly, that Providence is in the top-10. I agree that they are probably undeserving of that ranking, but they are there largely by Kris Dunn's force of will. Look at the games without him, they struggled to put Boston College away when he got injured, were trailing at the half against a miserable Bryant team, and took awhile with Rider as well.

Granted, Dunn does have flaws (outside shooting noted) but his assist rate last year and this year are the second and third highest in the country in the past decade. He's incredible at stealing the ball and making plays in transition. Take him away from PC and they're not even considered for the top-25, much less the top-10. NPOY? I don't know, but probably the most valuable player to his team in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 07:52:31 AM »
is gary payton II(oregon) "the gloves" son?  hopefully inherited his basketball skills minus the attitude
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 09:33:13 AM »
Henry. Period.

When he's a 20-10 man for the national champion Warriors, people won't be snickering!

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
is gary payton II(oregon) "the gloves" son?  hopefully inherited his basketball skills minus the attitude

Yes he is, and when I was in Oregon with some Oregon State alums a few months ago and mentioned Gary Payton  ii projected as my No. 2, I was surprised at some volunteered criticism of his Dad.

Shoot, if Doc's kids had come to MU they could have done no wrong in my eyes - just like Marotta today.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 11:58:33 AM »
I think for Dunn, it's that he does so much so well, and honestly, that Providence is in the top-10. I agree that they are probably undeserving of that ranking, but they are there largely by Kris Dunn's force of will. Look at the games without him, they struggled to put Boston College away when he got injured

I agreed 100% preseason - thought this was an NIT team wasting a POY candidate.

I actually have been stunned that the rest of the team has been decent both in the Arizona game and in the games when Dunn got sick - and I think that experience may prove just enough to give Dunn just enough support to be really good after all.

feedback