'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Haukar Game Thread  (Read 36048 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Haukar Game Thread
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
JJJ really not good enough to be ahead of sandy or anim? Cmon he was ranked so high

Well maybe we just need to come to the conclusion that he isn't as good as we think. 

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2015, 01:33:04 PM »
OMG!!!!!!!!

May be premature but......

WE'RE  BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
Believe it or not he's actually really improved in the last year.

Missed the interview. Thought the new prez was supposed to be a slick talking fundraiser guy.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »
Final Four or bust

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »
They're interviewing Duane now (paraphrasing):

Haukar is a pro team thats been together a long time.
We won the third and fourth quarter.
Valuable experience.  We need to continue to get better.
Coach told me I need to lead.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
Will be very interested to see how Haukar does in there upcoming game against Georgetown, I actually thought they were very solid.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2015, 01:36:26 PM »
Will be very interested to see how Haukar does in there upcoming game against Georgetown, I actually thought they were very solid.
Of course, G-Town now has a scouting report on Haukar. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2015, 01:36:42 PM »
Any thoughts on Wally at all?

Wally fouled out in the third quarter. All ticky tack fouls. Solid on defense. Nothing on offense
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »
This team might be really frickin good.  Carter looked comfortable at PG, and wasn't afraid to shoot the three. That alone is going to open up things in the middle.  Luke looked healthy and strong.  The baby hook is a beautiful thing.  Duane is the captain of this team, and considering his a RS SO, that makes me giddy.  Henry is going to be special (did he play the whole game?), I will just leave it at that.  Sandy looked quite a bit stronger. 

All in all, I was quite impressed, especially considering no Hannif, who I think will be one of better players. 

Lets fu**in' goooo...is it November yet?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »

Agreed.  They're a well prepared, pro team.  This took an outstanding late effort by the Warriors.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »
Thoughts...

• Duane was a star today. Hopefully he can put together a season like this, he was a bit mercurial last season. We need him to be consistently good.
  • Henry is a talent. The word for his offense is smooth. Needs to box out better, but he does a good job of controlling rebounds. Uses his arms well to secure the ball high.
  • Traci Carter was very good, the bright spot for me. I liked the nickname the foreign announcer gave him, "The Engine". Feels apropos.
  • Free throws were horrible. But improved as the game went on.
  • The floor was awful. Seriously dangerous out there. Felt the game was slipping away in more ways than one before that late run.
  • Hard to know how significant this is. Haukar looked competitive, but it seems like they're a mid-level Icelandic team. Not exactly a marquee league. Good for the team, but hard to say how good.
  • Second half was much better. Marquette gave up a lot of back door cuts, second chances, and open threes early. Improved quite a bit later. After losing the first two quarters, they tied in the third and really dominated the last 5 minutes of the fourth.
  • Sandy looks improved. Still starts his shot too low, but hit some threes, showed his strength, and was overall fairly effective.
  • Fischer was solid. Yeoman's effort today. Him and Hank will be a load together.
  • Of the bench players, Sacar Anim looks like he'll get early minutes, possibly ahead of JJJ and Wally. Had some freshman mistakes, but plays hard, decent defense, and lots of energy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
This team might be really frickin good.  Carter looked comfortable at PG, and wasn't afraid to shoot the three. That alone is going to open up things in the middle.  Luke looked healthy and strong.  The baby hook is a beautiful thing.  Duane is the captain of this team, and considering his a RS SO, that makes me giddy.  Henry is going to be special (did he play the whole game?), I will just leave it at that.  Sandy looked quite a bit stronger. 

All in all, I was quite impressed, especially considering no Hannif, who I think will be one of better players. 

Lets fu**in' goooo...is it November yet?

+1

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »
Any thoughts on Wally at all?

How is the other team?  Better than some BE teams we'll see?

Right after Wojo got extremely fired up and you could hear him yelling on the broadcast, Wally was the one who came out most fired up. On the next play he had defensive intensity and was scurrying around everywhere. Got a few cheap foul calls but at the least looks like a great energy guy. He had one shot around the basket that was a bit wild.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2015, 01:41:32 PM »
This is how I expect the Belmont game to go.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »
Thoughts...

