Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Mock 2.0  (Read 14883 times)

AverageJoe

• Walk-On
ESPN Mock 2.0
« on: December 10, 2015, 02:42:17 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/14313463/chad-ford-nba-mock-draft-ben-simmons-skal-labissiere-first-board

1 Simmons
2 Skal

7 Portland Trail Blazers*

Henry Ellenson
Marquette
Freshman
Forward/center

The Blazers suffered short-term catastrophic losses to their core this summer, but the long-term outlook is rosy. Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum are a lethal backcourt. Portland just needs more help up front. Ellenson should be a terrific fit. He's big, athletic, skilled and can really stretch the floor. While his shooting numbers are down right now, he's a real threat from 3. In the new NBA, he's the prototypical young 4. The Blazers shouldn't hesitate to grab him if he falls this far.

27 Stone

wadesworld

• All American
Re: ESPN Mock 2.0
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
Sssssshhh.  Don't you know, Henry is nowhere near ready for the NBA.

Just like he was going to be a 6 and 3 guy this season because freshman don't produce in college.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »

Just like he was going to be a 6 and 3 guy this season because freshman don't produce in college.

A little OT versus draft status but I figured he would be a double digit scorer but his rebounding has been fantastic and beyond expectations.  I never expected 9+ rebounds per game out of him at this point.  He has single handily made us from a poor defensive rebounding team to a decent one.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
A little OT versus draft status but I figured he would be a double digit scorer but his rebounding has been fantastic and beyond expectations.  I never expected 9+ rebounds per game out of him at this point.  He has single handily made us from a poor defensive rebounding team to a decent one.

That and Luke has improved there a lot, too.  I didn't expect 9+, but I did expect about 6.  When you're 6'11" and you aren't a clutz you're going to be able to get a few rebounds.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 03:41:17 PM »

Henry isn't NBA-ready at this point. However, the top of the NBA Draft isn't about finding players who are NBA-ready. It's about finding players with the most potential. A 6'10" guy with all-around skills definitely has a TON of potential, but he still has plenty of work to do. Henry would no doubt benefit from another year in school, but if he's going to be taken in the top 6-8 of the NBA Draft, he needs to go.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »
Henry isn't NBA-ready at this point. However, the top of the NBA Draft isn't about finding players who are NBA-ready. It's about finding players with the most potential. A 6'10" guy with all-around skills definitely has a TON of potential, but he still has plenty of work to do. Henry would no doubt benefit from another year in school, but if he's going to be taken in the top 6-8 of the NBA Draft, he needs to go.

I think there are very few players more NBA ready offensively than Henry Ellenson in college.  I don't even think Simmons would be as ready to contribute as Henry right now, as in the NBA you need to at least be some kind of threat to shoot from the perimeter if you aren't a banger in the post, and at 6'10" and like 210 lbs Simmons is not that, and does not have any kind of perimeter shot.

If the Blazers took Henry and said, "We need you to be our front court scorer, you're getting 28 mpg no matter how bad your defense is," Henry could score 12-15 ppg in the NBA right now.  I don't think many college players are "ready" to do that.  Now his defense...

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 04:20:46 PM »
I guess I don't understand why he would benefit from another year in college? He's averaging 17/9 and 30 mpg. He's already the main guy on the team and we are only a 1/3 of the way through the season. He will have plenty of time to be the man and develop come March. He won't have much to prove at that point playing mediocre talent for another year. Even everyone's whipping boy, Frank Kaminsky, is on pace for 1300 minutes this year despite limited playing time, which is what he played last year.

If he's drafted top 8, he will be on a bad team and almost guaranteed 20 MPG a game for 80 games compared to the 35 he would get in 35 college games. He will have better trainers, food, coaches, equipment.....

Unless you are purely talking about another year of growing as a person, a semester full of electives, and a year of being the man on campus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 04:21:53 PM »
I guess I don't understand why he would benefit from another year in college? He's averaging 17/9 and 30 mpg. He's already the main guy on the team and we are only a 1/3 of the way through the season. He will have plenty of time to be the man and develop come March. He won't have much to prove at that point playing mediocre talent for another year. Even everyone's whipping boy, Frank Kaminsky, is on pace for 1300 minutes this year despite limited playing time, which is what he played last year.

If he's drafted top 8, he will be on a bad team and almost guaranteed 20 MPG a game for 80 games compared to the 35 he would get in 35 college games. He will have better trainers, food, coaches, equipment.....

Unless you are purely talking about another year of growing as a person, a semester full of electives, and a year of being the man on campus.

Yup.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 04:31:33 PM »
Hes from a small town in WI...
HE GONE!

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 04:32:09 PM »
I find it surprising that Fischer has not cracked any mock drafts as of late.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 04:50:59 PM »
I actually think that Henry will stay one more year unless Wally leaves to try for the Olympics. That said, he's clearly NBA ready. Maybe not ready to be a starter or good player but he's definitely ready for NBA minutes. Polished offensively, strong rebounder, needs a lot of work on defense but so do most freshman big guys. Barring injury, he's a top 10 pick if he leaves this year. And he's a top 10 pick if he stays for one more year.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »

Mostly agreed.  The only other possible benefits might be a legitimate shot at the Final Four and another year of playing with his brother, if those are a big deal to him.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
I actually think that Henry will stay one more year unless Wally leaves to try for the Olympics. That said, he's clearly NBA ready. Maybe not ready to be a starter or good player but he's definitely ready for NBA minutes. Polished offensively, strong rebounder, needs a lot of work on defense but so do most freshman big guys. Barring injury, he's a top 10 pick if he leaves this year. And he's a top 10 pick if he stays for one more year.

It would be interesting to know if he has an insurance policy this year taken out. No way in hell I would stay another year unless I had one guaranteeing me millions if I have a bad injury.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
I find it surprising that Fischer has not cracked any mock drafts as of late.

Luke needs to develop that 12-15 ft jumper.   Right now, his range is about 4 ft.   Seriously, in the almost year that he has been playing for MU, how many shots have you seen him make from outside the painted area?   Unless you have some other fully developed skill (relentless rebounding, shot blocking, etc), being 6'11 isn't enough.    I love the guy.   I love having a low block scorer who can pass, run the floor, rebound and play defense.   For the next level, he is going to have to expand his range, and learn how to score and defend in space. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 05:53:32 PM »
Luke needs to develop that 12-15 ft jumper.   Right now, his range is about 4 ft.   Seriously, in the almost year that he has been playing for MU, how many shots have you seen him make from outside the painted area?   Unless you have some other fully developed skill (relentless rebounding, shot blocking, etc), being 6'11 isn't enough.    I love the guy.   I love having a low block scorer who can pass, run the floor, rebound and play defense.   For the next level, he is going to have to expand his range, and learn how to score and defend in space.

He can though, for whatever reason they have just never implemented it in the offense so far.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »
He can though, for whatever reason they have just never implemented it in the offense so far.

Nothing to base this on, but perhaps last year his shoulder kept him from being about to hit that 12-15 foot shot. This year, with Henry effective at stepping out, it makes sense for Luke to stay in the lane.

To the question of the draft, it is a bit interesting that he isn't being talked about at all, even with the caveat of needing to develop a more consistent mid-range shot. I mean, if that's "all" he needs, and the NBA drafts on potential, then it would seem he'd show up in the mocks. Maybe the scouts are smarter than me/us?

brandx

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
I think Luke has a good chance of getting drafted late 2nd round after he graduates.

Guys that are 6'11" with solid basketball skills don't fall off of trees. His biggest drawback is that he does not play to his 6'11" size all the time - in other words, he still plays mostly below the rim.

He needs to be more Andrew Bogut-ish on defense. His offensive skill are as good as Andrew's.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »
That and Luke has improved there a lot, too.  I didn't expect 9+, but I did expect about 6.  When you're 6'11" and you aren't a clutz you're going to be able to get a few rebounds.

Luke's offensive rebounding has been great.. his DR% is stuck at 13%. Need more out of him there.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 07:05:11 PM »
I am not sure what Luke does in the NBA.  He doesn't have a face up offensive game.  He isn't a great defender and most definitely can't guard out on the perimeter.  He basically has the same body as Frank Kaminsky and is about the same on defense.  But Kaminsky has a very diverse offensive game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 07:19:40 PM »
I am not sure what Luke does in the NBA.  He doesn't have a face up offensive game.  He isn't a great defender and most definitely can't guard out on the perimeter.  He basically has the same body as Frank Kaminsky and is about the same on defense.  But Kaminsky has a very diverse offensive game.

Better defender than Kaminsky. Far more athletic, too. But I agree, I don't see him as an NBA player right now, needs to add more offensively.

brandx

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 07:21:25 PM »

A 10-12 minute guy off the bench.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
A 10-12 minute guy off the bench.

Luke?  In what role?  NBA centers are either defensive, athletic freaks or can step out and hit a few shots.  I don't see Luke in either role. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 09:24:38 PM »
The only other possible benefits might be a legitimate shot at the Final Four and another year of playing with his brother, if those are a big deal to him.

This. If he is going to stay, it is because of this. If the money and status are more important -- and I wouldn't blame him one lick if he decides they are -- then he'll go.

It's pretty simple, and I actually think most of us agree. If he likes college, wants to play with bro and wants a shot at the FF, he stays. If he is meh on the college experience or this one year with Wally was enough (or if Wally leaves) or if he prefers an NBA paycheck to a FF run, he goes.

As for Luke ... I'm not seeing an NBA player yet. He's James Augustine, but not as athletic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 10:19:58 PM »

Luke?  In what role?  NBA centers are either defensive, athletic freaks or can step out and hit a few shots.  I don't see Luke in either role.

I'd be interested to see if Luke can hit the elbow jumper at some point in his playing career.  Obviously Germantown High School isn't quite the level of defense he'd be going up against in the NBA, but he had range out to the 3 point line in high school.  If he could show he can hit that shot at some point I could see him being a lot like Zaza.  Doesn't wow you or excite you with anything, but a good passer, a smart player, and a guy who will just be a big body rebounding the ball and protecting the rim.

brandx

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 10:36:11 PM »
I'd be interested to see if Luke can hit the elbow jumper at some point in his playing career.  Obviously Germantown High School isn't quite the level of defense he'd be going up against in the NBA, but he had range out to the 3 point line in high school.  If he could show he can hit that shot at some point I could see him being a lot like Zaza.  Doesn't wow you or excite you with anything, but a good passer, a smart player, and a guy who will just be a big body rebounding the ball and protecting the rim.

Funny cuz Zaza was the guy I was thinking of. Doesn't have his toughness yet, but he has time. Luke doesn't wow at any one thing, but has a nice skillset.

That is the reason I said he had a chance late in the 2nd.