2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ben Howland  (Read 13567 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
Ben Howland
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:04:07 AM »
He was hit or miss on Scoop when Howland wanted the Marquette job.

Can't help but notice what he's doing in Starksville of all places; 7 top 100 (2015 & 2016) commits before coaching a game.

Were there ever NCAA infractions broken when Howland was at UCLA or Pitt? I recall the SI article, but was he ever punished for that?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Ben Howland
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 10:10:48 AM »
I don't think any of his issues at UCLA were anything that really rose to the NCAA's awareness level.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »

Can't help but notice what he's doing in Starksville of all places; 7 top 100 (2015 & 2016) commits before coaching a game.

Were there ever NCAA infractions broken when Howland was at UCLA or Pitt? I recall the SI article, but was he ever punished for that?

I really wanted Howland (and still do?), even over Shaka.  All people can ever say is "the guy has stink" but the claim is never substantiated (other than the SI article).

To be fair, there must be reason that MU, along with other schools (including Oregon State...OREGON STATE!!) passed on him.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
I really wanted Howland (and still do?), even over Shaka.  All people can ever say is "the guy has stink" but the claim is never substantiated (other than the SI article).

To be fair, there must be reason that MU, along with other schools (including Oregon State...OREGON STATE!!) passed on him.

Based on Howland on Fox Sports TV last year, I think MU passing on him can largely be summed up as "Wojo's a better public speaker."
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
I don't think Howland has been nailed for any infractions, but he comes across as a pretty terrible human being. If Marquette would stand by the motto of Cura Personalis, it would be pretty hard to justify having someone like Howland on the payroll. Just ask Matt Carlino about his team management.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 10:23:36 AM »
Based on Howland on Fox Sports TV last year, I think MU passing on him can largely be summed up as "Wojo's a better public speaker."
And a better power point presenter
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »

Because he is surly.  And because he was unfairly maligned by morons like Bill Walton who thought he should have won a certain way at UCLA.  But you are right, he has won wherever he has been.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
It is much easier to recruit before you coach your first game at a school. You can tell recruits about everything you will do at the school.  Wojo is now trying to recruit after a 13-19 season, which is harder than selling future expectations.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »

$$$$$$$$$$$$

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
He didn't build bridges at UCLA.   He took some guys of questionable character and had his last couple teams self destruct from within.    However, no one has ever doubted he can coach.   If he has mellowed, found some humility, and returned to recruiting high character players,  he has a lot of ability and experience to offer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »
If Marquette would stand by the motto of Cura Personalis, it would be pretty hard to justify having someone like Howland on the payroll.

Tom Crean?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »

Because he is surly.  And because he was unfairly maligned by morons like Bill Walton who thought he should have won a certain way at UCLA.  But you are right, he has won wherever he has been.

It wasn't just Walton. That alumni base is one of the most shrill, virulent, and obnoxious this side of Notre Dame. Coaching at UCLA requires diplomatic skills that Howland will never possess.

I thought he would have been a great hire for Marquette. Howland is surly but he's neither an assh0le like Crean nor a f#cking looney like Bert. He would have done great things for us.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 11:11:16 AM »
We got our guy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 11:21:22 AM »

Unless that SI piece on him and his final years at UCLA was a piece of fiction, I'd say much of the maligning of Ben Howland was well earned.
Not that it should preclude him from landing another job - including at MU - but he left UCLA a dumpster fire.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jpvegas

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
I believe Lovell knew Howland from his time at Pittsburgh and chose not to make him the top priority, though I believe he probably would have been considered if Wojo didn't take the job.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
I believe Lovell knew Howland from his time at Pittsburgh and chose not to make him the top priority, though I believe he probably would have been considered if Wojo didn't take the job.

An interesting angle.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »

Who are these 7 top 100 commits to Miss State?

Admittedly not a perfect source but ESPN says one from 2015 to Miss State
http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/344/class/2015
This is biggie in Malik Newman (#1 SG) but he committed before Howland and recommitted once Howland was named.  I believe his dad went to Miss State.

And ESPN says 1 from 2016
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/344/class/2016
This is great get Schnider Herard (#8 C)

In Contrast Under Wojo

ESPN says two top 100 commits under Wojo for 2015
http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/269/class/2015
Ellenson and Cheatham

ESPN says two top 100 commits under Wojo for 2016
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/269/class/2016
Hauser and Bailey

By this measure that is Wojo 4 top 100 versus Howland with 2.

What is wrong with this?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
An interesting angle.
The way i remember it Cuonzo was the one we were circling on until the awesome Wojo interview with Ben as the fall back.  but that is 100% memory of Scoop.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 01:48:25 PM »
Howland was never an option for MU. When there are public pictures of you drinking with your underage players you gotta imagine the private pictures are even worse. Howland knows how to win but is not a good human being. Would have been an awful representative of Marquette.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »
Not as bad as Crean, doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 02:15:31 PM »
Not as bad as Crean, doe, hey?

I'd take Howland as a coach but Crean as a person. Not close on either count.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:17:21 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 02:33:19 PM »
Howland was never an option for MU. When there are public pictures of you drinking with your underage players you gotta imagine the private pictures are even worse. Howland knows how to win but is not a good human being. Would have been an awful representative of Marquette.

See the whole drinking with underage players really doesnt bother me at all. I get it from a representing the university standpoint but its not something that bothers me in the slightest.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 03:33:55 PM »
See the whole drinking with underage players really doesnt bother me at all. I get it from a representing the university standpoint but its not something that bothers me in the slightest.

I'm with you on this. I don't think it's something you can call him not a good human being over...