[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting  (Read 16625 times)

warriors78

• Walk-On
Re: Recruiting
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 10:03:16 AM »
How about this guy?  Seems like a nice replacement for Ellenson

Nick Rakocevic          6'10   PF   Westchester (St. Joseph)   West Virginia, USC, Others

Comments: Rakocevic is off to a great start this season as he was the MVP at the Ron Johnson Thanksgiving Classic and will be among the frontrunners for the coveted Mr. Basketball award in Illinois next March.  His only official visit to this point has been to West Virginia, so it will be interesting to see if new schools could possibly become involved between now and April.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 10:06:55 AM »
WE DO NEED MORE HEIGHT (6-9 and up) After Henry leaves we have Fischer and Heldt. Need
big man depth.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »
We are recruiting Nojel Eastern from Evanston.  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207874/nojel-eastern

I heard the younger Hauser was a Marquette lean last month, for what it's worth.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »
We are recruiting Nojel Eastern from Evanston.  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207874/nojel-eastern

I heard the younger Hauser was a Marquette lean last month, for what it's worth.

That kid is so good. Niles North is moving to that side of the conference next year. I can get yall a pretty good scouting report assuming he hasn't committed by then.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »
His family got their tickets through UW.  That's why they wore red.  I've heard his preference was UW, but that doesn't mean he's going.  I know his parents want the boys MENto play together.

Death on call

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »
That kid is so good. Niles North is moving to that side of the conference next year. I can get yall a pretty good scouting report assuming he hasn't committed by then.
I assume one of the schools on the other side had a drop in enrollment than?  Maybe Glenbrook south

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »
I assume one of the schools on the other side had a drop in enrollment than?  Maybe Glenbrook south

Waukegan is leaving and Vernon Hills is coming in. North got the short end of the stick since they have a larger enrollment than Vernon Hills.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2015, 02:53:47 PM »
Wojo recruited Chicago a lot at Duke.

Absolutely.  I think we'll see someone from Chicago in the next year or two.  Gotta be the right fit, no matter where they are from. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »
Absolutely part of the equation.   Squirm central

I'm guessing Crean recruiting Jerel Mcneal and D Wade or his attempt at Shumpert and others wasn't squirmy?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »
WE DO NEED MORE HEIGHT (6-9 and up) After Henry leaves we have Fischer and Heldt. Need
big man depth.

If only we could recruit big men.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
I'm guessing Crean recruiting Jerel Mcneal and D Wade or his attempt at Shumpert and others wasn't squirmy?

Exactly.   Chicago is squirmy and Crean recruited (recruits) the hell out of it.   Buzz landed Steve Taylor.    Do the math. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »
Tonight MU is watching 2017 Justin Smith (Stevenson HS, just north of Chicago, where he played with Brunson). 6'7" wing who can play some inside and out. Was really impressed watching and talking with him this past summer (media).

Parents are both Illinois alums, but he's got interest from a bunch of Big Ten (and other) schools and says his folks are cool with whatever he decides..

Really like him.

Justin Smith article from this summer.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015, 11:55:48 PM »
How about this guy?  Seems like a nice replacement for Ellenson

Nick Rakocevic          6'10   PF   Westchester (St. Joseph)   West Virginia, USC, Others

Comments: Rakocevic is off to a great start this season as he was the MVP at the Ron Johnson Thanksgiving Classic and will be among the frontrunners for the coveted Mr. Basketball award in Illinois next March.  His only official visit to this point has been to West Virginia, so it will be interesting to see if new schools could possibly become involved between now and April.

I'm pretty sure that Wojo kicked the tires with this guy, but it didn't go very far.  No idea why.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
New ESPN rankings out

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/classrankings

Others:
Xavier #18
Villanova #31
Butler #35
St. John's #40

Borzello expects us to be active in the "transfer" market after the season.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 09:20:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Wojo kicked the tires with this guy, but it didn't go very far.  No idea why.

The kid is a pretty darn good player, but has been known for not having a great attitude in the past. If I recall correctly, he's been playing varsity since his frosh year at St. Joe's in Westchester, IL, a big time program. Supposedly working to change his image this season according to a Tribune article today (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1218-prep-bbk-nick-rakocevic-20151217-story.html). Had 23 pts, 23 rebs and 10 blocks in a recent game.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »
Sounds like a good big for Marquette if Wojo wants him.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »
The kid is a pretty darn good player, but has been known for not having a great attitude in the past. If I recall correctly, he's been playing varsity since his frosh year at St. Joe's in Westchester, IL, a big time program. Supposedly working to change his image this season according to a Tribune article today (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1218-prep-bbk-nick-rakocevic-20151217-story.html). Had 23 pts, 23 rebs and 10 blocks in a recent game.

Maybe having Ellenson and Fischer already on board was a sticking point.  The article says that he is now waiting until after his season is over to take his official visits, so if someone doesn't stick around, then....

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »

Will his Attitude change practicing in a White T Shirt?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2015, 12:05:52 PM »

Well played!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2015, 12:48:52 PM »

Maybe, maybe not. But his team will go 7-0, including a road win over its huge rival -- a decision that will send the rival's coach screaming into retirement.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2015, 03:32:40 PM »
New ESPN rankings out

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/classrankings

Others:
Xavier #18
Villanova #31
Butler #35
St. John's #40

Borzello expects us to be active in the "transfer" market after the season.

Are we on anybody in the 2017 class? Not the best researcher but I feel there is usually 3-4 guys we are on that we debate this time of year. Seems pretty quiet on the recruiting front. Hopefully, if we go the transfer route it is a fifth year that can play immediately.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1838919

Nice. I am assuming that his friend is Sacar that he references in the article. That is a really good connection. Sounds like Sacar likes where Marquette is too for a guy that is transferring
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
Yup. He's a 17-year-old sophomore and will enter college as a 20-year-old freshman. He's dominated kids 2-3 years younger than him for quite awhile now, which has some questioning how good he really is, as well as whether or not he can (or will) defend anyone at this level.

Honestly, is that a bad thing of a thing? It's not like a guy stops maturing at 20. I know I gained a ton of muscle from age 21-24, I could imagine a kid on D-1 program. Bring a 23-24 year old senior only hurts your draft prospects, but it can make you a hell of a college player. That's one reason why I like Bailey. He will be physically mature at a younger class year and able to give grow into the game faster. I wish more non-pro prospects would take the redshirt route instead of transferring after wasting their freshman year with no PT. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2015, 08:30:03 PM »
Head coach Greg Gard extends his first scholarship offer to Whitnall 2018 guard Tyler Herro
Benjamin Worgull   Dec 24, 2015 at 1:23 PM

http://www.scout.com/college/wisconsin/story/1626272-wisconsin-offers-2018-guard-tyler-herro

A day after getting his first win as a college head coach, Greg Gard extended a Wisconsin scholarship offer to Greenfield (WI) Whitnall 2018 three-star prospect Tyler Herro.

Less than a day after being named the interim head coach, Greg Gard matter-of-factly statement that he was going to recruit aggressively for the University of Wisconsin. He backed that comment up on Thursday, extending a scholarship offer to Greenfield (WI) Whitnall 2018 shooting guard Tyler Herro.

Tyler Herro @raf_tyler
Great talk with Coach Gard and I am beyond blessed to have received an offer from UW-Madison! #Badgers  11:26 AM - 24 Dec 2015 · Greenfield, WI, United States

One of top sophomores in the state, Herro – already rated a three-star prospect by Scout.com - averaged 15.8 ppg as a freshman and earned first-team all-league honors in the Woodland East. He plays AAU basketball for the Wisconsin Playground Warriors and has the ability to play either guard position.

Wisconsin is the sixth offer for Herro, joining Creighton, DePaul, Green Bay, Milwaukee and Sam Houston State. He’s visited the UW campus twice since September, attending a UW football game and UW’s basketball game with Marquette.

Herro is close with both Kaukauna (WI) 2018 guard Jordan McCabe and La Crosse (WI) Central four-star 2017 guard Kobe King, a Wisconsin commit. Herro and McCabe hope to play college together.

Herro is also fielding interest from Marquette, Minnesota, Purdue, Stanford and West Virginia, among others.