* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Ryan Story  (Read 129055 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Bo Ryan Story
« Reply #325 on: March 06, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »
Is there more to the story?   More than likely.   Here's the thing; outside of a small subset of humanity, nobody cares.    The only way 'the rest of the story' gets out is if there is an independent investigation that discovers some official misappropriation of state funds.    Beyond that, as much as I wish it were otherwise, as much as I detested the man and the program, as hypocritical and misguided as that fanbase is, an old guy had an affair with a couple of younger women.   It has been acknowledged.    We are never going to get to see Bo get the comeuppance we all think he deserves.   

The bigger story is that this is hardly the only UW coach \ administrator that has been doing this over the years.  They have some serious issues with this stuff in the athletic department from the highest profiled employees for the last 5 years. 

All the while telling their student athletes to be loyal.....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #326 on: March 06, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »
You mean like Barry's penchant for the ladies, the former football coaches rumored peccadilloes  and the guy hitting on the athletes at the Rose Bowl?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #327 on: March 06, 2016, 09:31:48 PM »
He said he's on our side, so I'm convinced.

He's as much a Marquette grad as mutaman

Death on call

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #328 on: March 06, 2016, 10:40:22 PM »
Is there more to the story?   More than likely.   Here's the thing; outside of a small subset of humanity, nobody cares.    The only way 'the rest of the story' gets out is if there is an independent investigation that discovers some official misappropriation of state funds.    Beyond that, as much as I wish it were otherwise, as much as I detested the man and the program, as hypocritical and misguided as that fanbase is, an old guy had an affair with a couple of younger women.   It has been acknowledged.    We are never going to get to see Bo get the comeuppance we all think he deserves.

What it took for this story to break:

1) The affair ended badly
2) The woman wasn't satisfied with that
3) She felt strongly enough to contact the university, likely knowing that the affair and her name would become public, and that she had nothing to gain materially
4) University officials believed there was enough to her allegations to launch an investigation (which apparently at least the Journal Sentinel was aware of but didn't report on at the time)
5) Points 3 and 4 above became public record
6) Word of the investigation got out
7) Deadspin thought there was enough to the story to dig deeper and file a public records request
8) Deadspin's impending story made this legitimate news in the eyes of other media

Bo Ryan may have had other affairs in the past. But unless one or more additional women come forward and there's some kind of wrongdoing on his part as an employee of the UW system, I doubt we'll hear more.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2016, 08:57:20 AM »
The irony of this story and the character it reveals in the administration of UW and the fanbase is priceless.

First, don't care about the affair itself, personal choice. I wouldn't be a party to such things, but if people choose to, whatever, that's there thing doesn't matter to me. However the mistress that came forward accused Bo of A) misuse of state funds B) mistreating her. Why was there little to no investigation into the mistreatment? If this same set of circumstances had occurred to Tom Izzo or Urban Meyer, the fanbase would have been hooting and hollering for me investigation, especially the mistreatment part. If this had been a regular old professor at Madison, he probably gets some sort of reprimand at a minimum.

At the end of the day, played out the way I thought it would, everything is going to be swept under the rug and we move on. Not going to worry about it, but it will be a nice little chip to play the next time the "we do things the right way" Madison crowd gets to clucking.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #330 on: March 07, 2016, 08:59:42 AM »
An employer can't reprimand someone for lying to their mistress.  That's why they only focused on the misuse of state money.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #331 on: March 07, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »
The irony of this story and the character it reveals in the administration of UW and the fanbase is priceless.

First, don't care about the affair itself, personal choice. I wouldn't be a party to such things, but if people choose to, whatever, that's there thing doesn't matter to me. However the mistress that came forward accused Bo of A) misuse of state funds B) mistreating her. Why was there little to no investigation into the mistreatment? If this same set of circumstances had occurred to Tom Izzo or Urban Meyer, the fanbase would have been hooting and hollering for me investigation, especially the mistreatment part. If this had been a regular old professor at Madison, he probably gets some sort of reprimand at a minimum.

At the end of the day, played out the way I thought it would, everything is going to be swept under the rug and we move on. Not going to worry about it, but it will be a nice little chip to play the next time the "we do things the right way" Madison crowd gets to clucking.

