Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Lakers Going After Hurley by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:19:28 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by SaveOD238
[Today at 05:52:02 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by GoFastAndWin
[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BC Atmosphere  (Read 23841 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: BC Atmosphere
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2015, 02:31:41 PM »
I can kill your dreams of an on-campus arena real fast.....if there is an on campus arena for Marquette only, there will be no beer/mixed drinks for sale at the arena.  That will kill any benefit of a home crowd for sure.

Says who?  If it's me putting up $100M to build the Thunderdome, that place is going to have the best draft systems known to man.  If you're referring to the NCAA rule, you can always create an exclave.  Or build it across the street.  Or put the ownership into a separate LLC like Wal-Mart does. 

It was alcohol (beer, actually) that inspired many of the basic inventions and necessities we have today (e.g. mathematics, writing, land surveying, Pasteurization, modern medicine, mass production, etc.), I don't see why someone couldn't figure something out how MU could serve beer at an "on-campus" arena.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2015, 02:53:11 PM »
It's not a blanket NCAA rule that on-campus arenas can't sell alcohol. The only mandate they have is that NCAA Tournament events are dry.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »
Says who?  If it's me putting up $100M to build the Thunderdome, that place is going to have the best draft systems known to man.  If you're referring to the NCAA rule, you can always create an exclave.  Or build it across the street.  Or put the ownership into a separate LLC like Wal-Mart does. 

It was alcohol (beer, actually) that inspired many of the basic inventions and necessities we have today (e.g. mathematics, writing, land surveying, Pasteurization, modern medicine, mass production, etc.), I don't see why someone couldn't figure something out how MU could serve beer at an "on-campus" arena.

Says Marquette.....there is no way they will support a stand alone, on-campus arena that sells alcohol.  There are reasons why places like Hegs, Gloco Morro, etc no longer exist around campus
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2015, 03:56:36 PM »
Says Marquette.....there is no way they will support a stand alone, on-campus arena that sells alcohol.  There are reasons why places like Hegs, Gloco Morro, etc no longer exist around campus

I don't think you can equate alcohol served at arena concessions with a bar. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2015, 09:26:19 PM »
The MECCA was and is a dump. However, turning down the lights with the cloud of cigarette smoke hanging over the court created an exciting environment. Like our jersey designs, the NCAA has banned about 75% of the hijinks that we got away with like the toilet paper fireworks, the band playing during the game action, our mascot, unsportsmanlike chants, poking a drum stick into the back of the inbounder, air horns or whistles, climbing on the scorer's table after a victory on the road.  A televised game was a rarity and was treated as a Super Bowl. 

Everyone I bring to the BC loves the whole game experience.  They cannot believe it is being called obsolete.  Times have changed and it is more about the fan experience as every game is on national tv.  Hell, MU couldn't give away tickets to The Al game a year ago.

That was really, really fun.  We started at Chili, walked across campus for the game, and then back to Caffrey's to celebrate the victory.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
That was really, really fun.  We started at Chili, walked across campus for the game, and then back to Caffrey's to celebrate the victory.

Yup, that was the night I learned the dangers of rail tequila.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »

I don't think you can equate alcohol served at arena concessions with a bar.

Correct, but we already have an on campus arena that they don't allow alcohol at either (Al).  I don't see Marquette in its current direction allowing alcohol at an on-campus arena but I suppose that is opinion and not fact.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2015, 10:27:36 PM »
Yup, that was the night I learned the dangers of rail tequila.
I think I just threw up in my mouth reading this. The thought alone....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Correct, but we already have an on campus arena that they don't allow alcohol at either (Al).  I don't see Marquette in its current direction allowing alcohol at an on-campus arena but I suppose that is opinion and not fact.

But we do have an on campus "arena" that is fully stocked with alcohol. It's called the Jes Res.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »
But we do have an on campus "arena" that is fully stocked with alcohol. It's called the Jes Res.

The O'Brien Jesuit Residence, officially now.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2015, 11:00:26 PM »
.....if there is an on campus arena for Marquette only, there will be no beer/mixed drinks for sale at the arena.  That will kill any benefit of a home crowd for sure.

I can assure you that for 4 years I enjoyed at least 6 PBRs or Dog Styles at every Marquette home game and never once subjected myself to the outrageous prices at the concession stands!

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »

Well aware of that.....was part of a campus energy study my freshmen year in CoE....building that used the most energy on campus at the time...old JesRes with the basement walk in cooler and all the TVs, etc.

Having said that the Jesuits are more of do as I say not as I do type of group, IMO

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
Well aware of that.....was part of a campus energy study my freshmen year in CoE....building that used the most energy on campus at the time...old JesRes with the basement walk in cooler and all the TVs, etc.

Having said that the Jesuits are more of do as I say not as I do type of group, IMO

I don't recall that in terms of drinking...
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2015, 08:47:58 AM »
I can assure you that for 4 years I enjoyed at least 6 PBRs or Dog Styles at every Marquette home game and never once subjected myself to the outrageous prices at the concession stands!

That's great, if I'm a student.  I'm now a 35 year old dude who just wants to pay for a good overpriced tap beer when I go to a game without having to crotch a bunch of Ice Houses.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2015, 08:49:16 AM »
I don't recall that in terms of drinking...

OK Jesuits in conjunction with super paranoid administration types.  ;D

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2015, 08:51:18 AM »
I think I just threw up in my mouth reading this. The thought alone....

I know.  I personally witnessed chitown, my own son, and a few others partake.  Think I told chick that it was time to go as the boys were embarking on a 'long night'.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »
For Christ's sake, people.... we're a CATHOLIC university, not BYU or Unidurkisty of Mosul.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4lWC30_pV_w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4lWC30_pV_w</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.