[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Retiring  (Read 89991 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: Bo Retiring
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »
Not really.
Over the last five years, MU has landed Ellenson, Heldt, Cohen, D. Wilson and Burton.
UW has landed Pritzl, Koenig, Dekker and Showalter.
Seems like both schools have done well in-state.

How highly ranked were Pritzl, Koenig, Dekker and Showalter?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
If you are saying "can Greg Gard get the same production out of the same caliber recruits?"  Then I would agree that it is note likely.

But if you suggest that someone new, like Tony Bennett for example, isn't going to be able to build recruiting pipelines at Wisconsin, I think you are off base.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2015, 01:50:55 PM »
Two years ago, this really wouldn't have mattered much as we were going after different recruits a lot.  Now, with Wojo, I think this is a good thing for MU.

This could be a good thing for MU, but MU consistently beat out Bo for WI recruits, I'm not sure a new coach could do much worse in that department.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »

Pritzl (2015 #77 RSCI)
Koenig (2013 #79)
Dekker (2012 #19)

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
If you are saying "can Greg Gard get the same production out of the same caliber recruits?"  Then I would agree that it is note likely.

But if you suggest that someone new, like Tony Bennett for example, isn't going to be able to build recruiting pipelines at Wisconsin, I think you are off base.
I am saying Tony Bennett might but there is absolutely ZERO POINT ZERO PERCENT CHANCE of Bennett leaving UVA for UW.

My overall point is that no broadly sought-after coach would consider UW. If UW was open at the same time as UT, Shaka would not have even considered it for the same reason.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »

Pritzl (2015 #77 RSCI)
Koenig (2013 #79)
Dekker (2012 #19)
Not to send you on a run doing homework, but it's not like UW has this entitlement to the top 5 kids each year from WI, no? I mean who are they out-recruiting? Stout?

MU is consistently out-recruiting UW from 1:20 east on 94

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »

All but Showalter were top 100 kids.
Koenig was #79 on RSCI
Pritzl is top 50 on some lists  and #71 RSCI.
Dekker was a 5-star, top 20 recruit (#19 RSCI)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »
Not to send you on a run doing homework, but it's not like UW has this entitlement to the top 5 kids each year from WI, no? I mean who are they out-recruiting? Stout?

Who said they did?
You've gone from claiming they don't have a recruiting pipeline in the state, which is wrong, to arguing they don't have an entitlement on top 5 kids.
Nobody said they get all the top in-state players. No school gets all their top in-state players. But they're in on all of them and get a fair share of them ... hence, a recruiting pipeline.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »
Who said they did?
You've gone from claiming they don't have a recruiting pipeline in the state, which is wrong, to arguing they don't have an entitlement on top 5 kids.
Nobody said they get all the top in-state players. No school gets all their top in-state players. But they're in on all of them and get a fair share of them ... hence, a recruiting pipeline.
Fair share would mean half, right? Since there are only two major programs in state?

I'm defining pipeline as a stream of desirable, top-talent kids. Just having kids from WI go to your school isn't a pipeline.

Madison Memorial should, for example, be a slam dunk for them. They should be able to skim 100% of the players they recruit from there. It's an embarrassment that they don't.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2015, 01:58:27 PM »
From what I understand Bo is sticking around one more year for Koenig and Hayes

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »

You are really undermining your arguments with stupid comments like this.

Pritzl has a higher ranking than any guard coming into UW next year.  Koenig was just a few slots below Duane Wilson.  Dekker was the highest rated player to come out of Wisconsin until Looney came out last year.  

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2015, 02:00:05 PM »
TONY BENNETT IS THE ONLY COACH THAT CAN SAVE BADGER BB.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »
From what I understand Bo is sticking around one more year for Koenig and Hayes

Koenig is only going to be a junior so I don't know how that fits. He sure as hell isn't going pro after next year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »
This could be a good thing for MU, but MU consistently beat out Bo for WI recruits, I'm not sure a new coach could do much worse in that department.

