collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Grantland  (Read 697 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
RIP Grantland
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:25:38 AM »
I suppose it was a matter of time after Simmons left, but I'm going to miss Grantland's writing and podcasts.  I probably averaged one Grantland podcast a day, and Grantland and Scoop probably account for 80% of my non-news internet time, with Grantland accounting for most of that- so, either more time on Scoop or more time to smell the roses, I suppose.  I guess our MU friend Charlie Pierce still has his primary gig at Esquire.

Grantland was just such a great mix of sports and guy-centric pop culture.   Smart and humorous writing on football, hockey, and (mostly pro, admittedly) basketball. 

brandx

Re: RIP Grantland
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
I suppose it was a matter of time after Simmons left, but I'm going to miss Grantland's writing and podcasts.  I probably averaged one Grantland podcast a day, and Grantland and Scoop probably account for 80% of my non-news internet time, with Grantland accounting for most of that- so, either more time on Scoop or more time to smell the roses, I suppose.  I guess our MU friend Charlie Pierce still has his primary gig at Esquire.

Grantland was just such a great mix of sports and guy-centric pop culture.   Smart and humorous writing on football, hockey, and (mostly pro, admittedly) basketball.

It was the best Internet mag around. By far. But Simmons is doing quite well without ESPN.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
It was a tremendous site and I spent almost as much time there as I did at Scoop.  Fair or not, it had trended down after Simmons left so I'm not shocked that ESPN pulled the plug.  Goes to show you that ESPN has some pretty confusing intent that while they were killing Grantland, Screamin' Stephen A was hosting SportsCenter.  I can't imagine that 538 is long for this world either with this outcome.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
It was a tremendous site and I spent almost as much time there as I did at Scoop.  Fair or not, it had trended down after Simmons left so I'm not shocked that ESPN pulled the plug.  Goes to show you that ESPN has some pretty confusing intent that while they were killing Grantland, Screamin' Stephen A was hosting SportsCenter.  I can't imagine that 538 is long for this world either with this outcome.

Agreed about 538.  And "Black Grantland" aka The Undefeated hasn't gotten off the ground in two years.