Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] Golden Eagle Profile - Maurice Acker  (Read 1058 times)

GoMarquetteSays

[GoMarquette.com] Golden Eagle Profile - Maurice Acker
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:45:07 PM »
Golden Eagle Profile - Maurice Acker

Dec. 2, 2007

by Megan Miller

There is a new face on the court for the 2007-08 Golden Eagles, but if you look close enough you might realize you've seen him before.

Sophomore guard Maurice Acker has been a member of the Marquette basketball team for over a year, though this is his first season competing on the court.

After completing his freshman season at Ball State University, Acker transferred to Marquette, but had to spend a season on the bench due to NCAA transfer rules.

At Ball State, Acker racked up numerous accolades, including being named the Mid-American Conference's Rookie of the Year in 2006. He also earned a spot on the MAC All-Freshman team, averaging 9.2 ppg, 4.6 apg and 2.4 rpg as a freshman.

Despite being thrilled to join the Marquette basketball team, Acker struggled with being relegated to watching MU games last season. As a freshman at Ball State, Acker started all 28 games, so spectating from the bench was a new challenge for him.

"Sitting out last year wasn't a good experience," Acker said. "It's good now that I am back on the court. It was a little miserable, not being able to play. I just had to watch the game, but I certainly picked up a lot of interesting things by being a coach on the bench. Learning the game from the sideline view helped me a lot."

Viewing from the sidelines gave Acker the chance to watch and learn a new system, and even scout players he would eventually face on the court.

"It was a good thing to watch and learn how other players played, and find what their strengths and weaknesses were," said Acker. "I picked up on a lot of that, so that was a positive advantage to having to be on the bench for a season." Acker was allowed to practice with his team, but had to remain on the bench for all MU games. He participated in all lifting sessions, watched film with the team and traveled to all road contests, but his only competition came from his teammates in daily practice.

"I think that was the hardest part about sitting out for the year. Everyday we had practice and my mindset was not always there because I was thinking about how I never got any payoff in getting to play games," Acker said.

Prior to the beginning of Marquette's season Acker had not played in front of a crowd since leaving Ball State. It is hard to re-create the atmosphere of playing in front of screaming fans, whether they be for the home team, or a rowdy opposing crowd, throwing insults without regret. Acker is still adjusting to playing in the game environment.

"I think I still am just getting a feel for the team and the environment," Acker said. "That has been the hardest adjustment so far. I am working on getting caught up to it all."

Acker got a surprise when Tim Buckley was named as an assistant coach on the MU coaching staff in the summer of 2007. Acker was recruited to Ball State when Buckley was the head coach of the Cardinals, and he considers Buckley a mentor. Though he had already decided to play for the Golden Eagles, learning he was going to have the chance to play for Buckley again excited Acker and was certainly an added bonus in choosing Marquette.

"I was really excited, and honestly shocked when I found out he would be coming to MU," Acker admitted. "It was a rare chance that I was going to meet up with Coach Buckley again. He has helped me out with a lot of things as far as school, off the court and on the court stuff. He is there for me all of the time." Buckley echoes the sentiment and sees a lot of potential in Acker and his ability to contribute to the Golden Eagles.

"I am really glad to be reunited with Maurice," Buckley said. "As a player Maurice has a will about him. When he imposes that will defensively and offensively he makes an impact on the game. His will must be consistent for him and us as a team to be successful."

Buckley is not the only familiar face to Acker on his new team. Transferring to Marquette also reunited Acker with his close friend and former teammate Jerel McNeal. The two have been playing together since they were in fifth grade and both went to Hillcrest High School in Hazelcrest, Ill.

Acker admits that while he ultimately made the decision to transfer on his own, McNeal did have a bit of an influence. McNeal is glad he could play a part in Acker's decision to transfer to the Golden Eagles.

"Jerel had an influence on my decision. I talked to him before and after they offered me a scholarship and made sure that he gave me the scoop on everything," Acker said.

Added McNeal, "It was definitely his (Acker's) decision in the end, but I do think I swayed him a bit to come here. I'm excited that he came because I have the chance to have my old high school teammate here and one of my best friends. It's made this whole college experience more of a home for us."

After seven years playing basketball together, Acker and McNeal have become very comfortable on the court together. They developed silent codes and feed off of each other's energy and talent.

"It's a real good feeling being on the court with Jerel again," Acker said. "I always know where he is at on the court and can always tell what he is about to do."

McNeal also believes his long-time bond with Acker on the court will benefit MU hoops.

"When you've been playing together with someone for so long, you just know what they are about to do and know what kind of player they are," McNeal said. "I can tell exactly where he is going to be or what his next pass is going to be. It's really comfortable having Maurice on the court with me."

Acker acknowledges that it is an advantage to play with McNeal again. The duo shares an on-court attitude that is sure to push the Golden Eagles.

"I think the two of us being on the court together will bring a lot of energy. We'll get everybody involved and hyped up to play," said Acker.

After a year of only playing basketball in practice, Acker is excited now that the season is underway. His role as a supporter on the bench has changed into a contributor on the court.

Though only considered a sophomore in terms of his eligibility, Acker displays a leadership mentality. He is focused on bringing everyone together on the court, ensuring every player is involved in the game in order to find the best shot selection and stay positive and energetic when playing defense.

"I think I can bring everyone together and get everyone involved, whether it means penetrating, then kicking the ball to the open man, or penetrating and then dropping down to find the big guy," Acker said.

Acker is hoping to transition from his bench role into more of a vocal leadership position on the court. "I'm definitely focused on becoming more vocal on the court," said Acker. "That is one of my main focuses this season."

Acker is known as an unselfish player. He averaged 4.6 assists per game at Ball State and averaged over eights assists as a high school player. He works hard to pass the ball and find the best open option.

"Maurice is a great passer," McNeal said. "I think that is something that our team had been lacking- someone who flat-out gets the ball and makes other people better. That is the thing he brings to the game more than anything else. He can get the ball to his teammates and makes everyone around him better at an unbelievable rate."

Ball State is a member of the Mid-American Conference, so Acker is adjusting to bigger players and tougher competition, with five other BIG EAST schools among the Top-25 in the nation. Though he was able to scout conference players last season on the bench, playing against them will be a new experience.

continued on page 48 ... "I think the transition is going to be a little different. The games are going to be more physical than they were in the MAC," said Acker. "I'm going to be playing against taller guys than I did, and I think that the games are going to be tougher because the BIG EAST is one of the best conferences."

McNeal believes that Acker is going to benefit from switching conferences as well as sharing the court together again.

"This is a chance for him to play in a better league than he played in previously," said McNeal. "He is playing closer to home and he gets the opportunity to play with people that he already knew and had a relationship with."

Acker is confident in his decision to transfer. He is integrated into the playing system and as of November 20, he has seen action in each of MU's first three games, dishing out four assists.

"It's been a good feeling this season," Acker said. "Everyone wants to win and everyone is motivated to be number one. That is one of the best things about this team."

Like his teammates, Maurice Acker is thinking big for the Golden Eagles this season. Having high expectations, Acker also realizes what it will take for MU to achieve their goals this season.

"Everyone wants to be a national champion, but it takes a lot of hard work," Acker said. "We have the possibility to win a national championship, I don't want to say that we are going to win one, but we definitely have the possibility. There is still a lot to work for."

Acker was excited to take part in the team's trip to Hawaii as they played in the EA Sports Maui Invitational. He is looking forward to playing in the BIG EAST Tournament at Madison Square Garden in New York city, as well as the NCAA Tournament.

There is definitely one game that Acker has highlighted on the schedule. Georgetown visits the Bradley Center on Saturday, March 4, 2008, and Acker is ready to take on the team that reached the Final Four last season.

"I'm really looking forward to playing Georgetown. They were picked number one in the conference," Acker said. "They have high expectations again this year, but I like being the underdog. I can't wait for that game." Marquette will have the backing of the Bradley Center crowd when the Hoyas visit. MU has one of the best student sections in the country, and Acker witnessed that as a spectator last year.

"I think the crowd is going to help us out a lot. When the BIG EAST season comes around the arena will be filled," said Acker. "We're going to feed off of that and use it to our advantage."

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120207aab.html

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:03:42 AM by mu_hilltopper »