Yeah, except this isn't true.
Remember, MU hasn't recruited every UW commitment from the state, and vice-versa.
When MU and UW have gone head-to-head for in-state players, it's been at best an even split.
In recent years, MU beat them for Henry Ellenson and Vander Blue.
They beat MU for Brevin Pritzl and Sam Dekker.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2015, 02:02:45 PM »
Madison Memorial should, for example, be a slam dunk for them. They should be able to skim 100% of the players they recruit from there. It's an embarrassment that they don't.

They got 1 of the 2 players they targeted from Memorial.

Keaton Nankivill went there.  Vander Blue verballed and backed out.  They didn't want Maymon (for obvious reasons).  

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2015, 02:03:39 PM »

You are really undermining your arguments with stupid comments like this.

Pritzl has a higher ranking than any guard coming into UW next year.  Koenig was just a few slots below Duane Wilson.  Dekker was the highest rated player to come out of Wisconsin until Looney came out last year.  

But look at who they missed on. Im not even talking about the big names like Stone and Ellenson because they can be kinda a crap shoot. Im talking about players like Vander, Wes, Fischer. Or even players like Sharma. They have people who weren't going anywhere else like Bronson and Dekker.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »
But look at who they missed on. Im not even talking about the big names like Stone and Ellenson because they can be kinda a crap shoot. Im talking about players like Vander, Wes, Fischer. Or even players like Sharma. They have people who weren't going anywhere else like Bronson and Dekker.

As top 100 kids, Bronson and Dekker could have gone many places.  They chose UW.  How can you downgrade those recruitments?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »

Which coach/program gets every top player in their home state?
Sharma is from Massachusetts.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2015, 02:19:08 PM »

They got 1 of the 2 players they targeted from Memorial.

Keaton Nankivill went there.  Vander Blue verballed and backed out.  They didn't want Maymon (for obvious reasons).  

Wes Matthews?  (overall I agree with you though)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2015, 02:20:08 PM »

Oh thanks.  1 of 3.  They were finalists for all three.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »

Make the right hire and they'll be fine.  Hell they screwed up the first coach post Dick Bennett and they rebounded nicely.  No reason UW can't be a consistent winner.

Bucky has no basketball tradition outside of Bo.  The barely made the tourney outside of Bo.

Arkansas under Richardson, LSU under Dale Brown.  Oklahoma State under Eddie Sutton, Indiana under Knight. Great coaches that saw their programs permently slip once they left.

This is Bucky's risk, if the next coach slips, the fall into the abyss of being a 6th place B1G team every year.  Occassionally they are very good, but then NIT bound the next. That is ok for most schools but I think the Bucky faithful would be disappointed.

This is not UNC or Kansas, or even Indiana, it will be very hard to recover from the next hire.

Unless you think making the tourney 2 out of 3 years and making the second week once every five years is the goal, Barry has a daunting task to find someone to keep Bucky at its level of the last few years.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2015, 02:26:45 PM »
Bucky has no basketball tradition outside of Bo.  The barely made the tourney outside of Bo.

Arkansas under Richardson, LSU under Dale Brown.  Oklahoma State under Eddie Sutton, Indiana under Knight. Great coaches that saw their programs permently slip once they left.

This is Bucky's risk, if the next coach slips, the fall into the abyss of being a 6th place B1G team every year.  Occassionally they are very good, but then NIT bound the next. That is ok for most schools but I think the Bucky faithful would be disappointed.

This is not UNC or Kansas, or even Indiana, it will be very hard to recover from the next hire.

Unless you think making the tourney 2 out of 3 years and making the second week once every five years is the goal, Barry has a daunting task to find someone to keep Bucky at its level of the last few years.

Dick Bennett took them to a Final Four before Bo.

UW will be fine. They will not fall far.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »
I'd probably quit too if I missed out on players like Henry and diamond in my own state

I think that most coaches would be willing to miss out on Ellenson and Diamond for two back to back final fours.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
Maymon

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »