'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Noskowiak  (Read 40154 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Noskowiak
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »
It has been mentioned before but the step from casual pharma abuse to heroin abuse is shorter than we like to admit.

I'm 28. My generation was pretty open to experimenting with marijuana, but it sure seems that Gen-X and Boomers were too. It seems like psychedelics like LSD that were so popular in the 60s have faded out and opiates have faded in. Is it that my generation has a more cavalier attitude toward drugs than those past? Or is it just that the "tastes and preferences" have shifted toward a different class of drugs?

Availability. Heroin has seen a spike for two big reasons:

1. you don't just have to inject it anymore. Snortable is a big use lately. Pills. You name it.

2. Pain pills are a lot more common. When I was with Milwaukee co. you saw a lot of blue collar dudes that got hooked on oxy due to a prescription but the street cost was so high they had to get heroin to get their fix when teh well ran dry.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2015, 06:24:15 PM »
I've been hearing from colleagues (including in Milwaukee) that they are seeing a pattern of heroin OD coming from many upper class suburban high schools around the midwest over the last couple of years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
Availability. Heroin has seen a spike for two big reasons:

1. you don't just have to inject it anymore. Snortable is a big use lately. Pills. You name it.

2. Pain pills are a lot more common. When I was with Milwaukee co. you saw a lot of blue collar dudes that got hooked on oxy due to a prescription but the street cost was so high they had to get heroin to get their fix when teh well ran dry.

I picked the wrong month to give up heroin.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2015, 07:43:02 PM »
They are mixing it with other things.    As I mentioned, around here they are mixing it with fentanyl.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »
They are mixing it with other things.    As I mentioned, around here they are mixing it with fentanyl.   

That has to give it quite a kick. Fentanyl makes morphine look like cough drops.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2015, 11:01:06 PM »
a local anesthesiologist just died from fentanyl/heroin overdose.  he must have thought, i'm a professional, i know how use this stuff.  let's see, i'm 6 foot, weigh 195, add the 3, divide by 7, multiply by 2 and whooopsie doopsie
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2015, 06:51:34 AM »
That has to give it quite a kick. Fentanyl makes morphine look like cough drops.

The combination seems to be somewhat more dangerous.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2015, 09:46:34 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2015, 10:15:25 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2015, 11:05:56 AM »
I hope the young man finds some people who have his best interests at heart and then listens to them.    I hope he is able to pull it together. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2015, 11:32:16 AM »
Hope Nick gets some help and can turn things around!

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  3h3 hours ago
It is not a right to play college basketball at the highest level -- it is a privilege. The sooner all players recognize that, the better.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  3h3 hours ago
There have been two players in the last 24 hours -- Darius Paul and Nick Noskowiak -- who failed to understand the privileges they had. Sad.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »
Everyone else is on their soapbox

= irony
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:09:59 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2015, 02:12:27 PM »
Unless you've watched somebody inject heroin you cannot speak to the harm it causes or its potential benefits.
I laughed fwiw
No Finish Line

fjm

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »
I've been hearing from colleagues (including in Milwaukee) that they are seeing a pattern of heroin OD coming from many upper class suburban high schools around the midwest over the last couple of years.

Can confirm. It's been crazy over the last year or so in he ED with Heroin OD's. Really sad. Some of them are kids that have really well paying jobs or are in school for future reputable jobs. Its different.
That said, very bummed for NN.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2015, 09:58:36 PM »
maybe chris herren could help-this is a sad story with a happy ending...so far.  if you read and or watch this movie and don't shed a tear of happiness, well, it's a roller coaster of emotions

excellent book-basketball junkie
excellent movie-unguarded

and for some of those earlier comments diminishing alcohol-read this book.  alcohol was his gateway, but soon was not enough. when he couldn't get his drug(s) of choice, he would get hammered with alcohol.  as someone said in so many words earlier, alcohol is one of the nastiest drugs we have, but because it's legal, it's not so bad-just handle it broalcohol is the root cause of most of our problems-familial, crime, lost time at work, tragedy, it all starts here.  some move on to other drugs-pot, coke, heroin, meth, Rx drugs... some just continue to ruin their lives with alcohol.  it's affects are very non-discriminatory

i think if chris herron were asked, he would come running over hot coals with a gas can in each hand to help this young man-it's what addicts will do for each other...if asked

