Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Retiring  (Read 89951 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Bo Retiring
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
Dick Bennett took them to a Final Four before Bo.

UW will be fine. They will not fall far.

Define far?

Is this too far?

Unless you think making the tourney 2 out of 3 years and making the second week once every five years is the goal, Barry has a daunting task to find someone to keep Bucky at its level of the last few years.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »
With Wardle at Bradley and Bo retiring, next year will Wojo be the elder statesmen of Wisconsin college basketball?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »
So... it's a school steeped in tradition of moral victories

So this is what it's like for Badger fans when Marquette haters take over their discussion board...
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »
Maymon

They didn't want Maymon.....are you really this dense?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2015, 02:42:03 PM »
The coaching fraternity will view this as a top tier vacancy.
Greg Gard is not the man for the job.
I doubt Bennett would take it.  Remember, he's not an alum.
But anyone not coaching at UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU, OSU would probably give it a look.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2015, 02:42:28 PM »
With Wardle at Bradley and Bo retiring, next year will Wojo be the elder statesmen of Wisconsin college basketball?

not unless Jeter gets fired......

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2015, 02:46:58 PM »
UW didn't recruit Maymon.

And as Buzz learned, MU shouldn't have either.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2015, 02:53:25 PM »
So, Bo's next gig is gonna be ridin' a dildo, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
Despite the fact that we in the states really couldn't care less about how royal succession works, Queen Elizabeth was an "heir contingent" before she ascended to the throne; she was first in line of succession, but if she had a brother born before her father passed, she would not have been queen (her younger brother would have been king).  Prince Charles, however, is an "heir apparent," meaning that nobody can vault in front of him (provided he's alive at the time of Queen Elizabeth's passing) and the only way he wouldn't be king is if he abdicated the throne.

"Why the lesson, Benny?"  Stop whining and be patient.... this is why:

Greg Gard is the heir apparent; he is not the heir contingent.  Sure, Barry is going to go through the motions of identifying, and perhaps interviewing other candidates, but unless Gard declines the job (not likely), these candidates are just going to go through an exercise.

Put it this way... if you have a star employee that you know is retiring, you want to get to work on hiring a replacement as soon as you can.  You don't say "can you stick around another year" unless you already have a damn good idea of who is taking over.  Conversely, if you're that employee who's retiring and you want your protege to succeed you, you don't announce your retirement to the world a year in advance and give your boss all of that time in which to find someone better.

Bo and Barry are doing this the right way.  Gard is going to effectively be the head coach by the end of the year, whether Bo is sitting on the bench or not.  If Bo had any inkling that Barry wasn't going to hire Gard, he would have kept his mouth shut and departed just before the conference season started.

I haven't heard anything in this specific regard, but I would be very surprised if Gard's HC contract hasn't already been drafted, approved by both parties, and is sitting in an "embargo file" somewhere out of the reach of FOIA.  Or maybe it's not.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2015, 02:56:15 PM »
They didn't want Maymon.....are you really this dense?
apparently
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »
So this is what it's like for Badger fans when Marquette haters take over their discussion board...
What are you talking about?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
Despite the fact that we in the states really couldn't care less about how royal succession works, Queen Elizabeth was an "heir contingent" before she ascended to the throne; she was first in line of succession, but if she had a brother born before her father passed, she would not have been queen (her younger brother would have been king).  Prince Charles, however, is an "heir apparent," meaning that nobody can vault in front of him (provided he's alive at the time of Queen Elizabeth's passing) and the only way he wouldn't be king is if he abdicated the throne.

Greg Gard is the heir apparent; he is not the heir contingent.  Sure, Barry is going to go through the motions of identifying, and perhaps interviewing other candidates, but unless Gard declines the job (not likely), these candidates are just going to go through an exercise.

Put it this way... if you have a star employee that you know is retiring, you want to get to work on hiring a replacement as soon as you can.  You don't say "can you stick around another year" unless you already have a damn good idea of who is taking over.  Conversely, if you're that employee who's retiring and you want your protege to succeed you, you don't announce your retirement to the world a year in advance and give your boss all of that time in which to find someone better.

Bo and Barry are doing this the right way.  Gard is going to effectively be the head coach by the end of the year, whether Bo is sitting on the bench or not.  If Bo had any inkling that Barry wasn't going to hire Gard, he would have kept his mouth shut and departed just before the conference season started.

I haven't heard anything in this specific regard, but I would be very surprised if Gard's HC contract hasn't already been drafted, approved by both parties, and is sitting in an "embargo file" somewhere out of the reach of FOIA.  Or maybe it's not.

Exactly.  They are hiring Gard.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »

Exactly.  They are hiring Gard.
I was whining about the lesson.  You make an excellent point though.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2015, 03:07:49 PM »
So who will be transferring out or decommitting with this news?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »
Define far?

Is this too far?

Unless you think making the tourney 2 out of 3 years and making the second week once every five years is the goal, Barry has a daunting task to find someone to keep Bucky at its level of the last few years.
There are only 3 programs in the US that have had more success over the last 2 years and two of them are Duke and Kentucky.

I hate it too, and someone else stated it, back to back final four success is systemic not completely tied to one coach. can they screw it up?  absolutely.  but i'd give them more credit.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
Define far?

Is this too far?

UW will continue to be an NCAA tournament team more years than not, with an occasional run past the first weekend.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2015, 03:22:01 PM »

Good post. And I appreciate the historical background  ;)

GOO

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2015, 03:47:48 PM »
So who will be transferring out or decommitting with this news?
By waiting until mid-summer, I suspect they all show up.  Some are probably already on campus and enrolled in summer school.

If this news broke in April, I suspect a few may have looked elsewhere.  Could this be an intended advantage to the wait to announce?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »
By waiting until mid-summer, I suspect they all show up.  Some are probably already on campus and enrolled in summer school.

If this news broke in April, I suspect a few may have looked elsewhere.  Could this be an intended advantage to the wait to announce?

That was my thought as well.  If they really want to go, they're gone.  But if they're on the fence, the fact that Bo waited until mid-summer probably causes them to stay for a season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2015, 04:01:40 PM »

I think so. We all know how Bo feels about transfers and early entrants (Uthoff situation, "rent-a-player" whinefest). By waiting until now, he pretty much ensures no one will transfer and no one (read: Hayes) can declare for the draft. With most of the players likely on campus and taking part in classes and workouts, it's pretty late in the game to decommit, especially as the coach they committed to will technically still be there.

I also think taking another year to coach may be calculated to help Gard. The reality is by the standards of the past few years, Wisconsin won't be very good next year. The top-4 streak likely ends next year and while I think they'll make the tourney, it will be an uphill battle to get there, especially with a more difficult than usual Big 10 schedule and a tougher league this year.

For Bo, it won't matter if the team disappoints. First, he'll be leaving, second, he's had so much sustained success, no one will hold one down year against him, especially on his way out the door. But if this next year was Gard's first year and the team missed the tourney and finished in the bottom half of the Big 10, it might be not just his first but his last year at the helm in Madison. This gives the new core of players time to acclimate so that Gard's first year is more likely to be successful.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
My letter to coach k spurred our good luck run with Bucky.  You're welcome.  He wrote back, I threw it out.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »
This puts a lot of pressure on Gard.

Badger lovers will give him 2-3 years to prove he can recruit and remain competitive (read .500 or higher), but his butt is going to be on a hot seat. This is somewhat similar to Hank Raymonds following up Al - who made Marquette Basketball synonymous to his persona - but it's different because Hank was more of an elder statesman at his HC juncture (Hank was 55 when taking the reins; Gard will be about 43 or 44).

And if Bo lingers about, his shadow will fall directly on Gard. For Gard's success, Bo needs to go directly into the deep Wisconsin woods and never show his face for a couple of years.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:08:56 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2015, 05:44:59 PM »
The coaching fraternity will view this as a top tier vacancy.
Greg Gard is not the man for the job.
I doubt Bennett would take it.  Remember, he's not an alum.
But anyone not coaching at UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU, OSU would probably give it a look.

Its a good job, but it's not THAT good.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »
Once again MUScoop was right (or at least some in the know posters). I guess the rumors on this board were correct.

Two years ago, this really wouldn't have mattered much as we were going after different recruits a lot.  Now, with Wojo, I think this is a good thing for MU.

who thought that?  how long ago?