Did anybody notice that the story disappeared from JSONline YESTERDAY ??  1 day after it broke??    ;)

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #332 on: March 07, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #333 on: March 14, 2016, 05:03:50 PM »
Can we please keep this on the front page for a little longer? When else should we be dwelling on this if not when we suffer another missed postseason?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #334 on: March 14, 2016, 05:19:45 PM »
Can we please keep this on the front page for a little longer? When else should we be dwelling on this if not when we suffer another missed postseason?

+1

Heard a Bo Ryan radio ad today. Chuckled to myself.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #335 on: March 14, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
Tell me no one on staff knew anything about this 6+ year affair Bo Knows was having. Bullcrap.
Leader and builder of young men, makes me sick that all UW said was well he used his own
money, not the schools. Then he takes his state pension and hides under a rock somewhere.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2016, 05:55:40 PM »
Tell me no one on staff knew anything about this 6+ year affair Bo Knows was having. Bullcrap.
Leader and builder of young men, makes me sick that all UW said was well he used his own
money, not the schools. Then he takes his state pension and hides under a rock somewhere.

In Naples.

People who used to talk to him weekly haven't heard from him since he retired.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #337 on: March 14, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »
There is no way this was the only one, either. This was just the only one that got messed up enough to jeopardize his public image.

I'd love to put together a list of self-righteous quotes of Coach Ryan's that occurred during this six year "mistake."
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

brandx

« Reply #338 on: March 14, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »

GOO

• All American
« Reply #339 on: March 14, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
There is no way this was the only one, either. This was just the only one that got messed up enough to jeopardize his public image.

I'd love to put together a list of self-righteous quotes of Coach Ryan's that occurred during this six year "mistake."

Based upon how upset this women was, it does make one wonder if there were other women involved at the same time.  Enough other alleged possible names surfaced.

Anyway, this cheating stuff doesn't upset me.  Seems to go with his character from the stories I've heard.  The fact that Bo had terrible graduation rates and didn't give a rip about his kids getting a degree, while acting like he was above reproach and doing it the right way, that I find to be very revealing about his character... but the UW faithful just don't care as long as they are winning.

Bo Quote Modified: I didn't get into coaching... for the money... it was a passion for trying to help young people ladies.

Bo Quote Unmodified: The best thing to do is try and make sure you're getting something on your end. (and we thought he was talking about basketball).

Bo Quote Modified:  I recruit hungry kids ladies who love the game... and feel they have more questions than answers.

I guess the swing offense had more players and meaning than we knew!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:37:01 PM by GOO »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #340 on: March 14, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »
I saw Barry in Naples several times this month. Are you sure Bo is in Naples?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #341 on: March 14, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »
I saw Barry in Naples several times this month. Are you sure Bo is in Naples?

Hmm, maybe the girl both Barry and Bo were having a little side fun with together is using Bo's place in Naples and Barry's paying a visit?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #342 on: March 14, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »
Bo had several going at once. Confirmed by my local Madison sources.

Dude's a pig.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #343 on: March 14, 2016, 09:46:31 PM »
Hmm, maybe the girl both Barry and Bo were having a little side fun with together is using Bo's place in Naples and Barry's paying a visit?

Yeah.. heard about several times when Barry and Bo were all over each other and the chick just watched... whatever floats your boat, a''inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #344 on: March 15, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
I enjoyed reading about Gard reaching out to Bo after getting his contract and only getting voicemail

As he drove to work Tuesday morning, his first official day as Wisconsin’s full-time head men’s basketball coach, Greg Gard placed a call Bo Ryan, his mentor and former boss.

“I left him a voicemail,” Gard said during his introductory news conference. “Just thanked him for the opportunity for recognizing a 22-year-old young college student that was trying to get into the profession and giving me an opportunity.

“It was just a thank-you phone call for all the opportunities he's given me over the past 23-plus years.”

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #345 on: March 15, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
Bo's wife is probably screening all his calls.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #346 on: March 15, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
Bo's wife is probably screening all his calls.

Unless he left his phone in Madison, she isn't screening anything of Bo's.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #347 on: March 15, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »

We can have a hypocritical Bo meme tournament this year.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #348 on: March 15, 2016, 01:29:05 PM »

Zihuatanejo...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #349 on: March 15, 2016, 02:59:49 PM »

feedback