• Duane was a star today. Hopefully he can put together a season like this, he was a bit mercurial last season. We need him to be consistently good.
  • Henry is a talent. The word for his offense is smooth. Needs to box out better, but he does a good job of controlling rebounds. Uses his arms well to secure the ball high.
  • Traci Carter was very good, the bright spot for me. I liked the nickname the foreign announcer gave him, "The Engine". Feels apropos.
  • Free throws were horrible. But improved as the game went on.
  • The floor was awful. Seriously dangerous out there. Felt the game was slipping away in more ways than one before that late run.
  • Hard to know how significant this is. Haukar looked competitive, but it seems like they're a mid-level Icelandic team. Not exactly a marquee league. Good for the team, but hard to say how good.
  • Second half was much better. Marquette gave up a lot of back door cuts, second chances, and open threes early. Improved quite a bit later. After losing the first two quarters, they tied in the third and really dominated the last 5 minutes of the fourth.
  • Sandy looks improved. Still starts his shot too low, but hit some threes, showed his strength, and was overall fairly effective.
  • Fischer was solid. Yeoman's effort today. Him and Hank will be a load together.
  • Of the bench players, Sacar Anim looks like he'll get early minutes, possibly ahead of JJJ and Wally. Had some freshman mistakes, but plays hard, decent defense, and lots of energy.

Spot on.  And let's remember that we've had 10 practices.  This team can be pretty good.  The talent level ls light years ahead of last year.  The ONLY position that may drop off somewhat is Carlino > Sandy.  The other 4 are significantly stronger even here in August.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »
I'm not gonna get too excited one way or another.  First time meshing for the guys.

Carter looked more than solid against mediocre white dudes, which is good.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2015, 01:55:55 PM »
I thought most of the comments were spot on. I wouldn't give up on JJJ just yet. He's going to have some good games this year. I'd bet on it. Hopefully he can be more consistent throughout the year and be a major contributor.

I'm not worried about the free throws just yet. Let's not also forget they played in a hot/wet gym, new basketball, and a 24 second shot clock. That's some adjustment for a team that has only a few practices under their belt.

I don't feel that team was very good but we definitely have LOTS of potential and good way to start the season. Especially seeing how some of the guys stepped up in crunch time. But I am still going into season with tempered expectations.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »
I'm not gonna get too excited one way or another.  First time meshing for the guys.

This.

The encouraging thing I take from this is they were gassed by the end of it, and still closed strong. Henry looked like he was gonna pass out in the fourth quarter but kept making plays.

It's also really good that they played a team that could shoot it. Exposed their flaws on defense, which led to offensive boards. The coaches can point these things out on film easily.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2015, 01:59:43 PM »
Anyone know when the G-town Haukar game is? Livestream? Would be interesting to see how likely tourney team matches up with haukar.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2015, 01:59:47 PM »
This.

The encouraging thing I take from this is they were gassed by the end of it, and still closed strong. Henry looked like he was gonna pass out in the fourth quarter but kept making plays.

It's also really good that they played a team that could shoot it. Exposed their flaws on defense, which led to offensive boards. The coaches can point these things out on film easily.

Agreed, love the one on one defensive pressure but rotations were rough when they got bumped off of screens. Also, this is the tallest MU team in decades, there's should not be that many offensive rebounds.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2015, 02:01:59 PM »
I thought Haukar played VERY well and is a talented, together team.  Sure they're not full of top 100 American recruits but the fact that this group had been together so long had them playing Euro ball really well.  They made very few mistakes and capitalized on our's.  This was no gimme game and the Warriors really had to dig deep.  Well earned victory and great building block.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »
...This was no gimme game and the Warriors really had to dig deep...
You spelled "Golden Bears" wrong.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
I thought most of the comments were spot on. I wouldn't give up on JJJ just yet. He's going to have some good games this year. I'd bet on it. Hopefully he can be more consistent throughout the year and be a major contributor.

Well if we end up playing ASU we can count on at least one good game from JJJ
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2015, 02:04:40 PM »
Agreed, love the one on one defensive pressure but rotations were rough when they got bumped off of screens. Also, this is the tallest MU team in decades, there's should not be that many offensive rebounds.

At one point we ran out a lineup with Duane (6'2"), Anim (6'5"), Sandy (6'6"), Ellenson (6'10"), and Fischer (6'11"). That's some great size.

I also thought Haukar was a solid team. Not elite, but to compare them to our level of play, the kind of team that gets into the tournament as a 13/14 seed and gives some higher seed hell for 40 minutes. Great shooting team, spaced the floor well, and great on the back door cuts. Very fundamentally solid, though they did run out of gas at the end.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »

I also thought Haukar was a solid team. Not elite, but to compare them to our level of play, the kind of team that gets into the tournament as a 13/14 seed and gives some higher seed hell for 40 minutes. Great shooting team, spaced the floor well, and great on the back door cuts. Very fundamentally solid, though they did run out of gas at the end.

So they're Davidson?
Maigh Eo for Sam