collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Well this is a good look for Milwaukee...  (Read 23056 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Well this is a good look for Milwaukee...
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 12:47:21 AM »
Why did he proceed to do business there?

My guess, the business will do just fine especially if they do this as a regular occurrence with customers across the board.  It won't be knocked down to zero if that is an action they have take before regardless of race, gender, etc if they can show it was done for safety without malice.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 01:24:17 AM »
New yelp reviews:

Also has some new google reviews

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 05:34:35 AM »
Why did he proceed to do business there?

My guess, the business will do just fine especially if they do this as a regular occurrence with customers across the board.  It won't be knocked down to zero if that is an action they have take before regardless of race, gender, etc if they can show it was done for safety without malice.

not so sure??  problem here is mr. dixon should have had his side of the story out/press conference, like as soon as that twitter hit the air waves.  that band of silence from him and the police was an eternity.  gave people time to "surmise" and also made it look like dixon et.al needed time to get their "story straight".  jesse and all have had a real drop off in business-they'll be here any minute now. 

maybe, just maybe if mr dixon takes off his white hoodie(joke), and floods the airwaves with apologies and ?? he'll get through this somewhat, but there will be a brown spot that will be hard to remove.  he waited too long to 'splain his side of the story...now, will it fly?
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »
The police just released a statement saying that, even after they identified who he was and that he was there to buy his first Rolex, that the people at the jeweler asked the police to "stand by as they looked at the Rolexes."  (He had a friend with him.)

Yeah no racial profiling going on here. Wow.

Yep.  Racist.  I read the police report.  Cops seemed to act in a friendly, courteous manner asking reasonable questions and then accepting the answers from Mr. Henson without any undo pressure.  My sincere hope is that John will recognize that they did their duty in a reasonable and professional manner when responding to a call of supposed suspicious activity.  AFTER those facts had been determined store employees still asked the officers to come around back and further asked then to remain while Mr. Henson looked at watches.  Are you freakin' kidding me?  Appropriately, the officers steadfastly refused that ridiculous request and resumed their normal patrols.  My hope is that they shook John's hand and wished him well on the season as they departed.   Lastly, the 'suspicious' red Tahoe incident from Friday night was used as an excuse.  There is zero evidence that those gentlemen on Friday had any malicious intent.

Topper mentions that the store is 'always' locked and that patrons are buzzed in.  I wonder if the Jewish looking elderly lady is routinely treated differently that a 20 something black man?  Ya think?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:16:38 AM by jsglow »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »
Sultan and Glow nailed it.

According to the WBPD, the employees still asked police to stay AFTER IT WAS EXPLAINED WHO HENSON WAS.  Kudos to WhiteFolks Bay PD for politely declining that request and making on their way.

I'm certain the owner feels bad about this, and I also have no reason to suspect he's any more racist than the average member of the social justice brigade who's out in full force this morning.  But he hired some damn morons to work for him, and it's going to cost him.

Then again, there's no such thing as bad publicity.  Henson may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to this store... depends on how the cards are played.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »
In the store owner's defense, the police report does indicate that they told him to call back if the red Tahoe returned.  So, the second call to the police was justified in that regard.

But, I can't for the life of me figure out why they still would have had any problem whatsoever once they were told that it was someone from the Bucks.  I would imagine that "professional athlete" is on the very short list of best possible customers a jeweler could have walk into his shop on any given day. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 08:53:07 AM »
Yep.  Racist.  I read the police report.  Cops seemed to act in a friendly, courteous manner asking reasonable questions and then accepting the answers from Mr. Henson without any undo pressure.  My sincere hope is that John will recognize that they did their duty in a reasonable and professional manner when responding to a call of supposed suspicious activity.  AFTER those facts had been determined store employees still asked the officers to come around back and further asked then to remain while Mr. Henson looked at watches.  Are you freakin' kidding me?  Appropriately, the officers steadfastly refused that ridiculous request and resumed their normal patrols.  My hope is that they shook John's hand and wished him well on the season as they departed.   Lastly, the 'suspicious' red Tahoe incident from Friday night was used as an excuse.  There is zero evidence that those gentlemen on Friday had any malicious intent.

Topper mentions that the store is 'always' locked and that patrons are buzzed in.  I wonder if the Jewish looking elderly lady is routinely treated differently that a 20 something black man?  Ya think?