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2014/10/11/chris-herren-nba-drug-addiction

don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
Didn't see this posted, but here's the link to the report detailing NN's actions that led to the charges.  Pretty crazy story and he's lucky to be alive IMO

http://www.antigodailyjournal.com/index.php?ID=20476
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
Didn't see this posted, but here's the link to the report detailing NN's actions that led to the charges.  Pretty crazy story and he's lucky to be alive IMO

http://www.antigodailyjournal.com/index.php?ID=20476

Thoughts and prayers for the Noskowiak family. It sounds like Nick is battling some very heavy demons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2015, 10:29:57 AM »
Everyone else is on their soapbox but I'm with you.

Agreed.

He wasn't born a drug addict.  He made conscious choices that got himself into this predicament.  And from reading his twitter feed, he doesn't seem like a "good kid who made a mistake."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2015, 10:40:45 AM »
Agreed.

He wasn't born a drug addict.  He made conscious choices that got himself into this predicament.  And from reading his twitter feed, he doesn't seem like a "good kid who made a mistake."

That is a real antiquated way of looking at addiction.  And regardless, even if your line of thinking is 100% accurate, people still can't have empathy for people who get themselves into that situation?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »
Agreed.

There are actually biological and brain chemical and physiological problems where people can be more prone to addiction than others. There could very well be some chemical misfires for nick.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »
The kid needs to get into a mental health facility.   I say this without malice or snark.   The actions described in the police blotter, in conjunction with prior hints, rumors, allegations, indicate a young man in an unhealthy spiral, due to either an internal chemical imbalance,  deep seeded psychological issues, or consumption of recreational pharmaceuticals.    Regardless, he needs to go somewhere, figure out the issues, and hit 'reset'.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2015, 01:11:08 PM »
There are actually biological and brain chemical and physiological problems where people can be more prone to addiction than others. There could very well be some chemical misfires for nick.

Same can be said for other things, aiina?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2015, 01:31:42 PM »
The kid needs to get into a mental health facility.   I say this without malice or snark.   The actions described in the police blotter, in conjunction with prior hints, rumors, allegations, indicate a young man in an unhealthy spiral, due to either an internal chemical imbalance,  deep seeded psychological issues, or consumption of recreational pharmaceuticals.    Regardless, he needs to go somewhere, figure out the issues, and hit 'reset'.

Agreed.  Have thought this since the charges were brought up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »
maybe chris herren could help-this is a sad story with a happy ending...so far.  if you read and or watch this movie and don't shed a tear of happiness, well, it's a roller coaster of emotions

excellent book-basketball junkie
excellent movie-unguarded

and for some of those earlier comments diminishing alcohol-read this book.  alcohol was his gateway, but soon was not enough. when he couldn't get his drug(s) of choice, he would get hammered with alcohol.  as someone said in so many words earlier, alcohol is one of the nastiest drugs we have, but because it's legal, it's not so bad-just handle it bro[/color]alcohol is the root cause of most of our problems-familial, crime, lost time at work, tragedy, it all starts here.  some move on to other drugs-pot, coke, heroin, meth, Rx drugs... some just continue to ruin their lives with alcohol.  it's affects are very non-discriminatory

i think if chris herron were asked, he would come running over hot coals with a gas can in each hand to help this young man-it's what addicts will do for each other...if asked

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2014/10/11/chris-herren-nba-drug-addiction

I disagree that "alcohol is the root cause of most of our problems".  Alcohol is most often the first drug of choice for those seeking to self medicate. However, it is not the reason why people choose to self medicate.  Once someone can stop using alcohol to self medicate, the underlying problems are still there.  In the parlance of addiction recovery; "Sobriety is not recovery".  The one case where alcohol is the primary problem would be someone without a desire to self medicate, but who had a predisposition to alcoholism dependence who became an alcoholic as a result of social drinking.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:03:55 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.