Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What Will Be The Next MU Loss?

Presbyterian, Sun Dec 27
1 (0.5%)
Seton Hall, Wed Dec 30
9 (4.5%)
at Georgetown, Sat Jan 2
50 (24.8%)
at Providence, Tue Jan 5
111 (55%)
St. John's Sat Jan 9
0 (0%)
None, MU Will Win The Next 5
31 (15.3%)

Total Members Voted: 202

Author Topic: Poll: Next MU Loss?  (Read 6079 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Poll: Next MU Loss?
« on: December 22, 2015, 07:04:29 AM »
9 - 2 overall
8 straight games, last loss was Iowa Nov 19 (before Thanksgiving!)

Above is the next 5 games.  What is our next loss?

I voted "at Providence" Tue Jan 5

Side question.  If we make it to the Providence game on an 11 game winning streak, and 12- 2 overall, are we ranked going into that game?

Vote above, thoughts below.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:07:24 AM by Heisenberg »

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: Poll: Next MU Loss?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 07:12:21 AM »
I voted Providence; not ranked.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:41:57 AM »
I voted we would beat them all!

Win Every Day!!!! I buy in!

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:51:16 AM »
I voted Providence. If we won all heading into that game we might be receiving votes, but not ranked. The biggest wins would be over Arizona State and a who cares Wisconsin and Georgetown who have both been repeatedly beaten by low majors.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

fjm

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »
I'm the one Seton Hall vote. I think we come into the BE confident which is great, but I think also the change in competition size will throw us off a bit. (I get that we played Wisconsin and they are no cupcake per say, and the win was amazing but we did almost cough that W up.)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
I picked Georgetown. While it's winnable, it will be Georgetown's first home game since losing two in four days. If the Hoyas are going to turn their season around, it has to start now, and I still think we split with them. Hope I'm wrong and we win all four.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 08:30:24 AM »
I also picked Georgetown. I don't like how we match up with them. They have a lot of size and a dominant guard in dsr. Or size is better than theirs but anytime you have that many bigs with fouls to give, you can afford to be aggressive and get the other teams bigs in foul trouble.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 08:32:35 AM »
i'm still a bit concerned with this team.  other than the iowa game we're a few plays away from being unbeaten...or losing to ASU, LSU, and WI.  we haven't finished games well, but we have won those games.  i still don't feel like there is a solid ball handler and free throw shooter to be able to rely on at the end of the game.  that said, MU is young, and can certainly show growth faster than other teams given we have the talent and coaching.  i don't see a team in the BEAST that i don't think MU can play with...i also don't see a team in the BEAST (minus depaul) that couldn't beat MU.  i think there are going to be some "up's and down's" in conference play as we should probably expect with one of the best conferences in the nation and one of the youngest teams in the nation.  cheers to wojo for having them at this point...after iowa i was worried.  cheers to wojo...while the no practice jersey/practicing outside crap is great to talk about...he's obviously done a ton beyond that to get this team to where they are right now. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 08:38:38 AM »
I voted Providence.
The way I see it:
Beat Seton Hall & Georgetown indicates we are an NCAA tournament team
Split indicates we are an NIT team
Lose both projects to no post season
Four bids are going to Xavier, Providence, Butler & Villanova. The rest of the teams are fighting for the 5th bid the possibility of a 6th bid. We are competing with Seton Hall & Georgetown for the 5th bid. Two games into conference play we will know if we are for real or pretenders.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »
I'm the one Seton Hall vote. I think we come into the BE confident which is great, but I think also the change in competition size will throw us off a bit. (I get that we played Wisconsin and they are no cupcake per say, and the win was amazing but we did almost cough that W up.)

We better not lose to Seton Hall. We can't afford many home losses, especially not to teams that will finish in the bottom half of the conference.
TAMU

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 08:46:39 AM »
I'm concerned that there will be a very sub par crowd at the Seton Hall game due to Christmas break, therefore, the team struggles to beat a solid team at home. Surprised only 2 people (including myself) thought we could slip up against thrm, especially since they are riding high after a win over Wichita State.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 08:48:01 AM »
We can't lose to Seton Hall.  I need bragging rights with my friend & wife who are Seton Hall grads.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 08:58:55 AM »
Where's the faith?

SMU.  Finals of the 2016 2K Classic.

MU runs the table this year.  the loss to SMU will prompt 100% of the SMU fan base to believe they would've won the championship this year had they not been banned from post season.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
Providence, unranked, receiving votes but <10 votes.

We won't merit ranking unless we beat a ranked Providence at their house. Beat them and SJU in the same week (meaning we have to win the next 5, which is 13 in a row,  a tall order)...and we'll be ranked. I'd be really surprised if it happened before then.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »
Where's the faith?

SMU.  Finals of the 2016 2K Classic.

MU runs the table this year.  the loss to SMU will prompt 100% of the SMU fan base to believe they would've won the championship this year had they not been banned from post season.

Brilliant  8-)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »
9 - 2 overall
8 straight games, last loss was Iowa Nov 19 (before Thanksgiving!)

Above is the next 5 games.  What is our next loss?

I voted "at Providence" Tue Jan 5

Side question.  If we make it to the Providence game on an 11 game winning streak, and 12- 2 overall, are we ranked going into that game?

Vote above, thoughts below.

We might be ranked going into that game. Georgetown and SH would give us two more "solid" wins to go along with Wisconsin and ASU. 12-2 is pretty gaudy. Realistically, I think we'd have to beat Presbyterian and then start 3-0 in the big east to deserve to be ranked. Then we'd have to beat St. John's because the game is 2 days before the new polls are released.

So if Marquette somehow (very unlikely) wins their next 5, my guess would be we enter the polls around 18 or so.

FWIW, I voted Georgetown because first conference road game is hard. Wouldn't be surprised if we lose to SH or beat Providence though, anything can happen with this team.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
I voted Providence.  Doing any better than splitting those 2 road games would be a huge accomplishment.  That's simply a bridge too far.  I don't think we're ranked if we win the first two BEast games but I do think we'll be on Lunardi's board.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »

Death on call

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »
I think we can "stunned" by Seton Hall at home and Wojo gets the guys back on track for a solid conference run resulting in a bubblicious March.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 12:12:45 PM »
I voted Providence.  Tough to win there.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  15h15 hours ago
Marquette's loss to Iowa may be the best thing that ever happened to the Golden Eagles. Have now won eight straight games. 9-2 and rolling.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »
Side note to the side note:

This site (based on Sagarin) http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Marquette.html  gave us a 2.1% of a 20-win season or better on Nov 30th, before the Grambling State game.

Currently, it gives us a 26% chance of 20 wins or more.

Projected final RPI then: 173   now: 120

Ran the RPI wizard for some different scenarios, and it's going to take some work to bring that final RPI under 70. For example, winning all the games we're supposed to, plus home "upsets" of Xavier, Butler and Providence, plus away "upsets" of Georgetown and Seton Hall, plus a win against Creighton in the BET, would get us only to 66.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 12:38:10 PM »
Side note to the side note:

This site (based on Sagarin) http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Marquette.html  gave us a 2.1% of a 20-win season or better on Nov 30th, before the Grambling State game.

Currently, it gives us a 26% chance of 20 wins or more.

Projected final RPI then: 173   now: 120

Ran the RPI wizard for some different scenarios, and it's going to take some work to bring that final RPI under 70. For example, winning all the games we're supposed to, plus home "upsets" of Xavier, Butler and Providence, plus away "upsets" of Georgetown and Seton Hall, plus a win against Creighton in the BET, would get us only to 66.

Still lots of ways that could change. Wouldn't worry about it until the beginning of February. Get to 11 wins in conference and our RPI will be good enough. And cheer like hell for ASU and LSU

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »

I love the Internet, its where Reality and Fantasy  can be mixed.

I really like the way the team is developing  and with only 3 days between games (Except SJ 4) the team can remain more Focus and we win 4.  But if Wojo and staff can set up a defense to limit Dunn, then maybe 5 wins.

Wow  14-2  Sounds Giddy.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »
And cheer like hell for ASU and LSU

Interesting point about this. Both ASU and LSU were incomplete when we played them. Asu now has Torian Graham and LSU was missing Craig Victor and Keith Hornsby. Both teams should be significantly better in the second semester
TAMU

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 01:35:28 PM »
Interesting point about this. Both ASU and LSU were incomplete when we played them. Asu now has Torian Graham and LSU was missing Craig Victor and Keith Hornsby. Both teams should be significantly better in the second semester
Wisconsin was without Gard, too.