Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: They muted that shrieking kid!  (Read 4909 times)

silverback

• Starter
They muted that shrieking kid!
« on: December 22, 2015, 12:51:59 AM »
I'm an infrequent poster, but I *did* enjoy typing that headline.

Folks must've noticed that 540 AM muted its broadcast for a moment before each opponent free throw. I wonder if it was Jimmy Mac's idea to de facto shut that kid up finally?

mug644

• All American
Re: They muted that shrieking kid!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 05:33:59 AM »
The muting was awkward, but, I suppose, better than the piercing of the screaming. Amazing how loud it is coming through the radio!

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:06:38 AM »
Amen. Thank you Homer and/or Jim Mc. That screaming was unbearable. Wonder if they offered to relocate the responsible fan before resorting to the muting.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:44:43 AM »
I'm looking for tickets for the next game any where near that kid and offer to help solve the problem...

Seriously, What booster is so "untouchable" that they cannot be relocated away from the broadcasters or asked that their kid behave?  Maybe the kid's parents are scoopers and they'll see how unappreciated the shrieking is!!!

A call from the AD to the booster in question is in order.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 07:52:19 AM »
Here-Here!  Well done!   :D
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 09:04:41 AM »
I'm looking for tickets for the next game any where near that kid and offer to help solve the problem...

Seriously, What booster is so "untouchable" that they cannot be relocated away from the broadcasters or asked that their kid behave?  Maybe the kid's parents are scoopers and they'll see how unappreciated the shrieking is!!!

I guess I don't understand the second part. I thought the yelling was during opponents FTs? Is that not condoned or even encouraged by the jumbotron? I know its annoying but it is a college basketball game and I've seen worse behavior from kids.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »

Maybe they killed him?

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 09:07:59 AM »

Maybe they killed him?
I think Wojo played some mind games and the kid transferred when the semester was over.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »
I guess I don't understand the second part. I thought the yelling was during opponents FTs? Is that not condoned or even encouraged by the jumbotron? I know its annoying but it is a college basketball game and I've seen worse behavior from kids.

Agree.  It is only annoying because the kid is so close to the radio mics.  Moving the kid 5 or 10 seats in one direction or the other ought to do it.  I only listen to the radio broadcast for the small number of games I can't get on TV, but that shrill shriek is very annoying.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:37:29 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »
These are full on sweater vest, grey hair, sitting directly behind Homer and Mac best seats in the house.  I don't think that they are moving this kid anywhere.  Ibet they told 540 too bad, do what you have to do.  Ushers are not policing the level of annoyance of a kid screaming during an opponent's FT attempt and looking to move his seat.  Not happening.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 01:31:20 PM »
I think I'll go as Shrieking Kid for Halloween next year.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 01:47:40 PM »
Is this the same kid you can hear cheering whenever MU makes a basket? Its audible on the highlight videos with Homer and Mac

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 02:34:41 PM »
Honest advice... kindly close your yappers before you turn - what you think may be a very innocuous topic - into a very cringe-worthy episode of "damn, I really feel like sh|t now that I know who this kid is."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 02:37:51 PM »
Honest advice... kindly close your yappers before you turn - what you think may be a very innocuous topic - into a very cringe-worthy episode of "damn, I really feel like sh|t now that I know who this kid is."

Sorry your kid shrieks so loudly.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »

Sorry your kid shrieks so loudly.

Nah... you can't hear my kids from the upper deck; although, that would be quite impressive.

No, I'm more worried that people are denigrating someone who should not be denigrated for who they are.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »

Riley?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
My guess is that it is a special needs child. If not, I have a feeling that someone within the MU athletic office with have had a brief, polite chat with the child's parents requesting that he or she quiet down so as to not interrupt the radio broadcast.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 04:23:06 PM »
They muted it--if they asked his parents to do something about it---there would be no reason to mute the broadcast, ai na?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 04:33:47 PM »
My guess is that it is a special needs child. If not, I have a feeling that someone within the MU athletic office with have had a brief, polite chat with the child's parents requesting that he or she quiet down so as to not interrupt the radio broadcast.

Bingo.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »
I never thought that it was a kid.  I've long thought that it was a woman with a very high-pitched voice

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 12:42:56 PM »

I know I'm going to take some crap for saying this, but special needs kids can also be taught social norms, respect for others, and how to behave in public.  Their parents can lead the way.  To me this does not change the need for the athletic department to call the season ticket holder and request a behavioral change.  If it was a raucous drunk doing the same thing - remember, alcoholism is an illness - the problem would already have been solved. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
I know I'm going to take some crap for saying this, but special needs kids can also be taught social norms, respect for others, and how to behave in public.  Their parents can lead the way.  To me this does not change the need for the athletic department to call the season ticket holder and request a behavioral change.  If it was a raucous drunk doing the same thing - remember, alcoholism is an illness - the problem would already have been solved.

Depends on their needs.  Not every special needs child out there is a high-functioning one, despite what you see on TV.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »
The kid isn't misbehaving. The kid yells during opponents free throws. That is encouraged behavior. The onus is on homer and Mac to mute the broadcast. Not on the kid to move or stop yelling. This is true even if the kid isn't special needs.

This thread is shameful. Bunch of grown adults complaining about a kid with special needs getting excited at a basketball game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »
I don't listen to Homer and Mac anymore because of that kid. I'm sure their parent has headaches 24x7.

The kid is not just impacting the enjoyment of the people around him/her. The kid is making a broadcast unlistenable. Muzzle the kid. Or put all kids in a glass room like they had at my church growing up.

Special needs or not, I'm sure we could get enough people to spring for a babysitter.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 03:09:14 PM »
When did everyone become 70? At the start pf the season yall were complaining about the students not being supportive/loud enough. Now all of you are complaining about a kid screaming during free throws.

feedback