'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:15:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Philly SF Prospect Lamar Stevens has MU on list of 8  (Read 8059 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Philly SF Prospect Lamar Stevens has MU on list of 8
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »
Uh oh....Philly....

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »
Where is PhillyCoach when you need him?!?!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »
I think Stevens may know Carter.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 01:05:52 PM »
I've watched quite a bit of Team Final again this year... familiar with Lamar. Some thoughts:

- PHYSICAL. Lots of contact in his game, both on offense and defense. Always up for taking on bigger defenders and does so aggressively. Can play bigger than 6'6".
- College position - Depending on what you want to do with him, 3/2/4. His ball handling is good enough where you may be able to have him play off guard. Because of his physicality, some defenders would really struggle with him. His strength and grit/determination is such that even at his height you could have him play some 4. Solid rebounder for his size. Can be a mean customer. (Plus, 6'6" is the normal height of an MU PF.) Probably best fit at a HM D-I is at 3. Most "natural fit" is probably 4. He's a guy who can defend a number of different player types and is a strong, all-around contributor.
- Not a guy who bombs from three - he looks to attack off the dribble and get to the bucket; can knock down mid-range shots, but most of what I've seen is him doing work in the paint. And it's good work.
- Will register a good amount of both blocks and steals in college.

Stevens would be a nice add.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 01:17:02 PM »
Thanks for the info --- sounds like Crowder's younger brother

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »
Thanks for the info --- sounds like Crowder's younger brother

That's actually a pretty good comp. Don't see Stevens' defensive rebounding as having a ceiling that gets into Crowder-territory, and a big part of Jae's game was 3-point shooting, but otherwise there are a lot of similarities.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
Bump.   With this guy now being tagged for MU with Coffey theoretically going elsewhere, time to get this discussion going. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »
Bump.   With this guy now being tagged for MU with Coffey theoretically going elsewhere, time to get this discussion going.

Mark Miller is very successful in his Marquette predictions so I feel good about the call he made yesterday.

Stevens is a tough, strong slasher who can cover the SF or PF.

Best analysis I have seen on his game is in the below link:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1574346-lamar-stevens-evaluation

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 08:36:20 PM »
The article says he is very right hand dominant.   JB, have you seen any indication that he is working on his left?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 08:39:43 PM »
The article says he is very right hand dominant.   JB, have you seen any indication that he is working on his left?

(Insert lame gay joke).

-JayBee
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »
Sometimes.   Usually not when discussing high school basketball players, though. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »
I've watched quite a bit of Team Final again this year... familiar with Lamar. Some thoughts:

- PHYSICAL. Lots of contact in his game, both on offense and defense. Always up for taking on bigger defenders and does so aggressively. Can play bigger than 6'6".
- College position - Depending on what you want to do with him, 3/2/4. His ball handling is good enough where you may be able to have him play off guard. Because of his physicality, some defenders would really struggle with him. His strength and grit/determination is such that even at his height you could have him play some 4. Solid rebounder for his size. Can be a mean customer. (Plus, 6'6" is the normal height of an MU PF.) Probably best fit at a HM D-I is at 3. Most "natural fit" is probably 4. He's a guy who can defend a number of different player types and is a strong, all-around contributor.
- Not a guy who bombs from three - he looks to attack off the dribble and get to the bucket; can knock down mid-range shots, but most of what I've seen is him doing work in the paint. And it's good work.

Well done, JB. As always, your insights are very welcome.

Since you are familiar with both Coffey and Stevens who would you say would be the better fit with Wojo's system and the team he has assembled?

I will hang up and listen to your response.

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »

Just saw this for the first time and have to say I agree from what I've seen. Stevens is very good at finishing through contact and using his frame to both score and get to the line in traffic. With our current roster, I think he'd likely project as a 4 on this team, especially if Henry leaves early.

His body reminds me a bit of Jae in that he isn't the tallest, but has the frame to bang down low and with a year or two of development could be a real terror down low.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback