[June 09, 2024, 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MattVelazquezSays]Marquette to open season against Belmont as part of Legends Classic  (Read 8883 times)

MattVelazquezSays

Marquette to open season against Belmont as part of Legends Classic

<br /><br />The countdown to the Marquette men's basketball 2015-'16 season officially stands at 126 days with the announcement that the Golden Eagles will open at home against Belmont on November 13 as part of the Regional Round of the Legends Classic, according to a release on Thursday.<br />
Source: Marquette to open season against Belmont as part of Legends Classic

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
May need to work out of NYC w/o Thanksgiving.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Marquette to open season against Belmont as part of Legends Classic

The countdown to the Marquette men's basketball 2015-'16 season officially stands at 126 days with the announcement that the Golden Eagles will open at home against Belmont on November 13 as part of the Regional Round of the Legends Classic, according to a release on Thursday.

Source: Marquette to open season against Belmont as part of Legends Classic

I don't like this as a season opener. A team returning that much of the core is going to be better suited to open the season than we will.  Plus Belmont is one of the few mid majors that you cannot underestimate. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
soon come:

The rest of Marquette's nonconference schedule is expected to be announced next week

swoopem

• All American
Anyone know of any MU bars in Indy? I'll be down there for a wedding on the 14th so it'd be nice to watch the game with some fellow fans/alum.
Bring back FFP!!!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
I don't like this as a season opener. A team returning that much of the core is going to be better suited to open the season than we will.  Plus Belmont is one of the few mid majors that you cannot underestimate. 

Ah, can you say Italy trip?  More p time when it matters the most, before others can do it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Ah, can you say Italy trip?  More p time when it matters the most, before others can do it.

I agree it'll help and I hope it'd make up for experience vs talent. But that was a good Belmont team last year and I think they'll be better than we think.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American

Perhaps, but this is Belmont. They're not even the best team in Nashville!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
I agree it'll help and I hope it'd make up for experience vs talent. But that was a good Belmont team last year and I think they'll be better than we think.

Giving Virginia a scare in the NCAA tourney is something to hang one's hat on.  I didn't realize that they beat Murray State to win the OVC tourney either.  Maybe we'll catch them overconfident.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bradley center bat

• All American
I would rather play Belmont for Marquette's season opener with a big student crowd on a Friday night, than a Monday night with maybe 7,000 people in the building.

Jay Bee

• All American
Hopefully we bounce back OK after the 0-1 start.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hubert Davis

• Starter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Marquette will be a better team than Belmont by the end of the year. Whether or not they will be the better team at the beginning of the year is another question.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
I would rather play Belmont for Marquette's season opener with a big student crowd on a Friday night, than a Monday night with maybe 7,000 people in the building.

Agreed. A Friday night crowd should be well-oiled, especially in the student section.

Really glad this group will have the Italy tour, and an exhibition game. It will be nice to have some game experience as a group before playing a veteran team.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Marquette will be a better team than Belmont by the end of the year. Whether or not they will be the better team at the beginning of the year is another question.

My thoughts exactly. I think it'll be a tougher game than most expect.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American

Most but not the astute here on scoop.  We know Belmont will be a very solid opponent.  Something I'm also sure both the coaching staff and players similarly understand.  We'll be ready.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Belmont is likely going to be very good. From an RPI perspective, this is the best possible opponent out of the Legends home game possibilities. From a winning perspective, MU had better bring it from day one.

When was the last time we lost a home opener? I don't think it will happen, but this is the type of team that it could happen against.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
We lost to Duke in pre-season NIT when McIllvanie was a freshmen. I do not remember, if we lost one since then.

jsglow

• All American
Wiki indicates that we lost to South Alabama 67-54 in 2000-01 in the pre-season NIT.

4everwarriors

• All American
Wiki indicates that we lost to South Alabama 67-54 in 2000-01 in the pre-season NIT.
[/

Easily 'plained since T-Cubed was drawin' an MU paycheck as head coach then, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
We had a tie on the Yorktown.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Jackson State and Grambling announced today. Not a fan of either.

tower912

• All American
Jackson State and Grambling announced today. Not a fan of either.

We have a tough enough non-con.   I want as many cupcakes as possible because I simply don't yet share the unbridled optimism about the 15-16 team.   Too much reliance on too many young guys and not enough depth up front.     I would love to jump on the bandwagon, but I am in 'show-me' mode.    So, bring on the cupcakes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
We have a tough enough non-con.   I want as many cupcakes as possible because I simply don't yet share the unbridled optimism about the 15-16 team.   Too much reliance on too many young guys and not enough depth up front.     I would love to jump on the bandwagon, but I am in 'show-me' mode.    So, bring on the cupcakes.   

This may be the weakest non-con we've had in recent memory. Only 4 high-major opponents, and thus far no known mid-majors. The annual Wisconsin game. Two neutral site games (LSU, NC State/ASU winner), Iowa at home. That's only 4 games that provide any real challenge. 9 cupcakes after that? Way too many. Especially when STH numbers are already dropping. No one buys their tickets anticipating Jackson State or Grambling.

If this team is going to show anyone anything, and especially if they are going to prove anything, they need better opponents. Come tourney time, beating teams like these do more harm than good.

source?

• All American
This may be the weakest non-con we've had in recent memory. Only 4 high-major opponents, and thus far no known mid-majors. The annual Wisconsin game. Two neutral site games (LSU, NC State/ASU winner), Iowa at home. That's only 4 games that provide any real challenge. 9 cupcakes after that? Way too many. Especially when STH numbers are already dropping. No one buys their tickets anticipating Jackson State or Grambling.

If this team is going to show anyone anything, and especially if they are going to prove anything, they need better opponents. Come tourney time, beating teams like these do more harm than good.

Is Belmont, the title opponent of this thread, not considered a known mid-major? They've made the NCCAs 5 out of the last 6 years and return a solid squad. I count 3 cupcakes (IUPUI, Grambling, Jackson State) and otherwise some decent competition. I look forward to the rest of the schedule being announced.