You're correct that the men in the suspicious Tahoe on Friday did nothing wrong. However, the police informed the store that the dealer plates may have been stolen and that they should notify police if the car returns. It's understandable that when the "same" vehicle returned, the employees would be a little on edge, especially considering there have been recent robberies. I honestly have no issue with anything done up to that point. The problem arose when the employees learned who he was and do not immediately begin apologizing, explaining the previous issue with the red Tahoe and apologizing some more. Then they took it a step further by requesting that the police stay while he shopped! That was the most ridiculous part. They know his car, they know who he is, they presumably know that he has money and they still suspect that he's going to rob the store? That's completely inexcusable.

It doesn't sound like Dixon was there at the time, but hopefully the employees or employees who took the lead in the situation have found themselves looking for work this morning.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 09:06:10 AM »
You're correct that the men in the suspicious Tahoe on Friday did nothing wrong. However, the police informed the store that the dealer plates may have been stolen and that they should notify police if the car returns. It's understandable that when the "same" vehicle returned, the employees would be a little on edge, especially considering there have been recent robberies. I honestly have no issue with anything done up to that point. The problem arose when the employees learned who he was and do not immediately begin apologizing, explaining the previous issue with the red Tahoe and apologizing some more. Then they took it a step further by requesting that the police stay while he shopped! That was the most ridiculous part. They know his car, they know who he is, they presumably know that he has money and they still suspect that he's going to rob the store? That's completely inexcusable.

Agree.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:19 AM »
In the store owner's defense, the police report does indicate that they told him to call back if the red Tahoe returned.  So, the second call to the police was justified in that regard.

But, I can't for the life of me figure out why they still would have had any problem whatsoever once they were told that it was someone from the Bucks.  I would imagine that "professional athlete" is on the very short list of best possible customers a jeweler could have walk into his shop on any given day.

One of the things that could beat that out is "professional athlete who just signed a contract extension," and, oh, by the way, that'd be John Henson.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/2/9211201/john-henson-milwaukee-bucks-contract-early-extension-2015
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 09:17:39 AM »
One of the things that could beat that out is "professional athlete who just signed a contract extension," and, oh, by the way, that'd be John Henson.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/2/9211201/john-henson-milwaukee-bucks-contract-early-extension-2015

This seems appropriate.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
Again, am I misunderstanding but did Mr Henson despite this treatment stay to purchase a watch?

That was unclear to me...are there details around this?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
He apparently looked at the watches but didn't make a purchase.  Not sure why that is relevant.  Perhaps he simply wanted to make a point.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 09:29:54 AM »
Again, am I misunderstanding but did Mr Henson despite this treatment stay to purchase a watch?

That was unclear to me...are there details around this?

Was speaking with a co-worker about this issue this morning and Henson staying to browse was brought up. He said that if Henson had simply left, it would have been almost like admitting that the employees were right and he really was up to no good. By sticking around and browsing through the store, he showed that their preconceived notions about him were incorrect.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »
This is akin to a jeweler in Seattle freaking out because of a robbery in Portland.

People who don't think racial profiling is a reality are almost always white...

I believe racism and racial profiling exists and is widespread.  -- So it's pretty awesome that in this case, we have two scenarios to examine. 

Previously, Henson visited Schwanke-Kasten, they evaluated that same tall black man and buzzed him in, let him shop.   Must have been a decent experience, since he wanted to revisit the store.

So ..  What was different yesterday?  He was still black, of course.

Remove the remove the phone call and closing early, remove the report of a possibly stolen plate on a red Tahoe, remove the PD advice that if the Tahoe comes back, call us... and what do you get? 

Henson getting in, like he did before.  Just a rich guy buying a Rolex.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
Was speaking with a co-worker about this issue this morning and Henson staying to browse was brought up. He said that if Henson had simply left, it would have been almost like admitting that the employees were right and he really was up to no good. By sticking around and browsing through the store, he showed that their preconceived notions about him were incorrect.

And he also probably got a good chance to look at the watches and figure out what he liked.  And now he can buy it elsewhere.  I'm not a watch guy, but I'm told that you can get them much cheaper online.  Or, he can always pick one up while on the road.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
I believe racism and racial profiling exists and is widespread.  -- So it's pretty awesome that in this case, we have two scenarios to examine. 

Previously, Henson visited Schwanke-Kasten, they evaluated that same tall black man and buzzed him in, let him shop.   Must have been a decent experience, since he wanted to revisit the store.

So ..  What was different yesterday?  He was still black, of course.

Remove the remove the phone call and closing early, remove the report of a possibly stolen plate on a red Tahoe, remove the PD advice that if the Tahoe comes back, call us... and what do you get? 

Henson getting in, like he did before.  Just a rich guy buying a Rolex.

Conveniently forgetting about employees asking the police to stick around...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 09:35:12 AM »

It doesn't sound like Dixon was there at the time, but hopefully the employees or employees who took the lead in the situation have found themselves looking for work this morning.

On the same page.  Although I wonder exactly what would have provoked the Friday call in the first place?  If I'm not mistaken the facts on the ground at that moment were that someone had called on Thursday and Friday inquiring about the store's hours and that a seemingly separate Milwaukee store had once been robbed and that Whitefish Bay had been robbed once in the past couple of years.  So the store had a single previous incident and the word was out that Rolex dealers were being targeted by 'those' people.  I don't believe that we have a description of the Friday customers but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist.  So again, the cops trying to be a bit conservative suggest that if the red Tahoe shows up again to give them a jingle.

Here's the problem.  The store employees allowed this all to build up in their mind over the weekend.  'Those' people are reportedly targeting Rolex dealers.  People sounding like 'those' people called about our hours and had the audacity to show up when we would normally be open.  Then a horrible robbery occurs over the weekend 120 miles away.

Even when given a chance to reflect for a moment on Monday following the police encounter, they couldn't let it go as their own delusion and a very unfortunate misunderstanding. 

Frankly, I'm glad John Instagramed it.  HIS courage in not just sweeping it under the rug for the sake of the next TV commercial seeks to improve the human condition.  John Henson can be the big winner out of this and can set an example for all folks to follow with his words/actions going forward.   

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »
once they knew it was JOHN freakin HENSON, so what if he was with an acquaintance.  if any funny stuff happens, they know exactly who to contact first. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 09:46:47 AM »

Conveniently forgetting about employees asking the police to stick around...

+100.

There should have been an 'Oh Sh*t' moment.  I almost get the rest (almost).  But when that moment didn't immediately happen.......... Character revealed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2015, 09:47:01 AM »
He apparently looked at the watches but didn't make a purchase.  Not sure why that is relevant.  Perhaps he simply wanted to make a point.

It could be relevant, though doubtful it is here. 

Granted, there's no excuse for being racist, but race-baiting someone so you can call them out seems just as inexcusable.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »

Granted, there's no excuse for being racist, but race-baiting someone so you can call them out seems just as inexcusable.

There's no evidence.  John's 25 years old.  Perhaps in the moment he thought it the gentlemanly thing to do.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
There's no evidence.  John's 25 years old.  Perhaps in the moment he thought it the gentlemanly thing to do.

Again

Emphasis added.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 10:03:12 AM »
On the same page.  Although I wonder exactly what would have provoked the Friday call in the first place?  If I'm not mistaken the facts on the ground at that moment were that someone had called on Thursday and Friday inquiring about the store's hours and that a seemingly separate Milwaukee store had once been robbed and that Whitefish Bay had been robbed once in the past couple of years.  So the store had a single previous incident and the word was out that Rolex dealers were being targeted by 'those' people.  I don't believe that we have a description of the Friday customers but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist.  So again, the cops trying to be a bit conservative suggest that if the red Tahoe shows up again to give them a jingle.

Here's the problem.  The store employees allowed this all to build up in their mind over the weekend.  'Those' people are reportedly targeting Rolex dealers.  People sounding like 'those' people called about our hours and had the audacity to show up when we would normally be open.  Then a horrible robbery occurs over the weekend 120 miles away.

Even when given a chance to reflect for a moment on Monday following the police encounter, they couldn't let it go as their own delusion and a very unfortunate misunderstanding. 

Frankly, I'm glad John Instagramed it.  HIS courage in not just sweeping it under the rug for the sake of the next TV commercial seeks to improve the human condition.  John Henson can be the big winner out of this and can set an example for all folks to follow with his words/actions going forward.   

IIRC, the burglary suspect in the Green Bay incident was described as a white male in a ski mask.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 10:04:53 AM »
so they closed the store early on Friday when Henson was just arriving after having confirmed via phone that they carried Rolex and would still be open when he got there?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
IIRC, the burglary suspect in the Green Bay incident was described as a white male in a ski mask.

Excellent point.  Perhaps this was not widely known publicly at the time.